Author Topic: Thanksgiving Rant from a White Woman  (Read 2938 times)

Offline CC27

Thanksgiving Rant from a White Woman
« on: November 22, 2017, 10:16:03 AM »
TBA (663 posts)

The night of the inauguration my theater group threw an entertaining and raucous "Bawl". We invited speakers from the community, preformed skits and generally tried to console each other. One speaker was a Native American woman and her words have stuck with me all of these months.

In part she said....

"I realized the depth of fear most Americans (are feeling) is new to you but it is not new to us. For us this is just one more in a long line of Presidents who we know will act contrary to our values, destroy our sacred earth for greed, deny our basic freedom and threaten the lives and well being of our families... You my friends and neighbors, are the new Indians"

More recently, my 6 year old grandson has been learning the happy and almost entirely false story of the Pilgrims and the Wampanoag. The real story of the early Thanksgiving feasts (there were many) involve mass murder, genocide and torture of the Native peoples. As a result Thanksgiving itself is a day of mourning for Native citizens.

On some level I think we deserve what is happening. As a nation our history is rife with blood, torture, enslavement, exploitation, you name it we've done it. But (and this is key) we still fail to face it, own it, and on some level atone for it.

I had a neighbor who was raised in Germany. I asked her if the holocaust was taught to school children. She said it was taught over and over again. Basically drilled into their heads the horror of what happened. There are not Nazi statues in Germany and the Nazi flag is banned. I got the impression that she, as a German, faced and owned what happened and Germany had grown and moved on as a result (as a whole... extremest factions do exist).

America, not so much. And I believe we as white people are experiencing to a much lesser degree the indifference to our well being, to our moral values that we as a nation have perpetuated on the Natives, the Immigrants, the African Americans... through out our history and continuing to the present day.

We, those of us who are white, have never acknowledged our collective sins and now our sins are being inflicted on us. As white Americans, it's our turn. The rot has progressed to include us. This was inevitable. As the speaker said: "You my friends and neighbors, are the new Indians"

Happy ****ing Thanksgiving

https://www.democraticunderground.com/10029875099

Cool story bro.

Offline Carl

• Global Moderator
Re: Thanksgiving Rant from a White Woman
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2017, 10:22:55 AM »
If the statues of Confederate figures should be eradicated for treason then why should we honor Indians that fought against the USA?  :fuelfire:

Offline SVPete

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2017, 10:32:51 AM »
Probably wouldn't help, but

If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline BadCat

• I H8 Liberals
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2017, 11:06:10 AM »
Oh please, keep your white guilt to yourself.  Me, I have nothing to feel guilty about as a white person.
Help keep America beautiful...deface a liberal.

The Democrat and Republican parties are simply the left and right wings of the same bird of prey.

The road to freedom is paved with dead liberals.

21fadb4221652b86382c8f73526880b7

Offline USA4ME

• Evil Capitalist
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2017, 11:11:43 AM »
Quote from:
TBA

The real story of the early Thanksgiving feasts (there were many) involve mass murder, genocide and torture of the Native peoples.

And that was what the Pilgrims did to those they ate for appetizers. The entrees had it much worse.

Because third world peasant labor is a good thing.

Offline DLR Pyro

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2017, 11:45:59 AM »
Wow.  This country really sucks.  I strongly urge TBA to leave immediately for a better place to live.
Biden is an illegitimate President.  Change my mind.

Police lives matter.

Basking in the glow of my white privilege

ProudDad Donating Member (1000+ posts) Wed Mar-09-11 08:50 PM
64.I'd almost be willing to get a job in order to participate in
A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE
  https://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=102x4763020

Offline Old n Grumpy

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2017, 11:51:31 AM »
What is it with those liberal ass holes, they can't give it a rest for a single day. :thatsright: :mental: :bird:
Life is tough and it’s even tougher when you’re stupid

Basking in the glow of my white Privilege, while I water the Begonias with liberal tears!

I will give up my guns when the liberals give up their illegal aliens

We need a Bull Shit tax to make the Democrats go broke!

Offline landofconfusion80

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2017, 12:05:17 PM »
Theatre troop?

First thing that came to mind...
« Last Edit: November 22, 2017, 12:08:23 PM by landofconfusion80 »
One Who Grows (244 posts)
20. absolute bullshit. the cave is unspeakably vile.

I don't know how any of you can live with yourselves.

:)

Offline thundley4

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2017, 12:08:01 PM »
History is filled with conquerors and the conquered. The only thing that makes the US any different is that there were two distinct races involved.

The world would be a different place if the Europeans had treated the natives in Africa and South America the same as the early settlers treated the indians here.   :whistling:

Offline SVPete

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2017, 01:14:30 PM »
The real story of the early Thanksgiving feasts (there were many) involve mass murder, genocide and torture of the Native peoples.

Wow! I didn't realize the Aztecs and Mayans were the ones who started Thanksgiving.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Offline Maverick1987

• M o l o n L a b e
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2017, 02:23:27 PM »
...Thanksgiving feasts involve mass murder, genocide and torture...

I'm ready if y'all are  :-)

:sarcasm:
Deplorable since 2016

Offline Maverick1987

• M o l o n L a b e
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2017, 02:32:39 PM »
I realized the depth of fear most Americans (are feeling) is new to you but it is not new to us. For us this is just one more in a long line of Presidents who we know will act contrary to our values, destroy our sacred earth for greed, deny our basic freedom and threaten the lives and well being of our families..

Nonsense.  Does TBA ever recognize complete hyperbole?  At almost one year in office, exactly NONE of that has actually happened.  :thatsright: 
Deplorable since 2016

Offline FlippyDoo

• Oh NO!!!!! It's a rebel windmill!!!!
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2017, 02:36:02 PM »
TBA (663 posts)

The night of the inauguration my theater group threw an entertaining and raucous "Bawl". We invited speakers from the community, preformed skits and generally tried to console each other. One speaker was a Native American woman and her words have stuck with me all of these months.

In part she said....

"I realized the depth of fear most Americans (are feeling) is new to you but it is not new to us. For us this is just one more in a long line of Presidents who we know will act contrary to our values, destroy our sacred earth for greed, deny our basic freedom and threaten the lives and well being of our families... You my friends and neighbors, are the new Indians"

More recently, my 6 year old grandson has been learning the happy and almost entirely false story of the Pilgrims and the Wampanoag. The real story of the early Thanksgiving feasts (there were many) involve mass murder, genocide and torture of the Native peoples. As a result Thanksgiving itself is a day of mourning for Native citizens.

On some level I think we deserve what is happening. As a nation our history is rife with blood, torture, enslavement, exploitation, you name it we've done it. But (and this is key) we still fail to face it, own it, and on some level atone for it.

I had a neighbor who was raised in Germany. I asked her if the holocaust was taught to school children. She said it was taught over and over again. Basically drilled into their heads the horror of what happened. There are not Nazi statues in Germany and the Nazi flag is banned. I got the impression that she, as a German, faced and owned what happened and Germany had grown and moved on as a result (as a whole... extremest factions do exist).

America, not so much. And I believe we as white people are experiencing to a much lesser degree the indifference to our well being, to our moral values that we as a nation have perpetuated on the Natives, the Immigrants, the African Americans... through out our history and continuing to the present day.

We, those of us who are white, have never acknowledged our collective sins and now our sins are being inflicted on us. As white Americans, it's our turn. The rot has progressed to include us. This was inevitable. As the speaker said: "You my friends and neighbors, are the new Indians"

Happy ****ing Thanksgiving

I must say that I'm very saddened by the embolded text because the insensitive DUmmie did not correct the pretend woman for using "Indians" instead of "Native Americans".
Fictional spirit-guiding by appointment.
conservativecave.com & conservativeunderground.com

For new members and lurkers: I am a fictional spirit-guide with no smell whatsoever. I am part irish setter and part pigeon. If you don't smell any strange smells it means I'm probably standing next to you. As I am a fictional character anything I post should possibly be considered fictional.

Offline freedumb2003b

« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2017, 03:13:58 PM »
Oh please, keep your white guilt to yourself.  Me, I have nothing to feel guilty about as a white person.

Electricity and lights, indoor plumbing, FREEDOM, THE INTERNET -- thems is things to feel guilty for.  The history of the entire non-white world is pure tribalism or flat-out slavery.
Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an ax

Hello to the Baizuo lurkers from DU, DI, JPR and Huffpo

DUmmies can no more understand the "Cave" than a rat can understand a thunderbolt, but they fear it just the same. Fear the "Cave", DUmmies. Fear it well. Big Dog 12-Jan-2015

Proud charter member of the Death Squad Hate Force! https://conservativecave.com/home/index.php?topic=112331.msg1386168#msg1386168

Ted Kennedy is the only person with an actual confirmed kill in the war on women.

Offline Movie buff- The Sequel

« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2017, 03:54:25 PM »
Blah, blah, blah, Indians, Indians, Indians, white guilt, white guilt, white guilt. As I posted in my pre- Thanksgiving PSA, we see idiotic threads like this every year.
Here are some fun facts, which I can speak with some level of authority on, considering I have a B.A. in History, informally specialized in American colonial history, and am a candidate for certification to become a middle school Social Sciences teacher:
1. History is not as black and white as this DUmmy and other leftists make it out to be, things are almost always a lot more complicated than a simple "This side was completely right, that side was completely wrong." There were atrocities on both sides. For just one personal example, my own ancestors include a family of settlers who were brutally slaughtered by an Indian war party for no reason at all. The only survivor was their young son, who hid in a hollow log during the massacre and then went to live with neighbors. I refuse to cast blame or feel hatred for the descendants of the people who did that to my ancestors, if any remain today.
2. I am of course sorry for the awful things that were done to the Native Americans, but I refuse to wallow in self- imposed guilt over something I personally had nothing to do with that happened centuries ago, in which the only similarities between the perpetrators and myself are skin color and the basic religion of Christianity (At least, they identified as Christians, yet the things they did cast serious doubt on the genuineness of their walk with God).
3. As I've noted in the past, the Pilgrims at Plymouth who brought about the first Thanksgiving got along very well with the native tribes for a very long time. They coexisted peacefully for decades, and on at least one occasion, the Pilgrims convicted and hanged a white criminal based solely on the testimony of an Indian. Relations between the Plymouth colonists and the Indians did not really start to sour until King Philip's War, which occurred over fifty years after the first Thanksgiving. That conflict, too, in keeping with what I said in point 1, was the result of oversights and abuses from both sides of the equation, not just one. The Plymouth leaders, a new generation who had largely forgotten just how screwed their ancestors would have been if not for the Indians' help and thus developed a real gratitude problem, abused their power and had begun pushing too far and overstepping their authority in terms of their use of Indian land and treatment of its people. On the other side, the Indian leader Metacomet (Nicknamed "King Philip," hence the name of the war) had apparently forgotten the good example of his own father who, when he was chief, got along quite peacefully with the colonists. Metacomet's own actions proved he was itching for any excuse, no matter how petty, to cast those decades of past peaceful relations aside and openly declare war on the colonists. When that much stubborness and belligerence from both sides gets together, the end results are never pretty.

Again, while both the good and bad parts of our nation's history should be remembered (And schools are getting better at ensuring that, as my education shows), we should not obsess over the bad parts or use them as an excuse to either wallow in self- imposed guilt over things that we had nothing to do with, or use them to try and justify hatred or bigotry against others.
Instead, we should celebrate Thanksgiving the way it was meant to be celebrated; As a way of remembering and acknowledging the basic blessings in our lives that we have to be thankful for. So, to that I say, happy Thanksgiving!
« Last Edit: November 23, 2017, 05:58:21 AM by Movie buff- The Sequel »

Offline I_B_Perky

« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2017, 07:54:17 PM »
Only thing I am going to feel guilty about this Thanksgiving is eating too much turkey and mashed taters.  I hope female dummies like you are so upset that you stick your head in the oven with the turkey, catch your hair on fire and burn to death. 

Happy ****ing Thanksgiving, bitch.   :bird:
Living in the Dummies minds rent free since 2009!

Montani Semper Liberi

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2017, 06:55:39 AM »
Indians killed, tortured, enslaved, and otherwise did horrible things to each other for 10,000 years there before the Pilgrims showed up, but their excesses were kept in check by the fact that none of the tribes had any real edge other than population over the others, and since they all relied on the same climate and food sources, populations remained pretty proportional.  Things were actually pretty okay with the Wampanoag and the Pilgrims (Considering these folks couldn't get along with rational White people either), for a decent period, it was really the aftermath of totally unforeseen disease epidemics reducing Indian populations, the fact the Whites regarded such fun and games as existential threats calling for devastating response instead of annual fun and games, and the inevitable dynamic of a Late Stone Age culture and a Late Pre-Industrial culture running into each other.  That has never ended well for the more primitive material culture anywhere on Earth, ever.
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline sneakypete

« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2017, 08:36:13 AM »
Electricity and lights, indoor plumbing, FREEDOM, THE INTERNET -- thems is things to feel guilty for.  The history of the entire non-white world is pure tribalism or flat-out slavery.

Let's not forget other oddities,such as math,reading,writing,engineering,science,etc,etc,etc.

If the white man didn't exist,people would still be living in mud huts and eating each other.
In the entire history of the world,the only nations that had to build walls to keep their own citizens from leaving were those with leftist governments.

Offline Old n Grumpy

« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2017, 12:47:25 PM »
Now that I have enjoyed my Thanksgiving dinner, I am going to head out and find some Indians to exploit. If I cant find any native American ones I will head on over to the 7 11  :-)
Life is tough and it’s even tougher when you’re stupid

Basking in the glow of my white Privilege, while I water the Begonias with liberal tears!

I will give up my guns when the liberals give up their illegal aliens

We need a Bull Shit tax to make the Democrats go broke!

Offline SVPete

« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2017, 02:49:59 PM »
Now that I have enjoyed my Thanksgiving dinner, I am going to head out and find some Indians to exploit. If I cant find any native American ones I will head on over to the 7 11  :-)

Go to Joe Biden's home state. They have Delaware Indians.

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2017, 04:20:17 PM »
Go to Joe Biden's home state. They have Delaware Indians.

To paraphrase Yakov Smirnov, "In Delaware, Indians exploit you!"
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline I_B_Perky

« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2017, 05:28:14 PM »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

H5!!!! 

Exploit a couple for me while you are at it, there Grumpy.    :cheersmate:
Living in the Dummies minds rent free since 2009!

Montani Semper Liberi