Author Topic: Rich white broad thinks sexism is more important than racism  (Read 1741 times)

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
Rich white broad thinks sexism is more important than racism
« on: September 12, 2017, 12:28:20 PM »
kpete (56,564 posts)

"I'm of the general belief that as racist as this country can be, its even MORE sexist."

Last edited Tue Sep 12, 2017, 10:51 AM - Edit history (1)

TPM Reader CM refocuses us on gender …

I agree really strongly with your general take on Trump being an expression of white backlash, but I also wanted to add that I think you’re missing a really important component: GENDER.

A lot of people are talking about the fact that Trump is racist, but hardly anyone is discussing the role his sexism played in the campaign and how much of a factor it still is in our society. And also on the left. Let’s not forget that Bernie’s attacks on “identity politics” have actually very little to do with racism. When Bernie talks about identity politics, he’s talking about WOMEN who vote for WOMEN because they’re WOMEN. I actually can’t think of a single instance when a discussion of race has caused him to slam identity politics. It has always been the result of a discussion of women in politics.

As for Trump, some of his most egregious moments in the campaign were his moments of outright misogyny and yet hardly anyone cares. Obviously, the “Grab ’em by the p__y” moment comes to mind, but he also trotted out all of Bill Clinton’s accusers before one of the debates. That wasn’t about race, it was a gendered attack. The attacks on Hillary’s honesty and nastiness played right into a very typical (yet generally accepted) brand of American sexism that is so entrenched in our culture, we hardly even notice it. Trump’s fundamental nature is being alpha to the point of near absurdity. And the alpha ALWAYS WINS. Most of these people who voted for Trump after voting for Obama were the same people who voted for Bush TWICE. Why? Because Bush was the alpha against Gore and Kerry. Obama was the alpha against McCain and Romney. And Trump was the Alpha compared to Hillary because our society doesn’t allow women to be alpha’s, no matter how experienced, or in command they are.

I’m of the general belief that as racist as this country can be, it’s even MORE sexist. Think about it. Our country is half female, and yet, only 20 percent of our congressional delegation is female. That level of female representation is viewed in other countries as a cause for serious concern, but here in America, we take as business as usual.

I think the thing I keep coming back to is this: if Obama ran for a third term, do you think he would’ve won? I think he probably would have and most statistical evidence indicates that would probably be the case. That says it all right there. At the end of the day, this country has some serious issues with women.

I would add that these two posts were really responding to the Coates’ essay, which is about race. That’s why I focused so squarely on race. But gender was central to this election, not simply because the Democratic candidate was a woman but because in a way that parallels the racial dynamics, feminism and women’s equality was a key target of the backlash.

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/edblog/response-4

https://www.democraticunderground.com/10029585070

Let's take a moment to examine this with a LW mindset:

According to the Left blacks are being gunned down with impunity by police and private citizens and those that survive are destined for the Prison Industrial Complex.

But Trump said "grab them by the *****" when talking about a married woman that was flirting with him.

So - yeah - the rich white chick deserves the real focus of our attentions.
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
Re: Rich white broad thinks sexism is more important than racism
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2017, 12:36:26 PM »
CrispyQ (22,827 posts)

6. Black men got the vote before women.

The first division of the species is gender. When someone has a baby, the first thing you ask is if it's a boy or girl. The patriarchy is ancient. It will take a long time & a ton of education to dismantle it & we're not heading in the right direction, as a society.

It's the first question you ask if you want proper-fitting diapers.

redgreenandblue (1,840 posts)

2. So after a period of "Bernie is racist" we are back to "Bernie is sexist"...

I guess it is cyclical, like the seasons.

LanternWaste (28,291 posts)

14. Criticism of sacred cows is often perceived as an attack.

Is that a reference to loading Jews onto cattle cars?

It sure sounds like it to me.

:fuelfire:

Think I'm being too ridiculous in mocking the Proglodytes?

Star Member Nitram (6,839 posts)

16. My first reaction is that we don't want to get in a pissing contest over this subject.

Star Member LisaM (20,891 posts)

28. A pissing contest? LOL.

Women don't get into pissing contests. Just saying (I don't think you meant the remark to be sexist, but I immediately got a visual of people in a pissing contest, and it didn't involve any women!)

EXIT QUESTION: How does a group that comprises 51% of the population claim oppression and under representation in a nation that elects its leaders?
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."

Offline FiddyBeowulf

• "Its on, its off, its on, its off." "That is called blinking, boys."
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2017, 12:42:42 PM »
FLPanhandle (6,975 posts)
22. Absolutely true.

There are lots of discussions, and rightly so, on the Jim Crow era laws that targeted the rights of black people.

Is there a name for the set of restrictive laws that did the same for women?

Pregnancy being a fireable offense?
Job security hinging on a woman's weight?
Couldn't open a bank account or establish a line of credit unless a woman had a male to cosign?
Segregated school too. A woman who had the grades to attend some schools, but gender kept them out.

If a bunch of foreign White Supremacists and their families wanted to immigrate here, there would be a chorus of dissent on DU. A bunch of misogynistic Islamic immigrants? Welcome, and we won't say a word about your treatment of women. Keep them covered up and we will pretend it's just your culture.

Women's rights are the least talked about and supported of any group.
Parking this here in case it gets flushed down the memory hole.
Fire...BAD!!! - John Fetterman

The policies that are indorsed by this party, that they backer of which are much of the 1 percent, causes a social structure much like the one back before the Revolution.

-Words of wisdom from Lady Freedom Returns

"Arguing with liberals...it's like playing chess with a pigeon; no matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon is just going to knock over the pieces, crap on the board and strut around like it's victorious." -- Anonymous

"A hat should be taken off when you greet a lady and left off for the rest of your life. Nothing looks more stupid than a hat." - P. J. O'Rourke

Offline USA4ME

• Evil Capitalist
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2017, 12:51:42 PM »
Racism and sexism are major issues, but first we need to do something about restaurants whose pictures on their menu look nothing like the food you get served. I mean, that effects everyone.

Because third world peasant labor is a good thing.

Offline Carl

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2017, 12:53:44 PM »
It is fun watching pigs fight over who is more equal then the others.

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2017, 02:16:10 PM »
It is fun watching pigs fight over who is more equal then the others.

Yay, another round of "No, I'M the biggest victim!!!" wars!

:popcorn:
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline Skul

• Sometimes I drink water just to surprise my liver
  • Chief of the cathouse
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2017, 05:13:21 PM »
Mattress tag enforcement, NOW!! 
Then-Chief Justice John Marshall observed, “Between a balanced republic and a democracy, the difference is like that between order and chaos.”

John Adams warned in a letter, “Remember democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet, that did not commit suicide.”