Author Topic: North Korea: Kim Jong Un observes missile-ready hydrogen bomb  (Read 7208 times)

Offline mrclose

North Korea: Kim Jong Un observes missile-ready hydrogen bomb
« on: September 02, 2017, 08:22:17 PM »

Seoul, South Korea (CNN)North Korea's regime has "succeeded in making a more developed nuke," according to the country's state news agency.

The Korean Central News Agency described it as a "nuke" in its English-language report, but called it a "thermonuclear hydrogen bomb" in the Korean version.

During a visit to the country's Nuclear Weapons Institute, North Korean leader Kim Jong Un "watched an H-bomb to be loaded into new ICBM (intercontinental ballistic missile)," KCNA reported.

There was no independent confirmation of the claims.

"The H-bomb, the explosive power of which is adjustable from tens kiloton to hundreds kiloton, is a multi-functional thermonuclear nuke with great destructive power which can be detonated even at high altitudes for super-powerful EMP (electromagnetic pulse) attack according to strategic goals," KCNA reported in English.

This week, North Korea launched an intermediate-range missile, identified by the North Koreans as the Hwasong-12.

The missile flew over Japan, further exacerbating tensions between North Korea and the United States and its allies, Japan and South Korea.

North Korea has been test-firing missiles at a rapid pace all year. With each launch, experts say Pyongyang can further refine and perfect its missile technology.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/09/02/asia/north-korea-kim-jong-un-nuke-lab-visit/index.html

"When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead.
It is difficult only for the others.

It is the same when you are stupid."

~ Anonymous

Offline DumbAss Tanker

Re: North Korea: Kim Jong Un observes missile-ready hydrogen bomb
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2017, 11:05:12 PM »
Bluffing.  Of course even a fission bomb that goes low-order on populated land is still a huge disaster, and he can probably make that happen at least as far away as Japan.  It's really time to start interdicting his launch vehicles as soon as they clear the pad.
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline Fourwinds

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2017, 11:12:25 PM »
Bluffing.  Of course even a fission bomb that goes low-order on populated land is still a huge disaster, and he can probably make that happen at least as far away as Japan.  It's really time to start interdicting his launch vehicles as soon as they clear the pad.

I think you're not alone with that thought. From what I understand, the Navy has been practicing at whack-a-missile recently.

Offline mrclose

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2017, 12:48:33 AM »
Just heard on the news that there was a 6.3 "earthquake" in NK.
Problem being that many believe that the seismic activity was caused by the Norks testing an underground Nuke!

http://abcnews.go.com/International/63-magnitude-explosion-detected-north-korea-usgs/story?id=49591865
"When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead.
It is difficult only for the others.

It is the same when you are stupid."

~ Anonymous

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2017, 05:47:22 AM »
The NoKos proudly announced to the world that they tested a hydrogen bomb, and can put it onto an ICBM.  The Japanese are talking about a pre-emptive first strike, and I think that the Chinese and Russians may have been out of the loop until it went off.  Maybe Putin knew, based on his statements of the last few days; maybe he didn't.
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2017, 07:47:50 AM »
The NoKos proudly announced to the world that they tested a hydrogen bomb, and can put it onto an ICBM.  The Japanese are talking about a pre-emptive first strike, and I think that the Chinese and Russians may have been out of the loop until it went off.  Maybe Putin knew, based on his statements of the last few days; maybe he didn't.

The thing with his underground testing is we don't know anything about the parameters of the weapon tested.  I've been to the nuke museum, including classified parts, and the first US H-bomb would have had to have been delivered via a freighter, it was approximately the size of a large cargo container or boxcar.  It took a long time and a lot of cutting-edge tech to get one down to what an aircraft could lift, and they don't make efficient missile warheads because multiple fission weapons on MIRV vehicles actually work a lot better than a single fusion weapon.  His missile tech has had some extremely mixed results, missile capability that works some of the time and has a forty percent chance of getting a minimum weapon package to the end of its trajectory is a shaky way to deliver weapons that you possess in very limited numbers.

We can tell if something blew up with an underground test.  We can tell about what magnitude it was.  Everything else is conjecture.  Unlike his first couple of tests, this one was too big to fake with a few thousand tons of conventional explosives down the hole, but the fact of the matter is we have no idea whether the weapon was small enough for any of his vehicles to lift or even close to that, and whether or not it was actually a fusion weapon or just a bigger fission weapon.

Offline FunkyZero

• ha ha, charade you are
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2017, 08:29:19 AM »
The thing with his underground testing is we don't know anything about the parameters of the weapon tested.  I've been to the nuke museum, including classified parts, and the first US H-bomb would have had to have been delivered via a freighter, it was approximately the size of a large cargo container or boxcar.  It took a long time and a lot of cutting-edge tech to get one down to what an aircraft could lift, and they don't make efficient missile warheads because multiple fission weapons on MIRV vehicles actually work a lot better than a single fusion weapon.  His missile tech has had some extremely mixed results, missile capability that works some of the time and has a forty percent chance of getting a minimum weapon package to the end of its trajectory is a shaky way to deliver weapons that you possess in very limited numbers.

We can tell if something blew up with an underground test.  We can tell about what magnitude it was.  Everything else is conjecture.  Unlike his first couple of tests, this one was too big to fake with a few thousand tons of conventional explosives down the hole, but the fact of the matter is we have no idea whether the weapon was small enough for any of his vehicles to lift or even close to that, and whether or not it was actually a fusion weapon or just a bigger fission weapon.

I think we all know though, time is our enemy here. Nukes are quite simple devices... but very difficult to get right. Basically, a mass simply has to EXIST in the correct form in order to "explode" with such unbelievable release.
Right now, I don't think fatboy is capable of producing more complex compression triggering systems required. Of course I'm basing this on pretty much no actual facts, just the state of the place.
I mean, they can't even produce an aircraft or turbine on their own. They almost HAVE to be buying this stuff, not developing it themselves. Mitigating those purchases isn't really a "solution" of sorts, they will always find a way to get the stuff.
It's a damned shame, but I only see one actual fix for this, and it involves destruction of the communist state, starting with NK.
The only other potential solution is to go after Chinas banks with prejudice. I don't think they really WANT to be involved in this debauchery in any way, but like it or not, they are going to have to step up... we could topple China with financial moves and they know it. They're known money launderers for fatboy, we have them dead to rights... it's just a matter of leveraging that and hoping they see there is no longer a choice. Fatboy is a threat not only to that region, but stability in a global view.

Offline Fourwinds

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2017, 12:43:13 PM »
You know, if this thing does actually happen I wonder if the Army will take my fat ass back. I could use some tax free pay.

Offline BlueStateSaint

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2017, 12:55:09 PM »
The only other potential solution is to go after Chinas banks with prejudice. I don't think they really WANT to be involved in this debauchery in any way, but like it or not, they are going to have to step up... we could topple China with financial moves and they know it. They're known money launderers for fatboy, we have them dead to rights... it's just a matter of leveraging that and hoping they see there is no longer a choice. Fatboy is a threat not only to that region, but stability in a global view.

Yes, the Chinese hold a tad over $1 trillion of our debt.  They could, conceivably 'call it in.'  The US Treasury could then say, "We're not paying."  The economic consequences would be huge, as the dollar would drop like "Little Boy" out of the bomb bay of the Enola Gay on August 6th of 1945, but it would absolutely wreck the Chinese economy, as we account for 30% to 40% of all their factories' output.  Economic unrest in China would be catastrophic on a level close to the RMS Titanic hitting the iceberg.  That would start WW III, because the one way you distract your population from a bad economy is to make an outside entity the enemy.

If 'The Un' does have a mini nuke and he does fire it at the US, it would probably be shot down, and the People's Republic of Korea would cease to exist.  You know those 10,000 artillery tubes within range of Seoul?  Nuclear-armed Tomahawks (mixed in among the 2,000 or so that would be fired) backed by B-2 Spirits with B61-12s at damn near max output, would turn them into metallic hulks warmed by the fires of whatever flammable material they had on or near them.  Sure, rounds would fall into Seoul.  But not as many as people think would fall.  The nuclear hammer would crush those tubes into molten metal.
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.

Offline FunkyZero

• ha ha, charade you are
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2017, 01:04:37 PM »
Yes, the Chinese hold a tad over $1 trillion of our debt.  They could, conceivably 'call it in.'  The US Treasury could then say, "We're not paying."  The economic consequences would be huge, as the dollar would drop like "Little Boy" out of the bomb bay of the Enola Gay on August 6th of 1945, but it would absolutely wreck the Chinese economy, as we account for 30% to 40% of all their factories' output.  Economic unrest in China would be catastrophic on a level close to the RMS Titanic hitting the iceberg.  That would start WW III, because the one way you distract your population from a bad economy is to make an outside entity the enemy.

If 'The Un' does have a mini nuke and he does fire it at the US, it would probably be shot down, and the People's Republic of Korea would cease to exist.  You know those 10,000 artillery tubes within range of Seoul?  Nuclear-armed Tomahawks (mixed in among the 2,000 or so that would be fired) backed by B-2 Spirits with B61-12s at damn near max output, would turn them into metallic hulks warmed by the fires of whatever flammable material they had on or near them.  Sure, rounds would fall into Seoul.  But not as many as people think would fall.  The nuclear hammer would crush those tubes into molten metal.

It all points to the fact that there is NO good outcome here, and decades of not practicing proactive threat mitigation brought us here.
there is but one peaceful vehicle that can fix this, but China so far has refused to deal with it. No one is asking the bastards to like it, just that they recognize their OWN self-interests here and intervene... cut fatboy off and blockade his ass. He MUST go away

Offline Fourwinds

« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2017, 02:14:52 PM »
It all points to the fact that there is NO good outcome here, and decades of not practicing proactive threat mitigation brought us here.
there is but one peaceful vehicle that can fix this, but China so far has refused to deal with it. No one is asking the bastards to like it, just that they recognize their OWN self-interests here and intervene... cut fatboy off and blockade his ass. He MUST go away

For the life of my I can't understand why they won't do it. From what I understand China actually gets very little from North Korea as far as trade goes. It's mostly cheap knockoff items such as shoes and women's underwear. The only real item they have worth anything is a little coal. Even then in the grand scheme of things they get far more from the U.S. If Chinese/NK relations were really truly to go south China loses out on very little. If China were to hurt the North Koreans economically it would put a leash on those crazy pricks and they wouldn't have to worry about a possible war with the U.S. on their back porch.

Offline BlueStateSaint

« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2017, 08:42:50 PM »
There is another option to deal with the NoKos.  That would be to 'quietly' allow the SoKos a couple of nukes, as well as the Japanese Self-Defence Forces.  The Chinese do not want two of their economic and military rivals, right on their doorstep, to have nuclear weapons.  It would easily get back to the Chinese, Russians, and NoKos that they had nukes, too, and the Chinese would have a massive incentive to come to the negotiating table, dragging the kicking and screaming NoKos with them.

Chase her.

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2017, 08:52:36 PM »
There is another option to deal with the NoKos.  That would be to 'quietly' allow the SoKos a couple of nukes, as well as the Japanese Self-Defence Forces.  The Chinese do not want two of their economic and military rivals, right on their doorstep, to have nuclear weapons.  It would easily get back to the Chinese, Russians, and NoKos that they had nukes, too, and the Chinese would have a massive incentive to come to the negotiating table, dragging the kicking and screaming NoKos with them.

I think the Japanese have, or at least had, a Constitutional prohibition on that, but given the turn of events, there is a faction supporting a change there.  Not sure how the ROK feels about it, they have surprisingly ambivalent feelings about the North in general.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2017, 10:20:21 AM »
I think the Japanese have, or at least had, a Constitutional prohibition on that, but given the turn of events, there is a faction supporting a change there.  Not sure how the ROK feels about it, they have surprisingly ambivalent feelings about the North in general.

Yes, and I think - at least for some years - they refused to allow home-porting of nuke warships in their waters. The USS Kitty Hawk, an oil-fired carrier just recently mothballed, was ported there for that reason. The Japanese may have changed their stance on that - dunno.

None of that has anything to do with the Norks, but I just thought I throw it out there.
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline Crazy Horse

• Army 0 Navy 34
  • Topic Moderator
  • Sex, Booze and Bacon Minion
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2017, 11:08:41 AM »
Yes, and I think - at least for some years - they refused to allow home-porting of nuke warships in their waters. The USS Kitty Hawk, an oil-fired carrier just recently mothballed, was ported there for that reason. The Japanese may have changed their stance on that - dunno.

None of that has anything to do with the Norks, but I just thought I throw it out there.

They have, considering the USS Ronald Reagan (CVN 76) is home ported in Yokosuka.
You got off your ass, now get your wife off her back.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2017, 12:37:31 PM »
They have, considering the USS Ronald Reagan (CVN 76) is home ported in Yokosuka.

For some reason I thought either the Kitty Hawk was not replaced, or it was replaced by another oil-fired carrier.

Thanks for the info!

Offline Crazy Horse

• Army 0 Navy 34
  • Topic Moderator
  • Sex, Booze and Bacon Minion
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2017, 02:47:00 PM »
For some reason I thought either the Kitty Hawk was not replaced, or it was replaced by another oil-fired carrier.

Thanks for the info!

I believe it was replaced by the USS George Washington
You got off your ass, now get your wife off her back.

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2017, 06:54:14 AM »
The carrier thing was not really about whether it was nuke powered so much as whether it had nuke weapons on board, which is of course classified so the DOD would always respond with 'We can neither confirm nor deny..."

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2017, 11:59:40 AM »
The carrier thing was not really about whether it was nuke powered so much as whether it had nuke weapons on board, which is of course classified so the DOD would always respond with 'We can neither confirm nor deny..."

Well, Japan appears to be beyond that particular concern.

And then Fukushima......