Author Topic: Is no-one boycotting Facebook? Why the hell not?  (Read 3122 times)

Offline dutch508

• Remember
Is no-one boycotting Facebook? Why the hell not?
« on: September 19, 2017, 08:42:40 PM »
Star Member Control-Z (12,215 posts) https://www.democraticunderground.com/10029611678

Is no-one boycotting Facebook? Why the hell not?

There are other ways to communicate. Email, Snapchat, or whatever the latest cool social software is. Facebook helped Russia and the maggot steal the presidency.

Shut them down. Boycott them until they sing.

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

Star Member Warren DeMontague (80,653 posts)
1. Millennials are boycotting it. Have been for years.

they just maintain the facade of an account so their grandparents don't know what they're really up to.

yeah... No.

Star Member Warren DeMontague (80,653 posts)
5. Yeah, really.

Their friend updates you reference are carefully crafted to convey a message of "I'm wearing sweater vests and going to class" instead of "I'm taking bong hits of skywalker kush and doing tequila body shots". It's not accidental.

Either way FB is pretty ingrained into the culture. I don't see a boycott taking off. My hunch is that energy would be better spent trying to disabuse people of fake news and encourage skepticism and rational thinking, but YMMV.

Star Member Control-Z (12,215 posts)
9. I don't even know wtf that first paragraph means. I have three millennials. I'll ask them what it means.

You may not see a boycott taking off but threats by every pink hat in the country might help get them to remember all those Russian accounts they know nothing about.

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

Star Member TexasProgresive (9,904 posts)
2. This baby boomer has boycotted all those anti-social media sites.

They are loaded with inanities at best and the worst is just unmentionable. They remind me of CB radio in its heyday.

Star Member More_Cowbell (417 posts)
6. I was sure I saw a 10/19/17 date for a group closing of accounts

But googling it doesn't help (maybe google is helping facebook not promote it   )

Could have been just the voices in my head, I guess.

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

teezy (258 posts)
7. I deleted my account last week.

It was hard because most of my online interaction has been on Facebook. For 10 years it's allowed me a convenient way to watch the lives of people I know or knew. It was hard to break from it, but when news broke about Facebook assisting Russia and turning its attention away from the massive impact this would have on Americans and people all over the world... without even needing to think about it I deleted the account and sent them a scathing message in my reason why.

I should have done it when I reported an image some troll posted of a KKK "scarecrow" in a field of watermelons and Facebook decided the image didn't violate any terms or conditions. I found that alarming. Then, recently and very out of the blue, every single "person you might know" went from people I did and could have known to absolute strangers I would never know from Africa or Southeast Asia. When news of the Equifax hack came out, I immediately wondered if there was a connection to all these people from overseas; where the **** did they all of a sudden come from? Then the Russia news. I feel like Facebook has been involved in something sinister and I will never use it again.

I stopped reading after the first sentence.

S
tar Member BigmanPigman (4,801 posts)
8. I posted the same request a week ago and got some nasty feedback

so I try to be careful now. This DU post needs to go viral!
https://www.democraticunderground.com/10029595857

PoliticAverse (17,541 posts)
17. The Chief Operating Officer of Facebook is a personal friend of Clinton's...

and gave her advice during her campaign...

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/09/12/sandbergs-warning-to-clinton-they-will-have-no-empathy-for-you.html

Yup. Facebook is "one of theirs'"
The torch of moral clarity since 12/18/07

2016 DOTY: 06 Omaha Steve - Is dying for ****'s face! How could you not vote for him, you heartless bastards!?!

Offline FlaGator

• Another Pilgrim
  • Democracy can survive anything except Democrats
Re: Is no-one boycotting Facebook? Why the hell not?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2017, 08:59:28 PM »
teezy (258 posts)
7. I deleted my account last week.

I call shenanigans! You can't delete your Facebook account. You can only inactivate it.
"My enemy's enemy is the enemy I kill last."
Klingon Proverb.

Offline BadCat

• I H8 Liberals
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2017, 07:21:35 AM »
I call shenanigans! You can't delete your Facebook account. You can only inactivate it.

And farcebook is some of the best spyware the government has.
Help keep America beautiful...deface a liberal.

The Democrat and Republican parties are simply the left and right wings of the same bird of prey.

The road to freedom is paved with dead liberals.

21fadb4221652b86382c8f73526880b7

Offline SVPete

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2017, 07:45:42 AM »
Given the success of Progs' boycotts of CfA and Hobby Lobby, FB would probably welcome Control-Z's proposed boycott, and maybe order up extra servers and hard drives for their server and disk farms.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2017, 10:36:57 AM by SVPete »
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline Duke Nukum

• Assistant Chair of the Committee on Neighborhood Services
  • O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2017, 10:25:37 AM »
Not that I am boycotting Facebook or anything but I just quit going there sometime after the election and while I've logged in one or two times since, I don't really feel the pull to go back. Messenger is really the only reason I haven't suspended my account.
“A man who has been through bitter experiences and travelled far enjoys even his sufferings after a time”
― Homer, The Odyssey

Offline thundley4

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2017, 10:50:26 AM »
Star Member More_Cowbell (417 posts)
6. I was sure I saw a 10/19/17 date for a group closing of accounts

But googling it doesn't help (maybe google is helping facebook not promote it   )

Facebook let greed hinder their leftist agenda of helping Hillary. However, both Facebook and Google lean far left and do what they can to silence the right.

Offline zeitgeist

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2017, 11:55:59 AM »

[DU mode] Facebook colluded with the Russians?  Oh dear.  I guess I won't be needing Facebook anymore.[/DU mode]

:rotf:[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HtKv55yE9OY[/youtube]
< watch this space for coming distractions >

Offline dixierose

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2017, 02:06:43 PM »
Not that I am boycotting Facebook or anything but I just quit going there sometime after the election and while I've logged in one or two times since, I don't really feel the pull to go back. Messenger is really the only reason I haven't suspended my account.

I'm not boycotting it either; but I haven't used it in years. I detest the stupid memes, chain letters, and drama that I saw there constantly. I can't believe some of the arguments that I saw between people...and the personal info that they put out there!
When Harry Truman was President of the United States, he had a sign on his desk in the White House that said: "The buck stops here." If Barack Obama had a sign on his desk, it would say: "The buck stops with Bush." - Thomas Sowell

Offline RobJohnson

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2017, 10:18:16 AM »
Some people on Facebook find it necessary to post every time they change their socks or flush the toilet.

I never see many "I just showered" status updates from those smelly liberals though.

Offline SVPete

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2017, 10:22:56 AM »
Some people on Facebook find it necessary to post every time they change their socks or flush the toilet.

I never see many "I just showered" status updates from those smelly liberals though.

DU-grade Progs change their socks? And don't swim in their toilets?
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline RobJohnson

« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2017, 10:52:42 AM »
DU-grade Progs change their socks? And don't swim in their toilets?

:lmao:

Good point.

Offline I_B_Perky

« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2017, 03:13:37 PM »
dummies boycotting facebunk. Whoop-dee-doo. That will teach ole zuckerbooger.

I am not boycotting facebunk, I just don't do it. Never have, never will.   I never saw the need to inform the world every time I take a shit and as far as I concerned, the whole premise of the site is inane.
Living in the Dummies minds rent free since 2009!

Montani Semper Liberi