Author Topic: The Inuit Paradox  (Read 2629 times)

Offline Chris

• Administrator
The Inuit Paradox
« on: August 17, 2008, 02:42:48 PM »
The Inuit Paradox
How can people who gorge on fat and rarely see a vegetable be healthier than we are?

Patricia Cochran, an Inupiat from Northwestern Alaska, is talking about the native foods of her childhood: “We pretty much had a subsistence way of life. Our food supply was right outside our front door. We did our hunting and foraging on the Seward Peninsula and along the Bering Sea.

“Our meat was seal and walrus, marine mammals that live in cold water and have lots of fat. We used seal oil for our cooking and as a dipping sauce for food. We had moose, caribou, and reindeer. We hunted ducks, geese, and little land birds like quail, called ptarmigan. We caught crab and lots of fish—salmon, whitefish, tomcod, pike, and char. Our fish were cooked, dried, smoked, or frozen. We ate frozen raw whitefish, sliced thin. The elders liked stinkfish, fish buried in seal bags or cans in the tundra and left to ferment. And fermented seal flipper, they liked that too.”

Cochran’s family also received shipments of whale meat from kin living farther north, near Barrow. Beluga was one she liked; raw muktuk, which is whale skin with its underlying blubber, she definitely did not. “To me it has a chew-on-a-tire consistency,” she says, “but to many people it’s a mainstay.” In the short subarctic summers, the family searched for roots and greens and, best of all from a child’s point of view, wild blueberries, crowberries, or salmonberries, which her aunts would mix with whipped fat to make a special treat called akutuq—in colloquial English, Eskimo ice cream.

Now Cochran directs the Alaska Native Science Commission, which promotes research on native cultures and the health and environmental issues that affect them. She sits at her keyboard in Anchorage, a bustling city offering fare from Taco Bell to French cuisine. But at home Cochran keeps a freezer filled with fish, seal, walrus, reindeer, and whale meat, sent by her family up north, and she and her husband fish and go berry picking—“sometimes a challenge in Anchorage,” she adds, laughing. “I eat fifty-fifty,” she explains, half traditional, half regular American.

(more...)

Mmmm, raw fish dipped in melted seal blubber.  Tasty.
This post is disruptive, hurtful, rude, insensitive, over-the-top, or otherwise inappropriate.

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
Re: The Inuit Paradox
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2008, 03:00:01 PM »
I tried to watch Anthony Bourdain's show No Reservations when he visited an Inuit family. They basically spread a tarp out on the kitchen floor and gutted a seal(?) and all got into it up their bloody elbows. I think I would be skinny too if I lived there.

Blech.
I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2008, 03:10:28 PM »
I always find stories about centuries-old sailing trips fascinating, especialy the stories about scurvy and the horrible food they ate.  Here's another excerpt from the article:

Impressed, the explorer Vilhjalmur Stefansson adopted an Eskimo-style diet for five years during the two Arctic expeditions he led between 1908 and 1918. “The thing to do is to find your antiscorbutics where you are,” he wrote. “Pick them up as you go.” In 1928, to convince skeptics, he and a young colleague spent a year on an Americanized version of the diet under medical supervision at Bellevue Hospital in New York City. The pair ate steaks, chops, organ meats like brain and liver, poultry, fish, and fat with gusto. “If you have some fresh meat in your diet every day and don’t overcook it,” Stefansson declared triumphantly, “there will be enough C from that source alone to prevent scurvy.”
This post is disruptive, hurtful, rude, insensitive, over-the-top, or otherwise inappropriate.

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2008, 03:52:48 PM »
*Shudders* :-)

I never would have survived that kind of life.
I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline Peter3_1

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2008, 09:35:28 PM »
Wher you're REALLY hungry, it's all good.

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2008, 09:48:32 PM »
A show was just on PBS about some geneticist mapping global human migration based on DNA.  He went to far-eastern Russia, in the Arctic Circle a few miles from the Bering Sea.  At night, the temperature got down to -60.  He stayed with a small group of herders that ate an all-meat diet of reindeer.  I think there were only nine of them in this group and they had a thousand reindeer.

Offline Peter3_1

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2008, 10:03:05 PM »
It takes 10,000 calories just to stay warm, so KEEP THE DEER CLOSE IN! I might need a snack! :evillaugh:

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2008, 10:16:18 PM »
It takes 10,000 calories just to stay warm, so KEEP THE DEER CLOSE IN! I might need a snack! :evillaugh:

The guide sez "You have to eat with your fingers.  If you don't, they'll freeze."

Offline Ptarmigan

• Bunny Slayer
  • God Hates Bunnies
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2008, 09:33:30 PM »
The Inuit Paradox
How can people who gorge on fat and rarely see a vegetable be healthier than we are?

Patricia Cochran, an Inupiat from Northwestern Alaska, is talking about the native foods of her childhood: “We pretty much had a subsistence way of life. Our food supply was right outside our front door. We did our hunting and foraging on the Seward Peninsula and along the Bering Sea.

“Our meat was seal and walrus, marine mammals that live in cold water and have lots of fat. We used seal oil for our cooking and as a dipping sauce for food. We had moose, caribou, and reindeer. We hunted ducks, geese, and little land birds like quail, called ptarmigan. We caught crab and lots of fish—salmon, whitefish, tomcod, pike, and char. Our fish were cooked, dried, smoked, or frozen. We ate frozen raw whitefish, sliced thin. The elders liked stinkfish, fish buried in seal bags or cans in the tundra and left to ferment. And fermented seal flipper, they liked that too.”

Cochran’s family also received shipments of whale meat from kin living farther north, near Barrow. Beluga was one she liked; raw muktuk, which is whale skin with its underlying blubber, she definitely did not. “To me it has a chew-on-a-tire consistency,” she says, “but to many people it’s a mainstay.” In the short subarctic summers, the family searched for roots and greens and, best of all from a child’s point of view, wild blueberries, crowberries, or salmonberries, which her aunts would mix with whipped fat to make a special treat called akutuq—in colloquial English, Eskimo ice cream.

Now Cochran directs the Alaska Native Science Commission, which promotes research on native cultures and the health and environmental issues that affect them. She sits at her keyboard in Anchorage, a bustling city offering fare from Taco Bell to French cuisine. But at home Cochran keeps a freezer filled with fish, seal, walrus, reindeer, and whale meat, sent by her family up north, and she and her husband fish and go berry picking—“sometimes a challenge in Anchorage,” she adds, laughing. “I eat fifty-fifty,” she explains, half traditional, half regular American.

(more...)

Mmmm, raw fish dipped in melted seal blubber.  Tasty.

Did I just see the word ptarmigan?  :o
Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
-Napoleon Bonaparte

Allow enemies their space to hate; they will destroy themselves in the process.
-Lisa Du