Author Topic: I lost my mother, and it's even worse than that.  (Read 3082 times)

Offline AzJames73

• Deplorable
I lost my mother, and it's even worse than that.
« on: November 24, 2017, 06:27:23 AM »
mnmoderatedem (1,445 posts)                   https://www.democraticunderground.com/10029878492

I recently lost my mother. She was 82 years old. Went quietly in her sleep. She had arthritis which was debilitating, but was otherwise in good health. Sadly, her body was not discovered for quite some time (my brother ad I both live out of state, I'll explain later) and there was no autopsy possible, and she was forced to be cremated due to the decomposition of her body. I'm still struggling with this, and always will.

To give some background, my mother in her later years unfortunately became a Faux News addict. To be honest, she was never really what one would call a "well informed" person. She started watching Faux News in her last few years, believing that made her well informed, and we found her always wanting to fire up political debates with everyone, something she had never done in the past. Mostly railing away at liberal media bias, and hating democrats, because Faux News tells her to. Would start trying to pick fights out of nowhere at times. I would calmly and methodically point out things like Medicare and Social Security, which of course she heavily depended on, were brought about by democratic administrations and opposed by republicans including her demigod Ronald Reagan. Told her if it were up to Reagan, she would have no medicare. Whenever I gave her a calm, factual retort like that, she would just stammer, sort of red faced, realizing she was wrong, and say nothing. Then later on after some passage of time, would continue with democrat bashing, as of course Faux News told her to.

So recently, her oldest granddaughter, my niece, went to study overseas for a semester, in Spain, where she is now. Which did not sit well with my mother as Faux News got her so wound up about mid east terrorist attacks in Europe that she was so certain that sending her granddaughter overseas was a sure death sentence, as she sure to be killed over there by those terrorist muslims. Then the Barcelona attack occurred, which made things worse. Of course this caused a lot of acrimony with my brother and his wife, as she did not merely express concern over the situation, she kept insisting in a heavy handed manner, never letting go of it. It reached a boiling point with my brother and his wife, naturally. So over Labor Day weekend, I made the trip to visit her, which I normally did every year. We had a nice time, but at the end of the weekend I had to have a talk with her, as to how she has to stop this intrusiveness, how she's being overbearing and overstepping her bounds, as her granddaughter could just as easily be victim of a campus gunfire attack a la Virginia Tech as she could be killed by a terrorist in Spain, and she has to stop with the constant hand wringing. Then of course she responded with anger at me, for "taking their side" and the like. My attempt at enlightening her was going nowhere, so I left, told her I loved her and we'll talk later, and she ignored me as I walked out.

So then there was phone silence, calling neither myself or my brother, as was not uncommon for her when she went into one of these types of rants. We figured it was just another bout of poutiness, and would smooth over by the holidays. This was not at all uncommon for her, phone silence when there was a family blowup. Very common for her, in fact. Turns out she was not calling because she passed away in her sleep, unbeknownst to any of us. We don't even know what day she died, probably around the first week in October. This is why her body was not discovered until later. My ugly Labor Day conversation with her was to be my last.

So now it's Thanksgiving. It was always "our day" between me and mom. My brother, as per tradition, spent the holiday with his in laws, as some holidays are with the in laws, some are with family. So Turkey Day was always just me and mom. This of course is the first one without her and it's tough. My mother was a good hearted person, involved in Al Anon and Alateen, voluntarily counseled females in prison, was great with small children, used to be a school teacher long ago. Just a pity Faux News poisoned her mind in her later years, and caused such issues and bad blood in the family. This Thanksgiving Day is a hard one for me, and I had to vent, and could not think of a better place than here.

RIP mom. I love you.

Blaming the death on Fox News ?  :thatsright:

mountain grammy (15,627 posts)
20. Im so sorry.

It’s even sadder to lose our loved ones before they die..Fox has so much to atone for, but of course never will. Make America sad again.

You are a sad person

pandr32 (2,904 posts)
39. Thank you for sharing your story

I'll bet many others have separated over the brainwashing of Fox so-called news and hate radio. It is causing nothing but misery, hate, and divisiveness.
Sincere condolences to you and your family.

No. A majority, if not all you DUmmies want NOTHING to do with anyone in your family just because of political differences. I have a few friends that are libs, but we still talk and joke. We do not discuss political issues  :bird:

Offline Carl

• Global Moderator
Re: I lost my mother, and it's even worse than that.
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2017, 07:41:39 AM »
Her death is on you,you miserable piece of shit.

Elderly and infirmed and you had to make politics the essence of your relationship.

I hope you die slowly,alone and in intense pain.  :censored:

Offline SVPete

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2017, 08:36:37 AM »
If mnmoderatedem lives long enough without frying whatever brain she has with recreational chemicals, she may come to understand older people's love and concern for their grandchildren.

Since the terror attacks in Spain and France and Germany and ... really happened and ABC, CBS, CNN, and NBC reported the attacks when they came up from air between their lip-locked spells on Obama's @$$, the Mom would have been worried regardless of which was her source of news. Deaths of loved ones, friends, and acquaintances is a frequent enough part of an older person's life. The Mom didn't want the added grief of losing a grandchild just entering adult life to a terrorist attack.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline Ralph Wiggum

• It's unpossible that I'm a
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2017, 08:59:24 AM »
I thought Obamacare solved everything?  Nothing has passed to change that abomination, which was destined to fail.
Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Offline Old n Grumpy

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2017, 11:25:45 AM »
:sosad: :sosad: :loserbar:
Life is tough and it’s even tougher when you’re stupid

Basking in the glow of my white Privilege, while I water the Begonias with liberal tears!

I will give up my guns when the liberals give up their illegal aliens

We need a Bull Shit tax to make the Democrats go broke!

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2017, 02:15:31 PM »
So...

While they wallow in bouncies where they supposedly lambaste total strangers in public, an old woman who was prescient about being worried about terrorism in Spain is to be bullied into silence.
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."

Offline SVPete

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2017, 03:02:31 PM »
So then there was phone silence, calling neither myself or my brother, as was not uncommon for her when she went into one of these types of rants. We figured it was just another bout of poutiness, and would smooth over by the holidays. This was not at all uncommon for her, phone silence when there was a family blowup. Very common for her, in fact. Turns out she was not calling because she passed away in her sleep, unbeknownst to any of us. We don't even know what day she died, probably around the first week in October. This is why her body was not discovered until later. My ugly Labor Day conversation with her was to be my last.

So, the breaks in contact were the Mom's fault? Neither the DU-member nor her brother were capable of calling their Mom? The Mom was the brat? Not the DU-member and her brother? There were no attempts to contact the Mom for something like 2 months? The DU member needs to savor her last conversation with her Mom, especially the unpleasantness the DU member initiated and caused.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline Old n Grumpy

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2017, 03:29:10 PM »
Wait for part 2 when she finds out she was left out of the will, and her portion was donated to the GOP! :-) :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:
Life is tough and it’s even tougher when you’re stupid

Basking in the glow of my white Privilege, while I water the Begonias with liberal tears!

I will give up my guns when the liberals give up their illegal aliens

We need a Bull Shit tax to make the Democrats go broke!

Offline freedumb2003b

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2017, 03:54:10 PM »
So, the breaks in contact were the Mom's fault? Neither the DU-member nor her brother were capable of calling their Mom? The Mom was the brat? Not the DU-member and her brother? There were no attempts to contact the Mom for something like 2 months? The DU member needs to savor her last conversation with her Mom, especially the unpleasantness the DU member initiated and caused.

Apparently, mom dying was personally directed at the OP.  Like the ultimate tantrum -- "oh yeah!  Well, rather than talk to you I will just DIE!  How do you like them apples?"

This is the way liberals view the world -- like 2 year-olds.  Everything is about them.
Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an ax

Hello to the Baizuo lurkers from DU, DI, JPR and Huffpo

DUmmies can no more understand the "Cave" than a rat can understand a thunderbolt, but they fear it just the same. Fear the "Cave", DUmmies. Fear it well. Big Dog 12-Jan-2015

Proud charter member of the Death Squad Hate Force! https://conservativecave.com/home/index.php?topic=112331.msg1386168#msg1386168

Ted Kennedy is the only person with an actual confirmed kill in the war on women.

Offline Tess Anderson

« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2017, 05:48:03 PM »
I was thinking and hoping the OP was a mole when I first saw this. Nope, just another miserable cretin, wish the mother had the chance to slap him silly before she died.