Author Topic: Primitive brags about looting Indian artifacts  (Read 3722 times)

Offline Delmar

Primitive brags about looting Indian artifacts
« on: August 20, 2017, 11:21:06 AM »
Sun Aug 20, 2017, 11:22 AM
Comatose Sphagetti (283 posts)

Gotta rant...

Found a beautiful flint projectile point yesterday. My reference books tell me it's +/- 9,000 years old.
So I excitedly post it on FB. My cousin comes back and says it is no more than 6,000 years old (because Jesus).
I once gave a talk on flint points to boy scouts, holding up a 10,000 year old point for show. The parents in the back room objected to my interpretation of the age (because Jesus).
I'm tired of this shit! I wanna tell them all to **** off! They're wrong! But telling them they're wrong would brand ME as a heretic!
What to do?
https://www.democraticunderground.com/10029492256

So you "found" it, huh?  Sort of like Christopher Columbus "discovered" America?  Tearing down statues, culturally appropriating Indian artifacts, defiling history.  Sad.

Fortunately, it's A BS bouncy that never happened.
"I sat down, and I said, 'America's back' and Mitterrand from Germany — I mean from France — looked at me and said … "Well, how long are you back for?"
Crooked Joe Biden

Offline SVPete

Re: Primitive brags about looting Indian artifacts
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2017, 11:37:37 AM »
It's shocking that someone would dare disagree with you, Unconscious & Flaccid but I have the perfect come-back for you: "I guess we disagree on that point." The chances of anything significant coming of it are pretty minimal, unless you've been molling a Fundamentalist church or something like that. And if the Boy Scout troop never invites you back, well, why were you hanging out with those horrible homophobes anyway?!
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline USA4ME

• Evil Capitalist
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2017, 11:47:53 AM »
Isn't part of being even marginally intelligent to "know your audience"? For instance, whenever I speak to liberals I don't confuse them by using long words, like "yardstick".

Because third world peasant labor is a good thing.

Offline Old n Grumpy

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2017, 12:25:10 PM »
Isn't part of being even marginally intelligent to "know your audience"? For instance, whenever I speak to liberals I don't confuse them by using long words, like "yardstick".

Forget yardstick, some are confused as to what is is.
Life is tough and it’s even tougher when you’re stupid

Basking in the glow of my white Privilege, while I water the Begonias with liberal tears!

I will give up my guns when the liberals give up their illegal aliens

We need a Bull Shit tax to make the Democrats go broke!

Offline Tess Anderson

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2017, 06:14:01 PM »
Oh, this guy again.

Response to Judi Lynn (Original post)Sat Feb 11, 2017, 09:15 PM
Comatose Sphagetti (284 posts)
2. Love archaeology!!!

Found three arrowheads today. Wish I could post them!!!

just another old drunk ungrateful moonbat:

https://www.democraticunderground.com/10028707082

also a convicted felon - says it was for *a* DUI with no injuries. ::) They should strip voting rights there.

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2017, 07:15:57 PM »
IIRC it's completely legal to keep surface field finds of arrowheads, spearpoints, axe/club heads, and stuff of that sort.  If they catch you digging for them without any other explanation of why you put the hole where you did, your ass may be going to jail...Fed jail. 
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2017, 07:19:39 PM »
IIRC it's completely legal to keep surface field finds of arrowheads, spearpoints, axe/club heads, and stuff of that sort.  If they catch you digging for them without any other explanation of why you put the hole where you did, your ass may be going to jail...Fed jail.

Does that apply to private property or just federal lands?

Offline FlaGator

• Another Pilgrim
  • Democracy can survive anything except Democrats
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2017, 08:16:17 PM »
The whole thing is a lie. There really aren't that many Young Earthers in the Church. Most church people that I know don't really care if the Earth is 6,000 years old and 4.5 billion years old. It doesn't affect one's salvation so it is irrelevant to the Great Commission.
"My enemy's enemy is the enemy I kill last."
Klingon Proverb.

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2017, 09:10:09 PM »
Does that apply to private property or just federal lands?

State law plays a role too, but NAGPRA theoretically applies only to Federal land...however trafficking in human remains or a vaguely-identified artifacts that are 'Culturally significant' can cause problems, especially if they end up in the hands of a collection that receives Federal funds (Which probably include most educational institutions and many, many museums).  ARPA isn't about Indians but archaeological sites as a whole, the thing with it is whether the site is listed and therefore protected or not, it protects sites rather than artifacts as such.  State law is all over the place, ranging from 'Who cares' to 'OMG, you did WHAT?!?'

Offline Movie buff- The Sequel

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2017, 06:13:16 AM »
The whole thing is a lie. There really aren't that many Young Earthers in the Church. Most church people that I know don't really care if the Earth is 6,000 years old and 4.5 billion years old. It doesn't affect one's salvation so it is irrelevant to the Great Commission.
Yeah, that was one of the first issues I had with this (Other than obviously the moral issue of him stealing Indian artifacts, not to mention him then bragging about in on the DUmp and Facebook), most Christians don't view it as that big of an issue.
However old the Earth is, it doesn't affect the fact that Jesus is God's Son and died to save our souls.
Also, as SVPete pointed out, DUmmies, like all ultra- liberals, hate the Boy Scouts because they don't allow gay scoutmasters (Incidentally, the reason for this isn't icky bigotry like the Left would have us believe; It was in fact done in response to the fact that, prior to the ban on openly gay scoutmasters, the Boy Scouts were hit with a whole barrage of child- molestation scandals) and they include "Reverent" as one of their core values.
Bouncy, bouncy.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2017, 06:15:45 AM by Movie buff- The Sequel »

Offline BadCat

• I H8 Liberals
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2017, 07:24:38 AM »
it is no more than 6,000 years old (because Jesus).

Uhm...Jesus walked the earth about 2000 years ago, why are you blaming him?
Help keep America beautiful...deface a liberal.

The Democrat and Republican parties are simply the left and right wings of the same bird of prey.

The road to freedom is paved with dead liberals.

21fadb4221652b86382c8f73526880b7

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2017, 08:01:38 AM »
Uhm...Jesus walked the earth about 2000 years ago, why are you blaming him?

It's a reference to a certain strain of Creationist thought that gained a following in Victorian times, when a scholar calculated all the begats and concluded the age of the Earth was in that ballpark.

Offline SVPete

« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2017, 08:15:44 AM »
It's a reference to a certain strain of Creationist thought that gained a following in Victorian times, when a scholar calculated all the begats and concluded the age of the Earth was in that ballpark.

It was a bit earlier than Victorian times.

It's almost refreshing to see on DU a stereotype-based anti-Christian snark that actually has some basis in reality.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline Drafe Hoblin

« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2017, 10:41:00 AM »
Based on whatever it is you find, you gotta tell the State or Tribal Commission.  Especially if you came from another State and 'found' it.

We know that's usually unrealistic though, since 'finders keepers' is a universal law.

On the other hand, nobody likes spoilsports who physically seize spoils from you without compensation.  They didn't find it.  You did.  Legally, you were their agent.

But it's good manners to check with the Tribe when artifacts are concerned.  Research the area for whatever Tribe.  That's what we learned in the Cub Scouts, anyway.  Know the tribes who once owned the lands you live on.

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2017, 12:01:26 PM »
Based on whatever it is you find, you gotta tell the State or Tribal Commission.  Especially if you came from another State and 'found' it.

We know that's usually unrealistic though, since 'finders keepers' is a universal law.

On the other hand, nobody likes spoilsports who physically seize spoils from you without compensation.  They didn't find it.  You did.  Legally, you were their agent.

But it's good manners to check with the Tribe when artifacts are concerned.  Research the area for whatever Tribe.  That's what we learned in the Cub Scouts, anyway.  Know the tribes who once owned the lands you live on.

Don't think that the DUmmies will follow them, because it's common sense to do something like that. :whistling:
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2017, 02:14:42 PM »
It was a bit earlier than Victorian times.

It's almost refreshing to see on DU a stereotype-based anti-Christian snark that actually has some basis in reality.

Oh, I know Popes in antiquity bought into it and had their own calculation, of course that was all before the age of the scientific method and paleontology.  It was also irrelevant one way or the other prior to that time, it was during Victorian times that it became an important thing, as a doctrinal battle against the emergent Darwinism and studies of geological time.