Author Topic: Good wines for tough times  (Read 3010 times)

Offline Chris

• Administrator
Good wines for tough times
« on: August 15, 2008, 09:16:53 PM »
Does that box take up too much space on your kitchen counter?  Need something to go with those corndogs and fish sticks?  Does your significant other prefer Dixie cups to wine glasses?  You're in luck!  Here are five wines under $10

2007 White Truck Chardonnay This unoaked white from California's Santa Barbara wine region was the popular favorite in the informal blind tasting. The wine, produced by Cline's Red Truck Winery, had a floral nose and was enlivened with a spritz of lime. The flavor managed to balance citrusy tang with lush melon notes and an appealingly sweet finish. Pair with barbecued shrimp, grilled salmon, pasta salad. $9.99 (Rating: Good)

2007 Torres Sangre de Toro Blanco This wine was made in Penedes, a region in northeastern Spain from the parellada grape; Torres is famed for its work with this variety. The wine had a lovely citrusy spritz and plenty of green apple tartness. A creamy finish provides balance. Pair with chicken Caesar salad, soy-glazed chicken wings, tuna salad sandwiches. $7.99 (Rating: Good)

2007 Chateau Ste. Michelle Pinot Gris A white from Washington's Columbia Valley, this wine almost tied with the Torres. Fairly spritzy with an oily, grapey nose, the wine had a pearlike tartness balanced by a sweet finish. Serve with fried chicken, empanadas, grilled chicken kebabs. $9.99 (Rating: Good)

2007 Francis Ford Coppola Presents Pinot Grigio Bianco Not one of the famed filmmaker's better releases. A simple--some tasters would say too simple--white wine without much acidity or zip. Serve with cucumber salad, pesto pasta. $8.99 (Rating: Good)

2006 Ajello Majus Bianco A golden blend of grillo and catarratto grapes, this Sicilian white smelled buttery but tasted rather bland and oily. Serve with white pizza, grilled hot dogs. $9.99 (Rating: Fair)

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/features/food/sns-fddrink1-wk3,0,6718198.story
This post is disruptive, hurtful, rude, insensitive, over-the-top, or otherwise inappropriate.

Offline Tantal

• Right Wing Hardliner
Re: Good wines for tough times
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2008, 12:29:07 AM »
Mrs. Tantal and I have taken a liking to Llano Estacado Blush. It's a Texas wine that can sometimes be found for $4.99/bottle. I don't even like wine, but I like this stuff.
Never demand that which you are incapable of taking by force, DUmmie.

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2008, 07:12:57 AM »
What???  No "Two-Buck Chuck" from Trader Joe's?
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline claret1995

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2008, 05:32:53 PM »
Hey All

the screen name is there for a purpose. if interested ask

The latest and to my taste the greatest is Root 1 from Argentina from$9.00 to 11.00 per bottle  This is pre-phylloxera root  stock from some of the greatest french vineyards. if you can find a bottle and grill some steaks..........

enjoy

Offline Atomic Lib Smasher

• Liberal Hunter
  • Just Say Nobama
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2008, 05:36:02 PM »
Me and the wife had some Sutter Homes Zinfindel with some nice steak the other night. Wasn't too bad. Only 4.99 a bottle and it had a nice crisp taste to it.

Liberalism is the philosophy of the stupid! - Mark R. Levin

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2008, 05:38:05 PM »
Me and the wife had some Sutter Homes Zinfindel with some nice steak the other night. Wasn't too bad. Only 4.99 a bottle and it had a nice crisp taste to it.

Sutter Homes is the new Boone's Farm.  :-)

I had a bottle of a red Shiraz.  It was good.
This post is disruptive, hurtful, rude, insensitive, over-the-top, or otherwise inappropriate.

Offline Atomic Lib Smasher

• Liberal Hunter
  • Just Say Nobama
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2008, 05:39:01 PM »

Sutter Homes is the new Boone's Farm.  :-)

I had a bottle of a red Shiraz.  It was good.

Hey, a couple of bottles of Boones is good when ya wanna get drunk quick for cheap. LOL

Liberalism is the philosophy of the stupid! - Mark R. Levin

Offline RobJohnson

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2008, 12:56:31 AM »
I had a glass of a nice Cream Sherry with dessert tonight, bought it a local winery, $15 for a 375 ml bottle...high in both sugar and alcohol. (17.5% alc)

Aged for years, this Creme Sherry has a smooth, delicate buttered-walnut taste. Wonderful as an after-dinner wine or perfect on top of vanila ice cream or on your favorite cheesecake. Many or our friends even use it in cooking. Enjoy!
http://www.pahrumpwinery.com/wines/sherry_2.htm

The Desert Blush was also really good....

Blush wines are very popular because they are fairly neutral and can be used for sipping as well as with meals. Desert Blush is delicious with a variety of foods and produced at a semi-sweet level. An excellent choice for the gift-giver who never knows what to send to the person who has everything! 

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2008, 03:10:35 PM »

Too friggin oakey.  :p

Look for a red called "Omega". I found it at Grocery Outlet. It ran about 4.99 and wad a pretty decent "BBQ Wine".
They also have a Gallo of Sonoma cab at 5.99 thats pretty good too. I think both were 2004-5 vintage.
They also have Andretti merlot, and cabernet, 5.99 and 4.99 respectively. Haven't tried either but Mario (yup, that one) is supposed to make some decent wine.
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2008, 06:27:54 PM »
2007 Chateau Ste. Michelle Pinot Gris A white from Washington's Columbia Valley, this wine almost tied with the Torres. Fairly spritzy with an oily, grapey nose, the wine had a pearlike tartness balanced by a sweet finish. Serve with fried chicken, empanadas, grilled chicken kebabs. $9.99 (Rating: Good)

^I like their wines. It's pretty inexpensive and always in my grocery store.
I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline SaintLouieWoman

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2008, 11:21:52 AM »

Inflation has hit. I think it's "Three-Buck Chuck" now.  :-)