Author Topic: Franken sort of apologizes... again...  (Read 1210 times)

Offline dutch508

• Remember
Franken sort of apologizes... again...
« on: November 23, 2017, 09:05:35 PM »
Star Member spooky3 (19,538 posts) https://www.democraticunderground.com/10029880498

A statement made today by Al Franken

Will Al go the Clinton route?

Some women have found my greetings or embraces for a hug or photo inappropriate, and I respect their feelings about that.

:o

:thatsright:

Star Member Motley13 (2,833 posts)
3. Wish I could give him a hug

Star Member BigmanPigman (7,550 posts)
7. ****ing A Al...We are with you!

It was a Russian/GOP hit job and false equivalencies meant as distractions from the GOP's and the ****ing Moron's family's and his own illegal activities.

:thatsright:

Ms. Toad (15,761 posts)
26. He's actually NOT denying the groping allegations which, since he specifically denie the bathroom

invitation, speaks volumes to me.

Shortly after the HuffPost report Wednesday, Franken issued a statement saying, “It’s difficult to respond to anonymous accusers, and I don’t remember those campaign events.” He added, “I can categorically say that I did not proposition anyone to join me in any bathroom.”

Had he had a clean conscience as to the butt grabbing, he would have categorically denied that as well.

Rather than being a denial, I read his statement as an acknowledgement that at least on some occasions he has put his hands on the buttocks of the person he was being photographed with.

I accept that, at the time, he thought it would be welcome - and based on interactions with someone who grabbed my butt during an embrace - he likely did not perceive it as sexually aggressive.. I also accept that he now understands it was not, and that he is trying to learn from what his accusers are telling him.

Unlike other people who have been accused, his transgressions are on the mild end of the inappropriate physical contact spectrum, he has acknowledged his behavior crossed a line, and he has apologized and is willing to learn from his past mistakes.

As long as he continues with that attitude (and nothing more serious emerges), his presence in Congress is a net positive and I don't want him to resign.

I just wish his advocates on DU would follow his lead and stop trying to discredit his accusers, stop making his acknowledged bad behavior out to be a plot (what that says is that if only he hadn't gotten caught things would be hunky dory).

Star Member dhol82 (2,485 posts)
38. Sorry - get a ****ing grip!

He is trying his best to deal with crazy ass (no pun intended) women who seem to get freaked out by any touching whatsoever.
Shall we not question why, knowing they have these problems, they choose to have hugging pictures with him? If they are so freaked out by touching why are they standing so close to him?

Bimbo eruptions...

PatrickforO (5,814 posts)
18. I stand with Franken.

He seems genuinely contrite, and we know from his past actions in office that he genuinely cares about his constituents and about the American people. He's a good guy who made mistakes and is sorry.

My inclination is to forgive him, provided he never does it again.

except... in the book he wrote he tells up his fake apology was just that... in order to get votes.

Polly Hennessey (744 posts)
30. If I ever have the honor

of meeting Senator Franken I will definitely ask for a hug.

Leith (2,791 posts)
34. I Stand with Senator Franken

He has made too many rethugs too uncomfortable for too long: Bill O'Reilly and Jeff Sessions are two that come to mind.

So they had to ruin him. The problem was that our good senator has very little sleaze in his background so when they found the USO show with LeeAnn Tweeden, found that she was a reichwing talk show host, a birther, and voted for chumpy, they thought they hit pay dirt. Too bad she backed off just a little too soon, had posed for Playboy, and was on video goosing a guitar player and smooching a soldier from the audience in the same show.

I think if we check the bank accounts of the other three (only one of which was named), we might find some recent deposits that they don't want to explain.

it's a vast right wing conspiracy...

Susan Calvin (232 posts)
45. Perfect.

Al is a very, very smart and decent cookie.

I'm still backing him for Prez.

on the one hand:  :thatsright:
on the other:  :-)

Can you imagine Franken going up against Trump in a debate?
The torch of moral clarity since 12/18/07

2016 DOTY: 06 Omaha Steve - Is dying for ****'s face! How could you not vote for him, you heartless bastards!?!

Offline USA4ME

• Evil Capitalist
Re: Franken sort of apologizes... again...
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2017, 09:30:41 PM »
Talk about tying yourself into knots.

Quote from:
I accept that, at the time, he thought it would be welcome - and based on interactions with someone who grabbed my butt during an embrace - he likely did not perceive it as sexually aggressive.

Really!?! Someone grabbing someone's butt is not being sexually aggressive?? Since when??

If Franken was someone who was considered a DINO to them, they'd be calling for his head and for the Minnesota Governor to appoint a "real liberal" in his place, and everyone knows that's true. They just can't break away from their Clinton era "circle the wagons and destroy the women" mentality. They created the "sexual assault/rape culture" trap but won't convict their own when it's obvious they've fallen into it.

Guarantee you Weinstein shows he can raise money for the Dem party and he's as good as back into the in-crowd. The primitives will act as though nothing ever happened.

Because third world peasant labor is a good thing.

Online Delmar

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2017, 09:30:59 PM »
In 2008, Al Franken, the Democratic candidate for the U.S. Senate in Minnesota, trailed his Republican opponent by 215 votes out of 2.9 million cast. After working a protracted recount and a legal battle over disputed absentee ballots and ballots said to be counted twice, he was abruptly declared the “winner” by 312 votes. A box of Democratic ballots helpfully turned up in the trunk of a car.
https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2013/dec/15/editorial-ballot-box-wizardry/

Cheaters never prosper.
"I sat down, and I said, 'America's back' and Mitterrand from Germany — I mean from France — looked at me and said … "Well, how long are you back for?"
Crooked Joe Biden

Offline SVPete

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2017, 07:59:43 AM »
Some women have found my greetings or embraces for a hug or photo inappropriate

Grabbing the ass of a woman to who one is not married without their permission is a sexual assault, not a "greeting", "embrace", or a "hug"! Definitely a Homo Weaselus!
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.