Author Topic: Confederate flags banned in Brazil--Jimmy Carter saddened  (Read 2136 times)

Offline Delmar

Confederate flags banned in Brazil--Jimmy Carter saddened
« on: August 20, 2017, 04:03:31 PM »
Sun Aug 20, 2017, 03:18 PM
OBenario4 (132 posts)

Black movements demand banning the use of Confederate flags in Brazil

Confederate Party held in the city of Santa Bárbara d'Oeste, Brazil.

"Old times that are not forgotten". The sentence is stamped on the website of the Fraternity of American Descendents, an association responsible for organizing the "Festa dos Confederados" (Confederate Party), in the Brazilian city of Santa Bárbara d'Oeste. The event that celebrates the immigration of Southern Americans to Brazil, after the Confederate States were defeated in the American Civil War, became subject of controversy after the recent happenings in Charlottesville, a city of 45,000 inhabitants in Virginia, USA.

Charlottesville hosted a white supremacists rally that resulted in confrontation, deaths and injuries. The conflict started after members of the American racist far-right gathered to protest against plans of removing a statue built in honor of Robert E. Lee (1807-1870), general of the Confederate Army during the American Civil War, who was unsuccessful in his attempts to defeat the Northern States and to to keep slavery system alive.

In Santa Bárbara d'Oeste and in the neighboring city of Americana, both founded and colonized by Southern Americans in the 19th century, Confederate symbols are still alive. Though the Brazilian cities do not have statues celebrating Robert E. Lee, the general from Virginia gives his name to an Avenue in Santa Bárbara. In Americana, an old obelisk with the names of the first Confederate families to arrive in the city is still decorated with Confederate flag patterns. And the Confederate flag, which became a symbol of the pro-slavery states, is vastly used in the decoration of the annually-celebrated Confederate Party. "It is possible to pay homages without using these symbols that have a very negative connotation. They are symbols of the perpetuation of racism and supremacy. They are offensive to us", said Antônio Carlos Vianna de Barros, president of the black movement "Associação Beneficente Cultural Carolina Maria de Jesus".

Barros asked the Fraternity of American Descendents to no longer use the Confederate flags during the events. "What we have told them is that the Confederate flags have to be banned. You can not say that you respect Jews and host parties decorated with swastikas, for example." João Leopoldo Padoveze, president of the Fraternity, disagrees: "The flag is not a racist symbol. It was misappropriated by extremist groups. For us, descendents, it means heritage, family, rebuilding".

Translated from Portuguese:
http://liberal.com.br/cidades/s-barbara/festa-dos-confederados-de-sb-volta-a-ser-alvo-de-polemicas-644350/

Obelisk with the confederate flag, in the city of Americana, Brazil.
https://www.democraticunderground.com/110856795

Elsewhere on the internet I found a photo of Democrat Jimmuh Carter visiting the confederate flag obelisk down Brazil way.

It doesn't look to me like he's trying to topple or deface it in any way, so I guess that makes him a nazi/klansman/white supremacist/literal Hitler.
"I sat down, and I said, 'America's back' and Mitterrand from Germany — I mean from France — looked at me and said … "Well, how long are you back for?"
Crooked Joe Biden

Offline Fourwinds

Re: Confederate flags banned in Brazil--Jimmy Carter saddened
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2017, 05:15:00 PM »
This has gotten beyond retarded. Thank God I carry. I have one tattooed on me. The first person who tries to do something about it will be the last.

Offline Old n Grumpy

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2017, 06:36:52 PM »
Itt looks like the steam has gone out of the Russian nothing burger and the libs have a new shiny object to distract them. In their eyes it is better than the Russians because it is RAAAACCCISSTT! :mental: :thatsright:

And they are worried about Brazil, another south American paradise where crime and poverty are running rampant.
Life is tough and it’s even tougher when you’re stupid

Basking in the glow of my white Privilege, while I water the Begonias with liberal tears!

I will give up my guns when the liberals give up their illegal aliens

We need a Bull Shit tax to make the Democrats go broke!

Offline dixierose

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2017, 07:07:46 AM »
This has gotten beyond retarded. Thank God I carry. I have one tattooed on me. The first person who tries to do something about it will be the last.

I do too (sort of). My nickname Dixierose comes from my tattoo of a rose with a confederate flag design in the petals.

It's very similar to this...except mine doesn't have the text.

When Harry Truman was President of the United States, he had a sign on his desk in the White House that said: "The buck stops here." If Barack Obama had a sign on his desk, it would say: "The buck stops with Bush." - Thomas Sowell