Author Topic: Illegal Aliens In Central Florida Worry About Seeking Shelter  (Read 1640 times)

Offline HAPPY2BME

• For The People And By The People
Illegal Aliens In Central Florida Worry About Seeking Shelter
« on: September 09, 2017, 11:37:08 PM »

Report to the nearest Mexican consulate.

APOPKA, Fla. (Reuters) – With Hurricane Irma barreling down on Central Florida, Apopka resident Carmen Nova had a decision to make.

A Mexican immigrant living in the country illegally, she knew her mobile home was at risk in the storm. But the 30-year-old mother of three also knew that seeking protection could pose its own hazards.

In a time of increasing public sentiment against illegal immigration, undocumented immigrants like Nova are nervous about reporting to authorities, even if it is to take refuge from a hurricane.

“There’s an internal storm, there’s an external storm, and there’s a political storm, and they’re all targeting this community,” said Sister Ann Kendrick, a Roman Catholic nun, community organizer and immigrant rights advocate.

“They’re getting hammered,” said Kendrick, who has worked hard in advance of the hurricane to convince undocumented immigrants that it is safer to take shelter than to remain in less-than-sturdy homes.

Immigrant fears in the area were heightened in recent days after the sheriff in neighboring Polk County pledged to check criminal records of people seeking shelter. […]

Kendrick said she fielded calls throughout the day on Friday from undocumented immigrants who wondered if it was safe to report to shelters.

About 50 people, including several undocumented families, were waiting in line outside a shelter at Apopka High School when it opened at 9 a.m. on Saturday, Kendrick said.

“They trust the schools, and they trust us, so if we tell them it’s safe, they’re coming,” Kendrick said.

Nova, who cleans houses for a $15 an hour while her husband works as a landscaper for $12 an hour, was among those who decided to seek shelter, saying she would put her fate in God’s hands.

“If they ask for papers, I don’t have them,” Nova said from her mobile home with boarded up windows as she prepared her family to move to the shelter. “The authorities will have to do what they have to do. I am not going to live in fear.”

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-storm-harvey-taxes-analysis/harvey-struck-texas-counties-face-blow-to-property-tax-revenues-idUSKCN1BJ2DT?utm_campaign=trueAnthem:+Trending+Content&utm_content=59b414b204d301765bb81de5&utm_medium=trueAnthem&utm_source=twitter

Offline DumbAss Tanker

Re: Illegal Aliens In Central Florida Worry About Seeking Shelter
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2017, 11:44:35 PM »
That sure is some tough shit right there.  Maybe they should have thought of that before settling in to a state that has hurricane evacuations in random locations every frickin' year.
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline Old n Grumpy

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2017, 05:38:43 AM »
All the illegals looking for a pity party will get no sympathy from me. Shelter, food, water and any other assistance needs to go to Americans first. :sosad: :sosad:
Life is tough and it’s even tougher when you’re stupid

Basking in the glow of my white Privilege, while I water the Begonias with liberal tears!

I will give up my guns when the liberals give up their illegal aliens

We need a Bull Shit tax to make the Democrats go broke!

Offline DLR Pyro

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2017, 01:39:40 PM »
All the illegals looking for a pity party will get no sympathy from me. Shelter, food, water and any other assistance needs to go to Americans first. :sosad: :sosad:

same goes  for jobs and admissions to college.
Biden is an illegitimate President.  Change my mind.

Police lives matter.

Basking in the glow of my white privilege

ProudDad Donating Member (1000+ posts) Wed Mar-09-11 08:50 PM
64.I'd almost be willing to get a job in order to participate in
A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE
  https://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=102x4763020