Author Topic: Are convicted felons allowed to vote in Arizona?  (Read 905 times)

Offline dutch508

• Remember
Are convicted felons allowed to vote in Arizona?
« on: January 17, 2018, 09:26:34 PM »
Star Member question everything (31,952 posts) https://www.democraticunderground.com/100210112691

Are convicted felons allowed to vote in Arizona?

If no, how come one - Arpaio - can run for office?

Oh, and he did not realize that accepting a pardon means admitting guilt..

how can Manning run for Senate?

The torch of moral clarity since 12/18/07

2016 DOTY: 06 Omaha Steve - Is dying for ****'s face! How could you not vote for him, you heartless bastards!?!

Offline DLR Pyro

Re: Are convicted felons allowed to vote in Arizona?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2018, 10:07:47 PM »
how can Manning run for Senate?

Hi-5 :cheersmate:
Biden is an illegitimate President.  Change my mind.

Police lives matter.

Basking in the glow of my white privilege

ProudDad Donating Member (1000+ posts) Wed Mar-09-11 08:50 PM
64.I'd almost be willing to get a job in order to participate in
A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE
  https://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=102x4763020

Offline thundley4

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2018, 03:10:23 AM »
Quite a few demonrats have ran for office after convictions.

East Chicago councilman charged with murder takes oath of office while behind bars

East Chicago City Councilman Robert Battle took the oath of office from behind bars at the Porter County Jail last week.

Battle was re-elected to his council seat in November, one month after murder and drug charges were filed by the federal government.

An unnamed official was brought in to do the swearing-in on Friday for Battle, who is being held in federal custody at the Porter County facility, according to Sheriff David Reynolds.

"There is no reason for me to deny it legally," Reynolds said, adding he spoke to the U.S. marshal, who agreed. Battle could have chosen to be sworn in via video conferencing but opted for an in-person oath, Reynolds said.

Indiana law permits Battle to hold his seat – and collect the $42,365 salary that it pays – until he resigns, admits his guilt on any of the charges or is found guilty in court. Battle, a Democrat, ran unopposed in November and received 308 votes.
http://www.chicagotribune.com/suburbs/post-tribune/news/ct-ptb-barra-sworn-in-st-0124-20160124-story.html

Offline FlaGator

• Another Pilgrim
  • Democracy can survive anything except Democrats
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2018, 05:58:46 AM »
Actually, accepting a pardon does not mean one is acknowledging guilt. It means that one is no longer considered guilty in the eyes of the law and the conviction is removed from one's record.

Bradley Manning, on the other hand,  had his 35-year sentence commuted by President Obama to time served which means the guilty plea and guilty verdict are still on his record.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2018, 06:02:26 AM by FlaGator »
"My enemy's enemy is the enemy I kill last."
Klingon Proverb.