Author Topic: DU {who} will have the Deacon's Neck?  (Read 2693 times)

Offline zeitgeist

DU {who} will have the Deacon's Neck?
« on: December 30, 2017, 08:23:43 AM »

Here we have an  excellent example of Kalifornia Kommies fighting over the right to Konfiscate their Komerade neighbor's goods.

https://www.democraticunderground.com/?com=view_post&forum=1002&pid=10037878

ansible (251 posts)

California housing crisis affecting middle class the most: It's 'a broken system'

For all of its claims of being an economic paradise, California is a failure when it comes to housing.

Not just low-income, affordable housing, but middle-income, working-class housing for teachers, firemen and long-time residents hoping to live anywhere near work.

"California has a housing crisis. We can't provide housing to our citizens," said Rita Brandin, with San Diego developer Newland Communities. "In Georgia, Texas and Florida, it can take a year and a half from concept to permits. In California, just the process from concept to approvals, is five years – that does not include the environmental lawsuits faced by 90 percent of projects."

Numbers tell the story of California's housing crisis.

* 75 percent of Southern Californians can't afford to buy a home, according to the state realtors association.

* 16 of the 25 least affordable communities in the US are in California, according to 24/7 Wall Street.

* Officials this year declared a homeless emergency in San Francisco, Los Angeles, San Diego and Orange counties.

* 56 percent of state voters say they may have to move because of a lack of affordable housing. One in four say they will relocate out of state, according to University of California Berkeley's Institute of Governmental Studies. 

<snip> for brevity.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/12/14/california-housing-crisis-affecting-middle-class-most-its-broken-system.html

DUREC

When I first encountered this thread I just assumed it would be gone by morning.  After all,  a low count, no 'count, posting a link to Faux Snooze?  I could almost hear the alert buttons being activated.  It had about four replies.  Now it has over seventy!!

Imagine my surprise when I went back and found this gem still alive and kicking.  It did take an interesting turn that I will leave for the more daring among us to go investigate.  Suffice to say, the comments are really priceless, but then in a free society, isn't everything else too, Komerade?

Skinner must be on a long weekend in the islands escaping the cold 'cause we appear to have a Maverick here violating the TOS all over the place.  Linking to Faux, bashing fellow Democratics, oh the Huge Manatee!  Where will it all end??   :naughty:

PS.  If this is someone's mole, :hi5: !!

< watch this space for coming distractions >

Offline USA4ME

• Evil Capitalist
Re: DU {who} will have the Deacon's Neck?
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2017, 09:02:40 AM »
Quote from:
politicaljunkie41910

32. Where is all this magical land people are talking about building on? I've lived in California all my life except for the 5 years I spent in the military. I can recall as a child when you could drive out of LA headed East to Pomona and it was all green grass and hills. Try and find some vacant land between LA and Pomona today. It doesn't exist. I was stationed at Fort Ord when I got out of the military. I remember when you could drive from Monterey to San Jose and it was mostly agriculture and vacant land in between. Now it's wall to wall housing.

I can recall going to a college football came in Fresno at Cal State Fresno in 1999 and there was one main street and not much else. It was mostly an agricultural town. Now all that was once farmland is housing. You have houses costing almost a half million dollars on 5000sf lots. I know what I'm talking about because my son and my grandkids live there.

When I left Monterey to return to a more affordable Southern California in 1981, I bought a house in Ontario and there was still lots of land there for development. I can still remember the drive from Ontario to Riverside when there was lots of vacant land in between. Not so much any more. There is a lack of affordable housing throughout the state, but it's not a result of building permits taking such a long time. It's because a lot of people enjoy living here in spite of the high costs and the long commutes.

Quote from:
Cicada

38. No. Developers would happily build a thousand 50 story apartment buildings in San Francisco.

We have underused as well as vacant land.

Quote from:
Sen. Walter Sobchak

48. You are aware most of San Francisco is a sand dune right?

Quote from:
Cicada

50. I did not know that more than a small part is a sand dune.

I thought that the part created by dumping sand in the bay was less than 20% of the city.

I am sure developers can find a solution. High rise apartments can be built in Oakland with catapults on the roof launching workers into a giant net built on the sand dunes in San Francisco or something. Amazon can drone deliver people to offices in San Francisco where bosses can use their smart phones to tell the drones when to drop the employees into the net.

Driverless busses from the Oakland apartments. We might need to build another dozen or so bridges across the bay. People can be permitted to live in their offices.
While in grad school I lived in my lab for 3 months. It was actually great. My former girlfriend slept in Thurgood Marshall’s bathtub at the Supreme Court the year she clerked for him (to save time not money).

We are Democrats. We can figure out good solutions to help people. I really believe that.

Nut job or clever mole? You decide.

Because third world peasant labor is a good thing.

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2017, 09:08:06 AM »
Before going over to swim in the filth, I have to say that unless they go into seawater desalinization on a Manhattan Project scale, the building thing is an insoluble problem that drives those enviro lawsuits.  SoCal has stolen about all the water they possibly can from their neighboring states and there just ain't no more to get.  They're bumping into an actual physical limit to growth, even aside from their own regulation-choked approach to life generally.

Later that day...

After a dip in the cesspool, it was surprising how long it took them to get around to the Faux Newz attack, there were a few rational ones.  I'm glad so many of those idiots demand to stay in safe DemonRat territory and refuse to consider moving to better places.  One post got me laughing, when the DUmmie started talking about how much more fantastic business growth would be if they had enough housing to get all those highly-trained wonder-workers they need, overlooking a few things - like how much of the available housing is full of illegals and other State dependents, why all those supposed super employees can't outcompete the welfare families for the housing, and why the said corporations don't just move to where they CAN get employees who can afford to work for them.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2017, 09:30:49 AM by DumbAss Tanker »
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline SVPete

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2017, 09:46:25 AM »
MIRT Alert! MIRT Alert!!! Noobie committed Truthing and linked/quoted from Fox News!!!

"California has a housing crisis. We can't provide housing to our citizens," said Rita Brandin, with San Diego developer Newland Communities. "In Georgia, Texas and Florida, it can take a year and a half from concept to permits. In California, just the process from concept to approvals, is five years – that does not include the environmental lawsuits faced by 90 percent of projects."

About 3 1/2 years ago a restaurant in San Jose had a fire that destroyed the restaurant. It took the land owners a year or more to get the permit(s) just to tear down the safety hazard building shell. So Brandin's comment probably understates the problem significantly. E.G., she does not mention how many agencies' permits are required. CA's lunatic housing market is due to government-created scarcity.

This is a really sore topic for me. One of my kids married several years ago. They both have good paying jobs, by Silicon Valley standards - not executives or senior engineer-guru grade, but good. They looked around and realized that in Silicon Valley, at best, they could afford a tiny condo in a meh neighborhood or a run-down fixer-upper in a scary neighborhood. So a couple of months ago the started looking in the San Diego area, bought a move-in-OK house in a decent neighborhood, and moved there 4 weeks ago. We're very happy for them, obviously. We are not happy that they are now 500-600 miles away from us.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline SVPete

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2017, 10:05:11 AM »
Before going over to swim in the filth, I have to say that unless they go into seawater desalinization on a Manhattan Project scale, the building thing is an insoluble problem that drives those enviro lawsuits.  SoCal has stolen about all the water they possibly can from their neighboring states and there just ain't no more to get.  They're bumping into an actual physical limit to growth, even aside from their own regulation-choked approach to life generally.

Later that day...

After a dip in the cesspool, it was surprising how long it took them to get around to the Faux Newz attack, there were a few rational ones.  I'm glad so many of those idiots demand to stay in safe DemonRat territory and refuse to consider moving to better places.  One post got me laughing, when the DUmmie started talking about how much more fantastic business growth would be if they had enough housing to get all those highly-trained wonder-workers they need, overlooking a few things - like how much of the available housing is full of illegals and other State dependents, why all those supposed super employees can't outcompete the welfare families for the housing, and why the said corporations don't just move to where they CAN get employees who can afford to work for them.

Israel does desalination on a significant scale. Developing the technology isn't the problem. So that must mean ...

... wait for it ...

... you know it's coming ...

... Enviros have blocked development of serious desalination in CA.

I started a new job in fall of last year. It's a better job in may ways than my previous job, but the change was not entirely voluntary. My previous employer found that they could not attract new, fresh-out-of-college engineers and manglement people (let alone less paid workers). "You will have to live two hours' drive away and will probably never be able to afford a house much closer than that," for some reason was not a compelling recruitment spiel. So in May of 2016 they let people know that they were beginning the 17-month process of moving everything to either a plant in PA or a plant in Orange County, CA.

The city in PA was basically a one-company town tech-wise, with no nearby cities. It would have been a dead end for me. My group, though, was going to Orange County. We would have left family, friends, church, doctors and dentist, the home we'd owned for over 25 years to start life again with a job in a union shop whose seniority rules would have stripped me of 6 years of seniority. So I started looking for a new job in Silicon Valley, with moving to Orange County being Plan B or C (if we were to move hundreds of miles away, why not consider other states?).
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2017, 12:04:46 PM »
Israel does desalination on a significant scale. Developing the technology isn't the problem. So that must mean ...

... wait for it ...

... you know it's coming ...

... Enviros have blocked development of serious desalination in CA.

I started a new job in fall of last year. It's a better job in may ways than my previous job, but the change was not entirely voluntary. My previous employer found that they could not attract new, fresh-out-of-college engineers and manglement people (let alone less paid workers). "You will have to live two hours' drive away and will probably never be able to afford a house much closer than that," for some reason was not a compelling recruitment spiel. So in May of 2016 they let people know that they were beginning the 17-month process of moving everything to either a plant in PA or a plant in Orange County, CA.

The city in PA was basically a one-company town tech-wise, with no nearby cities. It would have been a dead end for me. My group, though, was going to Orange County. We would have left family, friends, church, doctors and dentist, the home we'd owned for over 25 years to start life again with a job in a union shop whose seniority rules would have stripped me of 6 years of seniority. So I started looking for a new job in Silicon Valley, with moving to Orange County being Plan B or C (if we were to move hundreds of miles away, why not consider other states?).

Question; is there a reason to go to the office?  Is telecommuting an option?

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline Carl

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2017, 12:50:08 PM »
As usual,the rich leftist elites live fine while the useful idiots they convince they are going to make prosperous live in various levels of squalor.

Gee,after the Soviet Union,Cuba and Venezuela who could have seen that coming? 

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2017, 01:24:05 PM »
DUmmies, do you know what our housing crisis is? Buyers too stupid to NOT wait for the market to drop.
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline SVPete

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2017, 04:58:30 PM »

Question; is there a reason to go to the office?  Is telecommuting an option?

KC

I work in power electronics, so no.

Offline DUmpsterDiver

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2017, 11:09:18 PM »
Speaking of the Deacon Blues ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2A0wGO3c2T8

Learn to work the saxophone
I play just what I feel
Drink Scotch whiskey all night long
And die behind the wheel
They got a name for the winners in the world
I want a name when I lose
They call Alabama the Crimson Tide
Call me Deacon Blues

Offline freedumb2003b

« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2017, 06:29:16 AM »
I guess someone also thinks skins is away... this is TREASON on DU:

sarah FAILIN (1,787 posts)

87. Are you aware of this thing we had with England..a Revolutionary war????

We do not follow any royal laws here. There are no royal patents in this country.

I have already told you how you can get a home of your own. Move to a less expensive area. You do not have to live in Ca.

As for other people getting rich and you not getting rich, you have to take the initiative to either go to school and work hard for the money you want or invent something everyone will want then find a way to produce and sell it. Laws are not going to "fix" other people getting rich while you only complain about it.

I was wrong when I said these posts were funny. They are insane.
Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an ax

Hello to the Baizuo lurkers from DU, DI, JPR and Huffpo

DUmmies can no more understand the "Cave" than a rat can understand a thunderbolt, but they fear it just the same. Fear the "Cave", DUmmies. Fear it well. Big Dog 12-Jan-2015

Proud charter member of the Death Squad Hate Force! https://conservativecave.com/home/index.php?topic=112331.msg1386168#msg1386168

Ted Kennedy is the only person with an actual confirmed kill in the war on women.

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2017, 09:57:15 AM »
That whole thread over there is very telling. The ones who are all for outright confiscation of personal property obviously have none.

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2018, 01:00:04 AM »
That whole thread over there is very telling. The ones who are all for outright confiscation of personal property obviously have none.

KC

Sounds like BLM.
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2018, 07:27:24 AM »
I guess someone also thinks skins is away... this is TREASON on DU:

ALERT!  ALERT!  ALERT!

:ohnoes: :ohnoes: :ohnoes:
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.