Author Topic: Ban the Open Carry of Firearms  (Read 2957 times)

Offline dutch508

• Remember
Ban the Open Carry of Firearms
« on: August 19, 2017, 02:48:48 AM »

In the pro-gun section of DU, btw...

Star Member SecularMotion (7,917 posts) https://www.democraticunderground.com/1172204561

When militia members and white supremacists descended on Charlottesville, Va., last Saturday with Nazi flags and racist placards, many of them also carried firearms openly, including semiautomatic weapons. They came to intimidate and terrify protesters and the police. If you read reports of the physical attacks they abetted, apparently their plan worked.

They might try to rationalize their conduct as protected by the First and Second Amendments, but let’s not be fooled. Those who came to Charlottesville openly carrying firearms were neither conveying a nonviolent political message, nor engaged in self-defense nor protecting hearth and home.

Plain and simple, public terror is not protected under the Constitution. That has been the case throughout history. And now is the time to look to that history and prohibit open carry, before the next Charlottesville.

Historically, lawmakers have deemed open carry a threat to public safety. Under English common law, a group of armed protesters constituted a riot, and some American colonies prohibited public carry specifically because it caused public terror. During Reconstruction, the military governments overseeing much of the South responded to racially motivated terror (including the murder of dozens of freedmen and Republicans at the 1866 Louisiana Constitutional Convention) by prohibiting public carry either generally or at political gatherings and polling places. Later, in 1886, a Supreme Court decision, Presser v. Illinois, upheld a law forbidding groups of men to “parade with arms in cities and towns unless authorized.” For states, such a law was “necessary to the public peace, safety and good order.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/17/opinion/open-carry-charlottesville.html

::)

Star Member bullimiami (8,911 posts)
2. Ban them all.

Star Member ileus (15,146 posts)
11. Technically OC should discourage harassment and intimidation.

:thatsright:
The torch of moral clarity since 12/18/07

2016 DOTY: 06 Omaha Steve - Is dying for ****'s face! How could you not vote for him, you heartless bastards!?!

Offline Mr Mannn

Re: Ban the Open Carry of Firearms
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2017, 04:59:55 AM »
Violent Liberal hates it when his targets can defend themselves.

political violence is why liberals want the law abiding disarmed. You can't terrify voters when they outgun you.

Offline docstew

• My Wife is awesome!
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2017, 05:23:23 AM »
Violent Liberal hates it when his targets can defend themselves.

political violence is why liberals want the law abiding disarmed. You can't terrify voters when they outgun you.

Hmmmm, how many people in Charlottesville were carrying firearms?

How many shootings were there?

I don't think the gun owners were the violent ones, or the body count would have been higher...

Offline 67 Rover

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2017, 07:02:32 AM »
Star Member SecularMotion (7,917 posts) https://www.democraticunderground.com/1172204561

When militia members and white supremacists descended on Charlottesville, Va., last Saturday with Nazi flags and racist placards, many of them also carried firearms openly, including semiautomatic weapons. They came to intimidate and terrify protesters and the police. If you read reports of the physical attacks they abetted, apparently their plan worked.

They might try to rationalize their conduct as protected by the First and Second Amendments, but let’s not be fooled. Those who came to Charlottesville openly carrying firearms were neither conveying a nonviolent political message, nor engaged in self-defense nor protecting hearth and home.

Another Constitutional scholar from the same school that OBummer attended I would bet.  ::)

NRA Benefactor member
G.O.A. Life member
G.O.A.L. Life member
Certified Law Enforcement Sig Armorer

Offline SVPete

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2017, 08:04:51 AM »
Hmmmm, how many people in Charlottesville were carrying firearms?

How many shootings were there?

I don't think the gun owners were the violent ones, or the body count would have been higher...

1.) The number I've read - in a piece by the militia group's leader - is 32.

2.) Since when did facts matter to Progs?

3.) One non-Antifoid counter-protester credited the open-carriers with doing more to try to prevent violence than did the state police.

4.) Since when did facts matter to Progs?

5.) The VA state police have contradicted Gov. McAwful's claim that the state police limited their actions because open-carriers were better armed than were the state police.

6.) Since when did facts matter to Progs?

7.) The VA state police have contradicted Gov. McAwful's claim that the state police found caches of weapons all over Charlottesville.

8.) Since when did facts matter to Progs?
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline ADsOutburst

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2017, 08:43:23 AM »
3.) One non-Antifoid counter-protester credited the open-carriers with doing more to try to prevent violence than did the state police.
Wow, I had not heard that. Is there a link?

Offline SVPete

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2017, 09:08:50 AM »
Wow, I had not heard that. Is there a link?

Unfortunately, I did not save the url, so I'm duck-Duck-Going it.

This Guardian (UK) piece is surprisingly balanced, but it is from the militia people's side of things. It's well worth reading, since it gives the militia leaders' views on white supremacy (they're agin it).

ETA: This is even better, with many quotes from the militia leaders.

ETA: You have to wade through a lot of blah-blah, but this bears on my point #5.

ETA: This ProPublica article has this unsourced statement:

The police did little to stop the bloodshed. Several times, a group of assault-rifle-toting militia members from New York State, wearing body armor and desert camo, played a more active role in breaking up fights.

The statement may be from the observations of the writer(s) of the article, two of whom were in Charlottesville. That article appears to have been the source underlying my point #3. While the liberal bias in the ProPublica article is clear, the comment that the militia people were more effective than were the police is not attributed to a counter-protester. Looking over that article, it's clear to me that I conflated that comment, quoted in a blog post, with another a more general comment by a counter-protester also quoted in that blog post. So my point #3 is incorrect in attributing the claim to a "non-Antifoid counter-protester".

If I find more I'll add it to this post.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2017, 10:17:08 AM by SVPete »
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline diesel driver

• Creepy Ass Cracker and Smart-Ass White Boy!
  • Enhancing My Carbon Footprint!
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2017, 10:49:51 AM »
Another Constitutional scholar from the same school that OBummer attended I would bet.  ::)

More likely a other "Constitution scholar" from the same school Odumbass TAUGHT at...
Murphy's 3rd Law:  "You can't make anything 'idiot DUmmie proof'.  The world will just create a better idiot DUmmie."

Liberals are like Slinkys.  Basically useless, but they do bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs...

Global warming supporters believe that a few hundred million tons of CO2 has more control over our climate than a million mile in diameter, unshielded thermo-nuclear fusion reactor at the middle of the solar system.

"A dead enemy is a peaceful enemy.  Blessed be the peacemakers". - U.S. Marine Corp

You can't fix stupid, but you can vote it out of office.

Offline Old n Grumpy

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2017, 04:31:58 PM »
They need to ban going to a rally / protest with your face covered. And if you have your face covered and are wearing body armor and carrying a club, pepper spray etc you should be charged with a felony. Then prosecuted and taken out and shot. and mongrels can piss on your bones.
Life is tough and it’s even tougher when you’re stupid

Basking in the glow of my white Privilege, while I water the Begonias with liberal tears!

I will give up my guns when the liberals give up their illegal aliens

We need a Bull Shit tax to make the Democrats go broke!

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2017, 08:11:15 PM »
They need to ban going to a rally / protest with your face covered. And if you have your face covered and are wearing body armor and carrying a club, pepper spray etc you should be charged with a felony. Then prosecuted and taken out and shot. and mongrels can piss on your bones.

Look up 'The methods of Vlad Tepes,' of something along those lines. :-)

He was not someone to be messed with.
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline docstew

• My Wife is awesome!
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2017, 08:12:37 PM »

I thought a lot of states already had that law in effect, aimed at outing members of the Klan. Too bad laws, like facts, don't matter to Progs.