Author Topic: Buffalo Wings  (Read 2276 times)

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
Buffalo Wings
« on: January 21, 2008, 08:15:54 AM »
Is it just me, or do most places that do them SUCK at it?

Memo to bars/restaurants--if the wings are breaded, don't use them.  Frozen I get, but breaded means SOGGY.

Next, make them crispy on the outside.  This ensures 1--they're done, 2--they actually hold sauce better.

Finally, what booger-eating mouth-breather came up with the idea of putting them with RANCH?  Heresy!

And as far as the "perfect" wing sauce, the Anchor Bar is still the standard.  Order it online if you have to.

Failing that, I've found that Texas Pete's Hot Sauce and margarine (or butter) in a 50/50 or 60/40 ratio is a simple yet good recipe.

Anyone else got any favorite sauces?
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline Flame

Re: Buffalo Wings
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2008, 08:32:31 AM »
I agree...wings must be crispy, or they are nasty!

I'm not overly picky on sauce, but I like it hot!!

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2008, 05:22:31 PM »
Is it just me, or do most places that do them SUCK at it?Failing that, I've found that Texas Pete's Hot Sauce and margarine (or butter) in a 50/50 or 60/40 ratio is a simple yet good recipe.

That's what I use.  I add a tablespoon of lemon juice and Worchestershire sauce to it. 

There is a Chinese restaurant down the street from me.  They marinate their wings in soy sauce before frying them.  They turn out so nice.  :drool:
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2008, 10:42:14 AM »
I had a fave place in Costa Mesa that used to use (mostly) dry rubs for their buffalo wings, but they also had a total of 30 different styles of wings.

They also had potato chips made from three different types of potatoes with several dips.  Those were AWESOME.

One of the (few) reasons I miss California.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford