Author Topic: Medicaid Work Requirements  (Read 2244 times)

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
Medicaid Work Requirements
« on: January 11, 2018, 02:27:13 PM »
https://www.democraticunderground.com/100210085782

Thu Jan 11, 2018, 10:41 AM
Ohiogal (264 posts)

I'm so furious, I'm ready to spit tacks, so I hope this post makes sense.

This is about Seema Verma and Trump and their condescending attitudes towards Medicaid recipients who aren't working.

First of all, let me say that I believe that, if someone is scamming the system, then they absolutely should be kicked off Medicaid. That goes without saying.

But ......

I can think of two scenarios that are pretty common where an able-bodied person should be allowed to receive Medicaid.

1. A single mom with small children. If Republicans want to institute work requirements, they'd better be prepared to provide free quality daycare to single moms, and that isn't cheap.

2. A parent or spouse who is a caregiver to an ill spouse or to a special-needs child. Do Republicans want these selfless family members to go work at McDonald's "because it is good for them" and leave a special needs family member to languish at home or in the care of strangers (which would be costly as well, and, again, who would pay for that)?

Republicans are so goddam clueless as to what people in the real world have to go through! I despise them all! They are so goddam sanctimonious and judgmental when they look at a poor person.

And, when Verma was in charge of Medicaid in Indiana, get this .... Medicaid recipients were required to deposit a small monthly premium into a bank account, say $20. And if they missed a payment, as punishment they were booted off Medicaid for six months! How does this help anyone??? "They need to have skin in the game," was the reason, I've read. Well I know some families to whom an extra $20 a month is a hard thing to come by. And the paperwork involved to keep track of all these folks proved to be so costly, it actually cost the state MORE to institute this stupid program than it did to just give poor people the Medicaid.

Again, I'm so mad I'm seeing red, and I hope my post makes sense.

Were you throwing a fit about Obamacare?  If not, why?  Ever heard the term 'Individual Mandate?'  That piece of legislation was a WHOLE lot more than $20/month.

And what is it that bothers you DUmmies so much about trying to teach people how to be fiscally responsible?  Afraid they'll learn they can do it without any help from big government and realize they are conservative?

Irish_Dem (5,040 posts)

2. The GOP resents any money going to Americans.They see the US Treasury as their personal bank account

We don't resent money going to those who need it.  Not in the slightest.  We also don't have a problem with OUR money going to them with STRINGS attached.  Guess what, loser, if you're going to take my money, I have every right to demand accountability.

Irish_Dem (5,040 posts)

8. We have a corrupt government filled with sociopaths. And many with a money addiction.

No amount of money is ever enough.

CountAllVotes (15,842 posts)

10. It is an addiction

and a bad one too, an addiction to criminal behavior IMO.

It causes these creeps to lie, cheat and steal to get more more more.

When do they ever have enough? NEVER!

Last conversation with both sets had the words stock market rolling off their lips before anything else was mentioned. Not even a "How are you" or any such courtesy.

GRAND OLD PIGS is what they are! GRAND indeed! I hope they all rot in hell with their piles of money and lies!

Uhm ... Who are the ones demanding more, more, MORE!!!??  WE cannot give to the takers fast enough or big enough.  The takers are the greedy ones.  Those who are demanding money from those who EARNED it.

Lindsay (2,605 posts)

4. The "skin in the game" meme

infuriates me.

Your skin, their game

Yeah, those who have no skin in the game usually get pissed when those of us who are giving you money get to tell you how to spend some of that money, or we demand you take a class to teach you how to be a responsible spender.

More at the link.

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline SVPete

Re: Medicaid Work Requirements
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2018, 02:36:11 PM »
Don't like work requirements and means testing? Blame the scammers who are the reason for anti-fraud measures.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline Old n Grumpy

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2018, 02:40:38 PM »
A single mom with small children.

If her husband died or the marridge broke up that is on thing. if the children are because she can't keep her legs together that is totally different. at some point in thier lives people need to take charge of their lives and get them back on track.
Life is tough and it’s even tougher when you’re stupid

Basking in the glow of my white Privilege, while I water the Begonias with liberal tears!

I will give up my guns when the liberals give up their illegal aliens

We need a Bull Shit tax to make the Democrats go broke!

Offline landofconfusion80

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2018, 03:10:18 PM »
"Everybody's got to have some skin in the game."
- B. Obama, 2009
One Who Grows (244 posts)
20. absolute bullshit. the cave is unspeakably vile.

I don't know how any of you can live with yourselves.

:)

Offline DUmpsterDiver

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2018, 08:09:31 PM »
>1. A single mom with small children. If Republicans want to institute work requirements, they'd better be prepared to provide free quality daycare to single moms, and that isn't cheap.

Either get on the pill or quit being a sperm receptive ninny.   I have no need to pay for bad choices and just plain stupid moves.
I better quit before I sound mean.

Offline diesel driver

• Creepy Ass Cracker and Smart-Ass White Boy!
  • Enhancing My Carbon Footprint!
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2018, 05:41:10 AM »
Ohiogal (264 posts)

I'm so furious, I'm ready to spit tacks, so I hope this post makes sense.

This is about Seema Verma and Trump and their condescending attitudes towards Medicaid recipients who aren't working.

First of all, let me say that I believe that, if someone is scamming the system, then they absolutely should be kicked off Medicaid. That goes without saying.

If you're too ****ing lazy to jump thru a few hoops to get your "free" benefits, then maybe you just need to starve...

And, when Verma was in charge of Medicaid in Indiana, get this .... Medicaid recipients were required to deposit a small monthly premium into a bank account, say $20.

GOOD!!

And if they missed a payment, as punishment they were booted off Medicaid for six months! How does this help anyone??? "They need to have skin in the game," was the reason, I've read.

Refer to my first comment...

Well I know some families to whom an extra $20 a month is a hard thing to come by.

BULLSHIT!!!  A couple fewer trips to MickeyD's a month takes care of that, with change...

And the paperwork involved to keep track of all these folks proved to be so costly, it actually cost the state MORE to institute this stupid program than it did to just give poor people the Medicaid.

And yet, having the IRS "keeping track" of those who did and didn't pay for Odumbasscare was free, right?   :thatsright:

I'll bet this DUmmies is against voter registration as well.

1. A single mom with small children. If Republicans want to institute work requirements, they'd better be prepared to provide free quality daycare to single moms, and that isn't cheap.

Lots of churches provide free daycare...

Murphy's 3rd Law:  "You can't make anything 'idiot DUmmie proof'.  The world will just create a better idiot DUmmie."

Liberals are like Slinkys.  Basically useless, but they do bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs...

Global warming supporters believe that a few hundred million tons of CO2 has more control over our climate than a million mile in diameter, unshielded thermo-nuclear fusion reactor at the middle of the solar system.

"A dead enemy is a peaceful enemy.  Blessed be the peacemakers". - U.S. Marine Corp

You can't fix stupid, but you can vote it out of office.

Offline I_B_Perky

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2018, 10:28:58 PM »
Personally I like it.  Those that sit on their ass all day and live off the rest of us need to get their ass in the employment game.  Businesses are hiring everywhere thanks to the economy that President Trump has fostered.  Jobs are waaay easier than they were under the obumbles economy.
Living in the Dummies minds rent free since 2009!

Montani Semper Liberi

Offline DUmpsterDiver

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2018, 10:33:29 PM »
>Again, I'm so mad I'm seeing red, and I hope my post makes sense.

It makes perfect sense if you are a "Red" commie filth moron like you are.  Most of you democrat trash want a free ride by we that work for a living.  ESAD while your DNA goes by the wayside.

Offline Adam Wood

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2018, 02:50:39 AM »
Quote from: Silly Ohio Primitive
Well I know some families to whom an extra $20 a month is a hard thing to come by.
But a thousand dollars (which is $1000/12 = $83.33 per month) is "crumbs."

What we have here is a defective stormwater control device, better known as a bum ditch.

Offline diesel driver

• Creepy Ass Cracker and Smart-Ass White Boy!
  • Enhancing My Carbon Footprint!
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2018, 07:55:51 AM »
Personally I like it.  Those that sit on their ass all day and live off the rest of us need to get their ass in the employment game.  Businesses are hiring everywhere thanks to the economy that President Trump has fostered.  Jobs are waaay easier than they were under the obumbles economy.

There are PLENTY of things someone on Welfare/Medicaid can do for their benefits outside of having to "get a job".

The court system refers to it as "community service".  20-30 hours/week ain't gonna kill anybody, and the fresh air and exercise will do them some good as well...
Murphy's 3rd Law:  "You can't make anything 'idiot DUmmie proof'.  The world will just create a better idiot DUmmie."

Liberals are like Slinkys.  Basically useless, but they do bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs...

Global warming supporters believe that a few hundred million tons of CO2 has more control over our climate than a million mile in diameter, unshielded thermo-nuclear fusion reactor at the middle of the solar system.

"A dead enemy is a peaceful enemy.  Blessed be the peacemakers". - U.S. Marine Corp

You can't fix stupid, but you can vote it out of office.

Offline I_B_Perky

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2018, 05:42:49 PM »
There are PLENTY of things someone on Welfare/Medicaid can do for their benefits outside of having to "get a job".

The court system refers to it as "community service".  20-30 hours/week ain't gonna kill anybody, and the fresh air and exercise will do them some good as well...

Helping to build on wall on the US-Mexico border?   :whistling:
Living in the Dummies minds rent free since 2009!

Montani Semper Liberi

Offline RobJohnson

« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2018, 02:47:36 AM »
Didn't President Clinton's Medicaid reform include work or education requirements?

Offline 67 Rover

« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2018, 06:29:27 AM »
Didn't President Clinton's Medicaid reform include work or education requirements?

Yea but he "evolved" in his thinking or at least that is the excuse they use every time one flip flops on an issue.
NRA Benefactor member
G.O.A. Life member
G.O.A.L. Life member
Certified Law Enforcement Sig Armorer