Author Topic: Rockhead tells you about his cell phone  (Read 1327 times)

Offline AzJames73

• Deplorable
Rockhead tells you about his cell phone
« on: September 13, 2017, 09:39:52 AM »
MineralMan (98,383 posts)               https://www.democraticunderground.com/10029588422

Not Everyone Who Prefers Flip Phones is a Luddite
I have one. I use it to make and receive phone calls when I'm not at my desk. I'm an old fart with 72 years under my belt. But, I'm an early adopter when it comes to technology. I took my first computer programming class in 1963, when you had to put your programs on IBM punch cards. Before I retired, I was a Contributing Editor at PC World magazine and reviewed the latest hardware and software for a living. My tech stuff, other than my cell phone, is all current technology, and I use it extensively every day. Cell phones are just not a thing of mine. I use a tablet when I want to access apps that do stuff when away from my desk. The cell phone is just a phone. That is all I need it to be.

I bought my first cell phone, a Motorola bag phone, in the 80s, then replaced it with one of those Nokia brick phones. That gave way to a Motorola flip phone, as soon as they were on the market. For me, cell phones were just phones that didn't have wires connecting them to the POTS network. Since then, my cell phone has always been a small flip phone that I can slip into my shirt pocket without any part of it sticking out. I love my current Nokia flip phone. Its battery lets it stay on, waiting for calls for as long as 5 days. It works great for how I use it.

Sure, sometimes people chuckle when they see this old man haul his little tiny phone out of a shirt pocket. I don't care. It works for me. It's ideal for what it is, and I have other devices for doing other things.

Me? I chuckle when I see coverage of people standing in line at the Apple store, impatient to replace last year's iPhone with the latest and greatest from Apple. It seems silly to me, somehow. Worse, Apple is a major corporation that exploits low-wage workers in many places in the world, so it can profit from a manufactured need to have the latest technology as soon as it drops on the market.

My flip phone is eight years old. It still looks and works like new, and does a great job of making and receiving phone calls, which is why I have it. It has a camera, which I never use. It can text, but I don't text. Nobody has its number, either. My phone number for business and personal use is my landline number. I use call forwarding to send calls to my flip phone when I'm not in my office. I don't need anything else in my pocket for that. I do number

I don't care if other people want something more capable. That doesn't matter to me, but I wonder sometimes why there is a desire to replace a currently working smart phone with one that is only marginally more capable. I wonder.

DUmmies have been complaining about the new iPhone which spawned some threads. Jesus, if you don't like it, don't get it. Guess the new Apple product sent them into a tizzy this week. What will it be next week ?  :-)

Leftofcool will keep her flip phone thank you very much

https://www.democraticunderground.com/10029588095

Rockhead's other thread. iPhone is iPrivilege

https://www.democraticunderground.com/10029586229

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
Re: Rockhead tells you about his cell phone
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2017, 09:47:27 AM »
What Minnesota Moses is really saying is that he can't afford one of those new $1,000 cellular telephones.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Drafe Hoblin

Re: Rockhead tells you about his cell phone
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2017, 09:58:27 AM »
Gosh, I admire him... sitting in his cutting-edge, couch-pillow splendor, judging the Universe.

'Cept he's just another self-indulgent lib feeling left-out of every popular trend the generations concoct against him.  He gives himself away with saying nobody has his phone-number. 

Nobody, frankly, wants it.