Author Topic: Well, here we go again...  (Read 11612 times)

Offline ChuckJ

Well, here we go again...
« on: September 07, 2017, 04:18:33 PM »
Need as many prayers as you guys can give out. If you don't believe in prayers do what ever you do. Based on the latest track for Hurricane Irma it'll be dancing through my front yard sometime on Monday. I'm not concerned about the flooding like Houston has suffered (my prayers go out to them), but I am very much worried about the wind and falling trees. Hurricane Matthew did a number on us last year, but we came out much better than we could have. Thank the Lord.

The circumstances this go around look worse. Both the hurricane path AND other situations. My dad had to have a blood transfusion yesterday (two units or 1000 ml) and was supposed to do chemo next week (all due to his MDS). The chemo has been canceled because the hospital is closing. Then today my mom (who has been sick since Saturday) got diagnosed with pneumonia.

Keep praying for the hurricane victims everywhere, but please drop a special "Chuck" prayer in there somewhere too.

Thanks.
“Don’t vote for the person who tells you you deserve something. Just don’t do it if it’s something other than life, liberty, or the pursuit of possible happiness. If everyone is telling you you deserve something, vote for the one who is promising you the least. Be suspicious of the man or woman who tell you deserve everything. Because you don’t.” ---Mike Rowe

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
Re: Well, here we go again...
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2017, 04:20:05 PM »
You got it, my friend.  Prayers will be said.
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2017, 04:22:44 PM »
Prayers up from the soggy end of Texas.

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline Bad Dog

• God help me I do love it so
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2017, 04:38:48 PM »
Another prayer from TX.  Lash yourself to the mast.

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2017, 05:50:58 PM »
<<<always has a special prayer for ChuckJ, one of the finest gentlemen and truest Christians one can ever hope to meet.

And of course his family too.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2017, 07:00:57 PM »
ChuckJ - praying that Irma will be just another fly-by-night bitch that takes a dump on your lawn, but doesn't leave you without a lawn. Or a house.

Praying also for your family.

Buckle up!
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline HAPPY2BME

• For The People And By The People
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2017, 10:51:03 PM »
The circumstances this go around look worse. Both the hurricane path AND other situations. My dad had to have a blood transfusion yesterday (two units or 1000 ml) and was supposed to do chemo next week (all due to his MDS). The chemo has been canceled because the hospital is closing. Then today my mom (who has been sick since Saturday) got diagnosed with pneumonia.

=====================

This lady’s father is on oxygen. She broke down when she realized the last generator was taken. This man insisted she take his.

This lady's father is on oxygen. She broke down when realizing the last generator was taken. This man insisted she take his. God bless them! pic.twitter.com/nCRJXTXEmm

— Ryan Fournier (@RyanAFournier) September 8, 2017

https://twitter.com/RyanAFournier/status/905959831957372928/video/1

God bless them!

==================================

There are very good reasons why anxiety violence in South Florida is not being discussed right now, there are also some PC reasons I’m sure.  Regardless, perhaps this short reminder is worthwhile for a few people who may need to prepare themselves for what can happen.

Evacuation will not be possible for many people; partly because there’s a fuel shortage and not enough gas for South Florida people to actually get on the road and head North.  Ten to sixteen million people headed North on basically three main arteries is virtually impossible to pull off under the best of circumstances, so many will have to hunker down.

Keep a level head about yourself.   Avoid crowds.  If you have prepared yourself appropriately you should have enough supplies to last at least 3 days before needing to leave home.  If you can, stay inside; if you can’t, don’t travel alone.  Always have someone with you and look out for your neighbors.

Don’t tell anyone what supplies you may or may not have.  If anyone asks, even friends, instead ask them: what do they need?  If you can help, great, do it; but don’t discuss what your supplies are.  Also, remember, absent of electrical power, predators know everyone shopping is carrying cash.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2017, 10:55:26 PM by HAPPY2BME »

Offline Old n Grumpy

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2017, 04:11:07 PM »
There are very good reasons why anxiety violence in South Florida is not being discussed right now, there are also some PC reasons I’m sure.  Regardless, perhaps this short reminder is worthwhile for a few people who may need to prepare themselves for what can happen.

There may be some anxiety violence in dade and broward in the hoods, but here in palm beach the grocery stores shelves are full and the gas stations have gas and there are no lines at either of them.

A lot of people hit the road unprepared and are now stuck and clogging the roads for others. the hard truth living here is getting out is a bitch. if you don't live in a flood zone you are better off staying put. The best investment you can make is hurricane shutters or impact windows.
Life is tough and it’s even tougher when you’re stupid

Basking in the glow of my white Privilege, while I water the Begonias with liberal tears!

I will give up my guns when the liberals give up their illegal aliens

We need a Bull Shit tax to make the Democrats go broke!

Offline ChuckJ

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2017, 04:27:43 PM »
Now they are saying that the eye will be west of us which might be worse since they claim the east side spins off the most tornados. What gets me about this storm, even more so than the speed, is the size of it. It's huge.

After my initial post I got to thinking how these things create a sort of conundrum of conscience. Maybe 'conundrum' isn't the best word. I don't know as I'm not an English major. Nor am I a fictional spirit-guide who has insight into these type of things. Regardless, what I mean is that during these things we say things like "please don't let it hit me" which, by default, pretty much means "please let it hit someone else." Maybe we'd be better served to say "Your will be done. Just grant me the strength and courage to handle it."

Thanks for the thoughts and prayers. Right now my plan is to do the same as last time. I'm going to 'shelter in place' until the going gets too tough or the good Lord points me in another direction.
“Don’t vote for the person who tells you you deserve something. Just don’t do it if it’s something other than life, liberty, or the pursuit of possible happiness. If everyone is telling you you deserve something, vote for the one who is promising you the least. Be suspicious of the man or woman who tell you deserve everything. Because you don’t.” ---Mike Rowe

Offline HAPPY2BME

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2017, 06:20:46 PM »
Now they are saying that the eye will be west of us which might be worse since they claim the east side spins off the most tornados. What gets me about this storm, even more so than the speed, is the size of it. It's huge.

=====================

Easy for me to say, since I'm not in your shoes right now.

But, stay safe, use your head, and God IS able.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJ1GQFtHGxU[/youtube]

Offline USA4ME

• Evil Capitalist
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2017, 10:15:06 PM »
I've done all I can to prep. No storm surge as I live 30 miles inland, but expecting winds up to 100 mph and strong wind for at least 24-36 hours in Tampa. Not looking forward to it, that's for sure.

Because third world peasant labor is a good thing.

Offline HAPPY2BME

« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2017, 07:05:00 AM »
Strengthened Cat 5 Irma drives 5.6M to evacuate Florida coast

MIAMI (Septemer 8, 2017) — Hurricane Irma’s relentless advance on Florida narrowed the window for residents to get to safely, with the latest forecasts shifting landfall southwest of the heavily populated Miami metro area.

In one of the country’s largest evacuations, about 5.6 million people in Florida — more than one-quarter of the state’s population — were ordered to leave, and another 540,000 were ordered out on the Georgia coast. Authorities opened hundreds of shelters for people who did not leave. Hotels as far away as Atlanta filled up with evacuees.

“If you are planning to leave and do not leave tonight, you will have to ride out this extremely dangerous storm at your own risk,” Florida Gov. Rick Scott said.

https://www.onenewsnow.com/ap/united-states/strengthened-cat-5-irma-drives-56m-to-evacuate-florida-coast

============

5:00am Hurricane Irma – Alert For West Coast Tidal Storm Surge

Unfortunately the latest update from the National Hurricane Center shows another slight shift westward putting the South and Central West Coast of Florida in the path of immediate concern.  –ADVISORY UPDATE HERE–
http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/text/refresh/MIATCPAT1+shtml/090900.shtml

If you’ve followed along you might have noticed the ‘worst case scenario’ for the West coast of Florida. –Outlined Here–
https://theconservativetreehouse.com/2017/09/08/understanding-the-unique-challenge-to-south-florida-during-irma/

However, I want to draw your attention to the forecast timing; because there’s a remarkable synergy lining up with Hurricane Donna from 1960.  First here’s the latest NHC forecast map and times: 

https://theconservativetreehouse.com/2017/09/09/500am-hurricane-irma-alert-for-west-coast-tidal-storm-surge/

Offline Old n Grumpy

« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2017, 08:08:03 AM »
I've done all I can to prep. No storm surge as I live 30 miles inland, but expecting winds up to 100 mph and strong wind for at least 24-36 hours in Tampa. Not looking forward to it, that's for sure.

It looks like the latest prediction has it going up the west coast, we may be spared the worst in palm beach county. In spite of all the predictions from the talking heads we really won't know till it gets here.

The waiting is the hardest part, I hope it comes through in daylight hours.

Basking in the glow of my white Privilege, while I water the Begonias with liberal tears!

Offline HAPPY2BME

« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2017, 10:15:38 AM »
Mass Florida evacuation underway as Irma magnitude expands

MIAMI (September 9, 2017) — The window for Florida residents to safely evacuate narrowed Saturday as Hurricane Irma’s outer bands blew into the southern part of the state on a predicted path for landfall southwest of the heavily populated Miami metro area.

The enormous storm weakened slightly to Category 4 with maximum sustained winds of 130 mph (215 kph), but it was expected to pick up strength again as it takes aim at Florida. The storm was forecast to reach the Florida Keys on Sunday morning before moving up the state’s Gulf Coast.

The National Weather Service said damaging winds were moving into areas including Key Biscayne and Coral Gables on Saturday morning, while gusts of up to 56 mph (90 kph) were reported on Virginia Key off Miami.

The governor urged everybody in the Keys, where forecasters expect the storm to hit first, to get out.

Ray Scarborough and girlfriend Leah Etmanczyk left their home in Big Pine Key and fled north with her parents and three big dogs to stay with relatives in Orlando. Scarborough was 12 when Hurricane Andrew hit in 1992 and remembers lying on the floor in a hallway as the storm nearly ripped the roof off his house.

They said this one is going to be bigger than Andrew. When they told me that, that’s all I needed to hear,” said Scarborough, now a 37-year-old boat captain. “That one tore everything apart.”

Their house in the Keys, up on 6-foot (1.8-meter) stilts, has flooded before.

Nevertheless, forecasters warned that its hurricane-force winds were so wide they could reach from coast to coast, testing the nation’s third-largest state, which has undergone rapid development and more stringent hurricane-proof building codes in the last decade or so.

“This is a storm that will kill you if you don’t get out of the way,” National Hurricane Center meteorologist Dennis Feltgen said. “Everybody’s going to feel this one.”

https://www.onenewsnow.com/ap/united-states/mass-florida-evacuation-underway-as-irma-magnitude-expands

Offline HAPPY2BME

« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2017, 08:34:59 PM »
Trump prays with his Cabinet at Camp David, talks Irma: 'We've never seen anything like this'

President Trump and members of his Cabinet bowed their heads in prayer as they met at Camp David in Maryland before the president offered words of support for those impacted and still threatened by Hurricanes Harvey and Irma.

"All of American continues ... to pray for the families affected by Hurricane Harvey, Hurricane Irma which looks like it's really going to be a bad one. But we're prepared. We're as prepared as you can be for such an event," Trump said in a video posted on his @realDonaldTrump Twitter account. "All of America grieves for those who have already lost their lives."

Trump also said of Irma, which is heading to Florida as a "major" hurricane, that "we've never seen anything like this."

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/trump-prays-with-his-cabinet-at-camp-david-talks-irma-weve-never-seen-anything-like-this/article/2633934

Offline Old n Grumpy

« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2017, 05:40:38 AM »
This storm is going to be a doozy. woke up at 5:30 am, the storm is just south of key west, about 250 miles south of here and there is already 40 to 45 mph winds and driving rain.

Offline BlueStateSaint

« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2017, 05:48:44 AM »
This storm is going to be a doozy. woke up at 5:30 am, the storm is just south of key west, about 250 miles south of here and there is already 40 to 45 mph winds and driving rain.

One of the guys in the deer camp I belong to is hunkered and bunkered in Naples.  Not a good place to be right about now.
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.

Offline HAPPY2BME

« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2017, 06:46:02 AM »
 Dan Scavino Jr.‏Verified account @Scavino45 9h9 hours ago

Hurricane force winds hit Florida Keys. 390 shelters have been opened in Florida. Shelters near you➡️http://www.floridadisaster.org/index.asp  #HurricaneIrma

Florida Emergency Preparedness Update Information

http://www.floridadisaster.org/index.asp

Offline BlueStateSaint

« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2017, 06:52:47 AM »
As I just posted in the Shoutbox, I'll take a nor'easter any day over a hurricane.

Chase her.

Offline HAPPY2BME

« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2017, 06:56:04 AM »
For those outside the SWFL area, NBC-2 is a local network with exceptional coverage of Hurricane Irma for Lee, Collier and Charlotte counties.  Also, now that Irma is close to the keys the NBC 250 mile radar sweep allows them to follow Irma via their own radar which is far more precise and up to the hour accurate.  NBC-2.Com Website HERE  http://www.nbc-2.com/category/300756/nbc2-247-streaming-video

They also have a livestream Youtube channel NBC2 News , and they are broadcasting 24/7 on the storm as she arrives.  This information is far more useful than Weather or National Channel’s.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_egSTyWb1gk[/youtube]

Offline USA4ME

• Evil Capitalist
« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2017, 06:56:36 AM »
The next 36 hours is it. Chances are I'll be without electricity for a few days, maybe even a week or more. I'll check in when time allows. Pray for all of us.

Because third world peasant labor is a good thing.

Offline HAPPY2BME

« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2017, 07:00:23 AM »
The next 36 hours is it. Chances are I'll be without electricity for a few days, maybe even a week or more. I'll check in when time allows. Pray for all of us.

==========================

Thanks for the update.  There are over 16,000 extra emergency power techs from all over the country riding out the storm with you.

16,000 Utility Technicians From 30 States and Canada Already Stationed in Florida to Help Bring Power Back After Irma

Hundreds and hundreds of power trucks have come to Daytona Beach from across the nation and Canada.

30 states have sent utility crews to join up with FD&L which services about half the people in the state of Florida.

What a great country!
The utility and landscaping trucks are lined up in the Daytona Beach parking lot ready to head out after Irma hits the Sunshine state.

Rick Leventhal at FOX News reported:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=3&v=88sOkVpgbrc
« Last Edit: September 10, 2017, 07:11:02 AM by HAPPY2BME »

Offline HAPPY2BME

« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2017, 07:18:41 AM »
You just can't fix stupid though.

=========

ONE LAST BLOWOUTHurricane Irma – Defiant Florida residents stock up on beer and vow to stay and party through deadly megastorm as Miami cops impose curfew to stop looters raiding evacuated homes

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/4428085/hurricane-irma-florida-parties-miami-beach/?utm_source=TWITTER&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=SprnklrSUNOrganic&UTMX=Editorial:TheSun:TwImageandlink:Statement:News

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2017, 09:41:03 AM »
I take it that ChuckJ and his family are no longer in the path of the storm, but USA4ME is?

Or did I read the television screen (at the bar in town) wrongly?
apres moi, le deluge

Offline ChuckJ

« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2017, 10:22:33 AM »
I take it that ChuckJ and his family are no longer in the path of the storm, but USA4ME is?

Or did I read the television screen (at the bar in town) wrongly?

Yeah, it has shifted to the west a good bit, but it's already raining here. They are still forecasting for us to get gusts up to 60 or 70 miles per hour and a lot of rain, but that's better for us than where they had it forecasted a couple of days ago. My concern, and this is not just for me but is for my entire area, is that we've had so much rain since Hurricane Matthew. I'm scared that when the already saturated ground is mixed with much wind that it will result in even more trees down that with Matthew.

The weird thing is that when they were forecasting for it to pass through my front yard I was debating on heading west to Dothan, Alabama. With the track that they are forecasting now it looks like I would have been closer to the path in Dothan than I will be here.

I'm just praying the USA4ME and whoever else in its path stays safe.