Author Topic: Bringing up Creationism and Noah turns CU into DU  (Read 40917 times)

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Re: Bringing up Creationism and Noah turns CU into DU
« Reply #50 on: January 22, 2008, 12:27:44 PM »
I'll take God's word over that of a scientist any day.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #51 on: January 22, 2008, 12:55:47 PM »

So you don't go to a physician when you are ill?  You eschew the Internet (I guess not)?

You can't even rely on the Bible itself -- Genesis I and Genesis II disagree with each other.  You speak Arameic?  I hope so because that is the only way you can hope to read the third and forth hand texts of the source material of the Bible.

The Bible is a theological text to tell man how to live his life. It never represents itself as a scientific text nor should it be used as such.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #52 on: January 22, 2008, 12:59:29 PM »

So you don't go to a physician when you are ill?  You eschew the Internet (I guess not)?

You can't even rely on the Bible itself -- Genesis I and Genesis II disagree with each other.  You speak Arameic?  I hope so because that is the only way you can hope to read the third and forth hand texts of the source material of the Bible.

The Bible is a theological text to tell man how to live his life. It never represents itself as a scientific text nor should it be used as such.

Yet scientists spend their entire lives trying to disprove it...to no avail.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #53 on: January 22, 2008, 01:36:07 PM »

Scientists have no desire to prove or disprove any theological text.  They go where the facts lead. One of these facts is there was no global flood.  That doesn't detract in the slightest from God's Word.

Oh, so I assume you are OK with slavery?  Sending she-bears out to kill children who blaspheme?  Taking out the eyes of your enemies?  These, too, are the Words of God.

And why are you on the Internet?  It is from those EEEVIL Scientists who want to close the Bible.  Oh, and do you or don't you use medical doctors? You realize almost all biological science is founded in TToE. As is 100% of pharmacology. Do you take drugs?  Or do you just pray that illnesses for you and your children just go away?

Offline Chris_

« Reply #54 on: January 22, 2008, 05:00:32 PM »

Scientists have no desire to prove or disprove any theological text. 
Utter b.s.
They go where the facts lead. One of these facts is there was no global flood. 
Prove it.
That doesn't detract in the slightest from God's Word.
No, it contradicts it.
Oh, so I assume you are OK with slavery?  Sending she-bears out to kill children who blaspheme?  Taking out the eyes of your enemies?  These, too, are the Words of God. 
Try reading the New Testament
And why are you on the Internet?  It is from those EEEVIL Scientists who want to close the Bible.  Oh, and do you or don't you use medical doctors? You realize almost all biological science is founded in TToE. As is 100% of pharmacology. Do you take drugs?  Or do you just pray that illnesses for you and your children just go away?
Looks like somebody's off his meds.  Pick a direction and stick with it.
 :whatever:

Offline djones520

« Reply #55 on: January 22, 2008, 11:40:53 PM »

Dishonesty is a human thing.  Dishonesty is usually about personal gain.  God has no such needs.  The thought of God being dishonest is a real sidesplitter.  It is pointless.  Completely pointless.

Correct... Dishonesty is a tactic which is usually used for personal gain... but not always. Sometimes, dishonesty can have a noble purpose. What matters is intent not tactic. So, how do we know that God doesn't use dishonesty for a noble purpose?

There's a saying.  "The road to Hell was paved with good intentions."
"Chuck Norris once had sex in an 18 wheeler. Some of his semen dripped onto the engine. We now call that truck Optimus Prime."

Offline djones520

« Reply #56 on: January 23, 2008, 04:33:12 AM »
Prove it.

Flooding is easily located in geological strata.  Ask any geologist this and he will tell you.  There isn't anything out there to suggest such a thing.  Here are some other things to look at though.

6. Implications of a Flood
A global flood would have produce evidence contrary to the evidence we see.

How do you explain the relative ages of mountains? For example, why weren't the Sierra Nevadas eroded as much as the Appalachians during the Flood?

Why is there no evidence of a flood in ice core series? Ice cores from Greenland have been dated back more than 40,000 years by counting annual layers. [Johnsen et al, 1992,; Alley et al, 1993] A worldwide flood would be expected to leave a layer of sediments, noticeable changes in salinity and oxygen isotope ratios, fractures from buoyancy and thermal stresses, a hiatus in trapped air bubbles, and probably other evidence. Why doesn't such evidence show up?

How are the polar ice caps even possible? Such a mass of water as the Flood would have provided sufficient buoyancy to float the polar caps off their beds and break them up. They wouldn't regrow quickly. In fact, the Greenland ice cap would not regrow under modern (last 10 ky) climatic conditions.

Why did the Flood not leave traces on the sea floors? A year long flood should be recognizable in sea bottom cores by (1) an uncharacteristic amount of terrestrial detritus, (2) different grain size distributions in the sediment, (3) a shift in oxygen isotope ratios (rain has a different isotopic composition from seawater), (4) a massive extinction, and (n) other characters. Why do none of these show up?

Why is there no evidence of a flood in tree ring dating? Tree ring records go back more than 10,000 years, with no evidence of a catastrophe during that time. [Becker & Kromer, 1993; Becker et al, 1991; Stuiver et al, 1986]

http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/faq-noahs-ark.html#flood

There are mountains and mountains of data that points to the fact that a global flood has never happend. 

There is a book written 3000 years ago that says there was.  Have you got anything else that would PROVE that it did happen?
« Last Edit: January 23, 2008, 04:38:48 AM by djones520 »
"Chuck Norris once had sex in an 18 wheeler. Some of his semen dripped onto the engine. We now call that truck Optimus Prime."

Offline djones520

« Reply #57 on: January 23, 2008, 04:50:44 AM »

God didn't write the Bible Lug-nut.  Man did.  And Man is fallible.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #58 on: January 23, 2008, 05:49:26 AM »

No, God did not physically write the Bible, but the Bible is the inspired word of God.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #59 on: January 23, 2008, 05:51:21 AM »
Prove it.

Flooding is easily located in geological strata.  Ask any geologist this and he will tell you.  There isn't anything out there to suggest such a thing.  Here are some other things to look at though.

How do you explain the relative ages of mountains? For example, why weren't the Sierra Nevadas eroded as much as the Appalachians during the Flood?

Why is there no evidence of a flood in ice core series? Ice cores from Greenland have been dated back more than 40,000 years by counting annual layers. [Johnsen et al, 1992,; Alley et al, 1993] A worldwide flood would be expected to leave a layer of sediments, noticeable changes in salinity and oxygen isotope ratios, fractures from buoyancy and thermal stresses, a hiatus in trapped air bubbles, and probably other evidence. Why doesn't such evidence show up?

How are the polar ice caps even possible? Such a mass of water as the Flood would have provided sufficient buoyancy to float the polar caps off their beds and break them up. They wouldn't regrow quickly. In fact, the Greenland ice cap would not regrow under modern (last 10 ky) climatic conditions.

Why did the Flood not leave traces on the sea floors? A year long flood should be recognizable in sea bottom cores by (1) an uncharacteristic amount of terrestrial detritus, (2) different grain size distributions in the sediment, (3) a shift in oxygen isotope ratios (rain has a different isotopic composition from seawater), (4) a massive extinction, and (n) other characters. Why do none of these show up?

Why is there no evidence of a flood in tree ring dating? Tree ring records go back more than 10,000 years, with no evidence of a catastrophe during that time. [Becker & Kromer, 1993; Becker et al, 1991; Stuiver et al, 1986]

There are mountains and mountains of data that points to the fact that a global flood has never happend. 

There is a book written 3000 years ago that says there was.  Have you got anything else that would PROVE that it did happen?
There are many mountains of data that say it did happen.  Still waiting for proof it didn't.

Offline djones520

« Reply #60 on: January 23, 2008, 05:58:16 AM »
Prove it.

There are many mountains of data that say it did happen.  Still waiting for proof it didn't.

Why don't you present some of that then?  Meet me half way here.

And by the way, what I gave you was proof.  It's not my fault if you don't read it.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2008, 06:07:36 AM by djones520 »

Offline djones520

« Reply #61 on: January 23, 2008, 06:03:11 AM »

No, God did not physically write the Bible, but the Bible is the inspired word of God.

It was still written by Man. 

My question for you.  I've heard the argument time and time again that God changes his means.  Hence the explanation from the wrathful and vengeful God of the Old Testament to the loving God of the New Testament.

The Muslims worship the same God that Christians and Jews worship, just differant teachings.  How are you to know that when the Quran was dictated, it wasn't God's new word?  What makes the Christian teachings anymore right then Muslim teachings?

Is it just Faith?

So if all you have is Faith, then why trust the literal teachings of the book?

Offline djones520

« Reply #62 on: January 23, 2008, 06:34:22 AM »
Let me rephrase that.  Not the teachings.  I don't ever wanna challenge a mans faith.

But the literal story.  The story of the flood.  The story of the Creation.  Etc...

Like NightOwl said, the meaning is still there.  The teachings are still there.  But that book was written in a time when no explanations could be given for such things other then the story of Genesis.  Times are differant now.  There is so much PROOF now that refutes the literal words of that book.  Hell, the story of Genesis was written thousands of years after the events where supposed to have occured, with no written documentation to support it.  You mean to tell me that every bit of that story is factual?

I present you actualy scientific evidence that says an event did not occur, and you say it's not proof, when all you have to go on is a story written 3,300 years ago by someone who had no documentation at all of the events that he wrote of.

It just makes no sense to me.

Offline Ptarmigan

• Bunny Slayer
  • God Hates Bunnies
« Reply #63 on: January 23, 2008, 07:54:48 PM »
The Bible is written in a poetic nature.
Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
-Napoleon Bonaparte

Allow enemies their space to hate; they will destroy themselves in the process.
-Lisa Du

Offline Chris_

« Reply #64 on: January 23, 2008, 09:15:00 PM »
Prove it.

And by the way, what I gave you was proof.  It's not my fault if you don't read it.
No, you provide opinions.
Still waiting for your proof.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #65 on: January 23, 2008, 09:19:41 PM »

It was still written by Man.  [\quote]
It is still the inspired word of God.
My question for you.  I've heard the argument time and time again that God changes his means.  Hence the explanation from the wrathful and vengeful God of the Old Testament to the loving God of the New Testament.[\quote]
Time to read it for yourself.
The Muslims worship the same God that Christians and Jews worship, just differant teachings.  How are you to know that when the Quran was dictated, it wasn't God's new word?  What makes the Christian teachings anymore right then Muslim teachings?  [\quote]
1.  Mohammad was a mortal man.  Jesus wasn't.
2.  The Bible foretold many false prophets and how to recognize them.
Is it just Faith?

So if all you have is Faith, then why trust the literal teachings of the book?
That's what faith is.

Offline djones520

« Reply #66 on: January 24, 2008, 12:44:26 AM »
Prove it.

No, you provide opinions.
Still waiting for your proof.

Lugnut, so you mean to tell me that Ice doesn't float in water?  It's only an opinion?  The amount of rainfall required for the world to be covered like the Bible says would have destroyed the Polar ICE Caps.  In the time since then, it would have been impossible for that ice to reform to the levels that they are at today.  The means to do so would have required a MASSIVE cold snap of the likes of what they had in "The Day After Tomorrow".  And let me tell you something.  I'm a meteorologist.  That has never happend, and never will.

Flooding does leave geographic evidence.  That is a fact, cold and hard.  Soils will be displaced, and it is extremely easy to spot where a flood has occured in the past.  No evidence has been found anywhere in the world to support this story.  None.  Geologic records are clean. 

Geology is a science founded on fact.  There is evidence that you can see, touch, and even taste if you want.  Geology says a global flood has NEVER occured.  Check that link I gave you.  It gives item of evidence after item of evidence.  It is not opinion.  It is well stated proof presented in a scientific matter.

I don't even need to touch the impossibility of the task of collecting every animal on earth, or explaining how it's impossible for things to die at the same time to be buried in drastically differant strata (like the dinosaurs, compaired to more present creatures), because the geological record already disproves the possibility of the story.

Offline MrsSmith

« Reply #67 on: February 11, 2008, 07:38:07 PM »
I know I'm at the tail-end of this discussion, but I'd like to point out that there certainly have been massive cold snaps.  How many times have mastodon been found frozen with undigested flowers still inside their stomachs?  That took an extremely massive cold snap at a time when flowers were blooming

World-wide flooding would obviously not leave the same soil displacement as localized flooding.  What it would cause is the dirt settling in layers.  A simple child's experiment can prove that fact.

Our science of geology is the based on interpretation of evidence, not facts.

Antifa - the only fascists in America today.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #68 on: February 11, 2008, 07:49:32 PM »
About the story of Noah...

Pablo Picasso once said that painting is a series of lies meant to express the truth. I view the Bible in the same way that Picasso viewed painting... as a series of lies meant to express the truth. Stories in the Bible do not have to be literally true to be figuratively true or spiritually true. For instance, to believe that God created the universe one need not believe the Biblical claim that he created it in 7 days.

I have never understood why some Christians feel the need to cling to the notion that the Bible is literally true. Faith does not require that stories in the Bible be literally true. All faith requires is that followers believe the spiritual truth.

::)

Jesus treated the story of Noah as literal and real, so why shouldn't I?

Because it didn't happen.  Jesus was teaching THEOLOGY not SCIENCE.  The Bible Stories provided a common foundation for His teachings.

Offline Lord Undies

« Reply #69 on: February 11, 2008, 08:00:32 PM »
I get a chuckle out of the deniers who claim this or that did not happen because there is no evidence.  It's funny because, if God can create the earth, and then create a flood to destroy life on earth, why is it such a stretch to believe God couldn't arrange for the flood not to leave a mark on His earth?  God created physics.  He is not bound by physics. 

Offline Chris_

« Reply #70 on: February 11, 2008, 08:24:48 PM »
I get a chuckle out of the deniers who claim this or that did not happen because there is no evidence.  It's funny because, if God can create the earth, and then create a flood to destroy life on earth, why is it such a stretch to believe God couldn't arrange for the flood not to leave a mark on His earth?  God created physics.  He is not bound by physics. 
Well, you start to lurch into things such as miracles.  Yes, God can do anything He wants.  But why would He flood the Earth and then remove all traces.  Why would He provide a clear and consistent evidence record to the contrary of what 'actually" occurred?  Is He messing with our heads?

God provided an astounding and consistent and definable Universe bound by standard rules.  He gave humans the ability to discern and use those rules.  To be a trickster isn't in His nature.

Offline Lord Undies

« Reply #71 on: February 11, 2008, 08:39:45 PM »
Well, you start to lurch into things such as miracles.  Yes, God can do anything He wants.  But why would He flood the Earth and then remove all traces.  Why would He provide a clear and consistent evidence record to the contrary of what 'actually" occurred?  Is He messing with our heads?

God provided an astounding and consistent and definable Universe bound by standard rules.  He gave humans the ability to discern and use those rules.  To be a trickster isn't in His nature.

If all you say here is relevant, then there would never have been miracles. 

I don't pretend to second guess God, but I have to wonder why He would leave the earth ravaged by the flood?  God obviously had expectations for the earth to continue.  It was a fresh start for mankind and animalkind.  What sort of chance would any of them had if they were started on a barren earth? 

It was only two weeks between the rain stopping and the Dove bringing back the olive leaf.  I'd say the earth was protected by God's Will. 

Offline Wretched Excess

• Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happy Hour
« Reply #72 on: February 11, 2008, 10:10:58 PM »

for what it's worth, more or less the same thing sometimes happens with similar subjects at FR . . . . depending on who is signed on that night.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #73 on: February 11, 2008, 10:43:23 PM »
If conclusive evidence were available, faith would not be necessary.  God requires our faith.

So now you're trying to explain the nature of God?  Good luck with that.

Offline Lord Undies

« Reply #74 on: February 11, 2008, 10:52:49 PM »

If conclusive evidence were available, faith would not be necessary.  God requires our faith.

Yes, I know that, but speaking in the strict confines of the Great Flood, why would anyone be looking for evidence it happened?  God plainly spoke His plan to Noah, and it did not include a scorched earth. 

To believe God would leave a physics footprint behind, one has to believe the earth was practically uninhabitable after the Great Flood.  That is not what God promised Noah. 

The deniers put God in a box which cannot possibly exist.  I laugh and laugh at their limits.