Author Topic: Definitely Not a Newsworthy Item  (Read 1034 times)

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
Definitely Not a Newsworthy Item
« on: November 27, 2017, 09:52:55 AM »
Just a bit of an update. Mrs. E and I moved from the doldrums of the Mississippi Delta (which is, oddly enough, in the northwestern corner of the state, not down toward Louisiana as you might expect) to the Little Rock, AR area.

As we had moved from the north-central Missouri doldrums to the MS Delta in the summer of 2015, and from that particular home (a rental house) into a house we bought in October 2016, this makes three full-blown moves in a little over two years.

God, I hate moving. Royal pain in the ass. But it had to be done.

The reason for the move was amplified on a different thread -- I was laid off from my MS job, and was forced to find work elsewhere.

The MS Delta isn't noted for its thriving economy. Let's just say for the sake of conversation that it's pretty f'n depressed.

So here we are, located about 20 miles north of LR proper. It's a hilly and charming area, with a thriving economy -- pretty much the polar opposite of the MS Delta.

Bought a house that DOESN'T have an HOA attached to it. For the love of God, I simply don't understand how people can throw away a fundamental right of property ownership to a shapeless, unnamed "corporation" acting as a "Hey, We Know Better Than You Do About Your Home and the F'n Morons That Live Around You."

Such folks are worried about Bubba parking his 1959 Ford F100 truck up on blocks in his front year and leaving it there to rot; or of Bubba's broken-down couch on the front porch.

There is an upscale area in West Little Rock called Chenay Parkway. The HOA there actually REQUIRES homeowners to store their trash containers in their garage. They're NOT ALLOWED to store them next to the garage, or in some other out-of-the-way-but visible place.

AYFKM? This is what I'm talking about. And people - apparently MANY people - are okay with this.

Anyway, Mrs. E and I bought ourselves a new dishwasher. The old one wasn't broken, we simply hated it. Crappy design, poor performance, ergonomics suck. So I uninstalled it, finding a fairly significant electrical problem. Fixed that by installing a power cord and an outlet. Routed the drain hose and its extension where it needed to go. Found an incredible walking trail for the dogs and kicked our asses (and the dogs' asses) in walking it yesterday.

When I'm done with working in less than two years, or possibly less than that, we will retire here. The stuff I do to the house will be done properly, because I don't want to have to f(*U around with it later. And I don't want the place to burn down either.

In short, and to quote Hickok45 - "Life Is Good."

:-)
« Last Edit: November 27, 2017, 01:48:22 PM by Eupher »
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
Re: Definitely Not a Newsworthy Item
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2017, 01:35:39 PM »
Another Hickok45 subscriber! :yahoo: :cheersmate: :hi5: :-)
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.