Author Topic: primitives betray their ages discussing their high school class reunions  (Read 2195 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
https://www.democraticunderground.com/1018988749

Oh my.

I had no idea some of these primitives were so ancient, because their comments are, well, kind of juvenile.

diva77 (1,722 posts)     Wed Sep 20, 2017, 04:47 AM

Anyone have any good (or bad) high school reunion stories? I'm about to go to mine...

Hoyt (30,942 posts)      Wed Sep 20, 2017, 06:01 AM

2. We just had our 50th. I decided not to go because so many of my class are now rabid Trump

supporters, based upon the crud on Facebook (been "de-friended" by a bunch of them). Most of them were that way 50 years ago. Plus, when I looked at the list of people going, I didn't see one that I really wanted to see. Stayed home with my lady-friend, played my mandola and had fun. Truthfully, they were probably relieved.

femmocrat (26,633 posts)      Wed Sep 20, 2017, 09:46 AM

7. I stopped going when I could no longer read anyone's name tags.

I think that was the 30th.

Our class had its 50th recently. I didn't go. It would have involved staying in a hotel and putting the dogs in a kennel. Plus the cost of the evening and clothes, hair appointment, etc. I just couldn't justify the expenses to see people who I barely knew 50 years ago.

On a positive note though, our 15th reunion was a lot of fun. Not that many people went and it was very laid-back. I guess it depends on how many decades have passed.

Sanity Claws (16,232 posts)      Wed Sep 20, 2017, 11:17 AM

9. Depends on the year

I went to our tenth. At first, it seemed that everyone was so nice but by the end of the evening, the same personality traits they had in high school came out. Of course, that has both good points and bad points.

I went to our 40th also. It was a shorter event and I enjoyed it. Everyone seemed to be way beyond high school and none of that old shit came through. I think everyone realized that we had more common with each other than with many others we have day to day contact with.

The Velveteen Ocelot (54,354 posts)      Wed Sep 20, 2017, 11:25 AM

10. I went to my 20th, which was awhile ago.

I wasn't sure about going, since I was an unpopular nerd in high school and hadn't kept in touch with even the few equally-dorky friends I had. On the day I graduated all I could think about was how glad I was to be getting the hell out of there. But I thought the reunion might be at least interesting, so I went, and I'm glad I did. It was The Revenge of the Nerds. The popular asshole jocks and football heroes were dumpy and balding, and the Mean Girls hadn't aged well, either. One of them looked like a gone-to-seed madam, and the girl who'd been a super-popular cheerleader and teenaged beauty contest winner (and who had made a point of being a snot to her lesser classmates) had gained a lot of weight, and she was wearing an unflattering white jumpsuit outfit that made her look like Old Fat Elvis in drag. (Meow.) The former nerds, on the other hand, had become professionally successful and even looked pretty good. The school big shots had peaked early and gone into a decline; the picked-on geeks were still on their way up. It was gratifying. I never went to another one, though.

I forget.

The Velveeta primitive's a PoP (primitive of prominence), but I forget why.

Anybody else remember?

hamsterjill (9,449 posts)      Wed Sep 20, 2017, 11:59 AM

11. I went to my 30th and it messed with my mind.

Your situation is undoubtedly different. I grew up in a small town. There were about 35 people in my graduating class.

We had a mini 30th year reunion of about 12 of those people who were available and inclined. I didn't want to go, but decided that I might regret it if I did not. It was amazing to me how far removed I'd become from all of those people that I spent so much time with. I had turned into a totally different person whereas some of them were the same as when they were five.

It messed with my mind for a while (i.e, what's wrong with me???!!!) but I eventually got my head around it and decided that I wouldn't want to have stayed the same as I was when I was five.

Each situation is different. Go to yours and enjoy yourself. Just don't put too much thought into it either before or after.

DFW (25,461 posts)           Wed Sep 20, 2017, 01:15 PM

12. Never been to one yet. Several reasons.

First, I can't see traveling 4000 miles just for a high school reunion.

Second, the one I graduated from, I was only at the one (senior) year. I was an outsider, and made to feel like one in no uncertain terms.

Third, the few friendships I DID make there were outsiders like me, never part of any of the sub-elites (sports/wealth/connections) at the school, and wouldn't have attended a reunion, either.

I left the reunions to the George Bush types (both went there).

Marc graduated from one of those really pricey private schools like what the Kennedys attended.

DFW (25,461 posts)      Thu Sep 21, 2017, 02:11 PM

43. I got my permanent revenge on graduation day.

My parents were up for it (it was north of Boston), and so was my brother, who was one year behind me at "the" rival school across the MA/NH state line. Suddenly the class of 1970 was rounded up like a small herd of cattle for our official class picture. My brother was with me, and tried to get out of the group so as not to mess up our class picture, but they were so intent on getting us into a group for this picture, he couldn't climb over enough of my classmates to get out of the way. I told him, what the hell, might as well stick next to me and be on our class photo. The school didn't give a crap about students like me, anyway. I was no Senator's son or General's nephew or related to the Bush family. So they barely knew who I was. That was their attitude to any non-star or relative of one, so they took our class photo with my brother in it.

They eventually found out (probably still have no clue which one in the photo was the ringer). You have to understand the mentality of this kind of school at the time. To them, this was the equivalent of Barack Obama sneaking into the official photo of the Montgomery chapter of the Ku Klux Klan. The school was very upset about it for a while, but didn't have enough people there who knew the "cattle" of the student body enough to pick out who in the photo didn't belong.

Twenty-eight years later, I met up with the new headmaster of the school. It was a woman, since they had incorporated the girls' school down the road into the boys' school I went to. It was at a celebration in Spain for my old teacher there. He was 72, and was retiring. She swore up and down that the school had done a 180°, and that my daughter (who was 13 at the time, and with us, and already obviously very bright) was welcome to apply, hint hint. Well, she eventually DID end up graduating from a boarding school in the United States, but it was from the boarding school that was geographically the farthest away from my school as any school could be and still be on U.S. soil (or, volcanic rock, as in her case). I'm talking a little over five THOUSAND miles. Maybe my school HAS changed for the better. Fine. Good for the kids who went/go there. The authoritarian, elitist aura of the place while I was there put me off the place for life. Let them go solicit some Bush grandchildren, or something.

rurallib (45,204 posts)     Wed Sep 20, 2017, 09:29 PM

17. Not a fan of class reunions - we supposedly had one last weekend

someone had assembled an email group a couple years ago in anticipation.

I had asked to be removed several times, but never was.

So right after Charlottesville a huge fight broke out in the email group around race and Trump etc.

Many claimed they would never go to the reunion and so forth -

So once more I requested to be removed from the group - I was not the only one now - and it looks like they have done so.

So for me it couldn't have been better.

This was the 50th - i went to the 5th and realized i had so little in common with them so never had a desire to return.

PoindexterOglethorpe (3,078 posts)      Thu Sep 21, 2017, 12:35 AM

33. I have found that the class reunions get better and better over time.

I actually attend reunions for two classes, 1965 and 1966. I was originally set to graduate in '66, but doubled up on a couple of classes and was a senior in my third year and graduated in '65.

Went to the 10th reunion for that class (and at the 10th everyone is still stuck in their high school roles), skipped the 20th, and then they decided to forget about me for another 15 years. Meanwhile, the class of 1966 suddenly remembered me and I went to that 35th reunion.

Since then I've been to the 40th, 45th, and 50th reunions of both classes. I get to do an amazing compare and contrast between the two classes. It was a decent sized high school, and each class graduated 425-440 students.

Oh, and just in case you think smoking is harmless, go to some of those later reunions. The smokers all look ten or more years older than the non-smokers, and are dying off a lot faster.

Right now neither class is certain they'll hold any more reunions, but I wish they would. I'll keep on going so long as they happen. I live a several hour drive away, so I don't get involved in the planning. But it is my opinion that class reunions are giant fun, especially in later years. At the 50th there's a strong sense of being grateful for still being here.

I'm sure the original class size makes a huge difference. Only 35 graduates, maybe no one ever gets to shed the old high school roles. Over 600 or 800, the class is so large that you can't possibly have known very many of your fellow grads. 400 or so felt like a happy medium.

About 8 years ago I was chatting with a man at a craft fair selling jewelry, and it turned out that we'd not only gone to the same high school, but had graduated the same year, and neither one of us had ever heard of the other. I told him he'd better make it to the 50th and he did.

Oh, and at one reunion I got the absolutely best and most enthusiastic greeting I've ever gotten. A man turned around and exclaimed, "Poindexter Oglethorpe! You got me through biology!" and gave me a big hug. (My real name* is something else, but I'll keep my anonymity here.)

*Good luck with that, although unless the primitive says something really stupid, he probably doesn't have much to worry about.

murielm99 (19,135 posts)      Sat Sep 23, 2017, 05:01 PM

44. We are going to the second part of my husband's 55th tonight.

We went to the pizza party last night. There is a dinner tonight.

My 50th was last year. I enjoyed it. I saw a lot of people I have not seen in years. Nearly everyone who could showed up.

My husband and I went to the same high school, so we know a lot of the same people. It was fun. I think tonight will be fun, too.

We helped with the planning of his 50th. There were a lot of right wing idiots involved in the planning. Some of them sent me evil chain emails for awhile. I refuted them. Whenever I could not get rid of them, I blocked them.

We sat with the nice people last night. We avoided the RWNJ crowd, and had a good time. We avoided politics. I do know that most of the people we sat with are Democrats, retired union types and retired teachers. We just told funny stories and laughed a lot.

irisblue (10,067 posts)      Sat Sep 23, 2017, 05:58 PM

45. I graduated in June mid 70s, left for college in September that year

and never have been back. No need, I survived those assholes.

^^^the primitive who's riding first-class in the parlor car of the social security disability gravy train because she has agoraphobia.....a cold, clammy fear of going outside the house.

Excepting when she has to go downtown to renew her social services benefits.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Ralph Wiggum

• It's unpossible that I'm a
Re: primitives betray their ages discussing their high school class reunions
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2017, 08:31:58 AM »
Had never been to one of my own until the 25th.  Went to a couple with the former spouse.

It was great fun.  Sure, there are still a few a-holes and b*tchy types.  But 95% were a treat to hang around & catch up with.  Along with the dozen or so that I'd already become good friends with.
Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Offline SVPete

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2017, 10:12:36 AM »
Good grief!

1.) I'd be young in that crowd.

2.) What a bunch of arrogant snots! "I've become wiser, but they haven't grown mentally since kindergarten."

3.) DFW was dumped by his parents into boarding schools distant from where they lived and he did the same, only even farther away from him and his wife. "Hey kid! I can't stand having you around, so go to Hawaii!!"
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline Skul

• Sometimes I drink water just to surprise my liver
  • Chief of the cathouse
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2017, 12:52:16 PM »
Eighth grade has a graduation?
Then-Chief Justice John Marshall observed, “Between a balanced republic and a democracy, the difference is like that between order and chaos.”

John Adams warned in a letter, “Remember democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet, that did not commit suicide.”

Offline Old n Grumpy

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2017, 01:52:11 PM »
hamsterjill (9,449 posts)      Wed Sep 20, 2017, 11:59 AM

11. I went to my 30th and it messed with my mind.

Your situation is undoubtedly different. I grew up in a small town. There were about 35 people in my graduating class.

We had a mini 30th year reunion of about 12 of those people who were available and inclined. I didn't want to go, but decided that I might regret it if I did not. It was amazing to me how far removed I'd become from all of those people that I spent so much time with. I had turned into a totally different person whereas some of them were the same as when they were five.

The folks acted the same as when they were 5, what was this a reunion of your kindergarten class? Or were they all progressives?
Life is tough and it’s even tougher when you’re stupid

Basking in the glow of my white Privilege, while I water the Begonias with liberal tears!

I will give up my guns when the liberals give up their illegal aliens

We need a Bull Shit tax to make the Democrats go broke!

Offline I_B_Perky

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2017, 03:50:18 PM »

I think they did around the early 1900's.. which it seems is when these dummies graduated.  :cheersmate:
Living in the Dummies minds rent free since 2009!

Montani Semper Liberi

Offline SVPete

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2017, 04:31:49 PM »

Dunno about these days, but I learned to loathe "Pomp and Circumstance" playing it for a couple of 8th grade graduations for classes ahead of mine.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline Carl

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2017, 04:22:29 AM »
In other words these mongrels have been miserable assholes their entire life.

Offline zeitgeist

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2017, 06:57:49 AM »

Yup.  Back in the day it was the end of formal education for many.  Kids apprentice directly to trades or went to Industrial High Schools.  Young ladies might go directly to the mills or finishing school.  I remember losing several classmates at the end of eighth grade.  Some to vocational, some to private prep schools, this was in 1963 in a very progressive community.  There were four divisions in what some called Junior High School back then A, B, C, and D.  C and D students were most likely to go on to vocational studies or work in trades.  A and B students went on to Senior High School or (mostly A division) to fancy prep schools. Sometimes B students would end up going to an extra year to get into a prep school.   
< watch this space for coming distractions >

Offline FiddyBeowulf

• "Its on, its off, its on, its off." "That is called blinking, boys."
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2017, 07:42:37 AM »
DFW (25,461 posts)      Thu Sep 21, 2017, 02:11 PM
No one but no one can humble-brag like DFW can. It does make for a refreshing change from the "woe is me" pity posts from the other DUmmies though.
Fire...BAD!!! - John Fetterman

The policies that are indorsed by this party, that they backer of which are much of the 1 percent, causes a social structure much like the one back before the Revolution.

-Words of wisdom from Lady Freedom Returns

"Arguing with liberals...it's like playing chess with a pigeon; no matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon is just going to knock over the pieces, crap on the board and strut around like it's victorious." -- Anonymous

"A hat should be taken off when you greet a lady and left off for the rest of your life. Nothing looks more stupid than a hat." - P. J. O'Rourke