Author Topic: Foxconn Says It Plans to Build Factory in Wisconsin, Adding 3,000 Jobs  (Read 2239 times)

Offline FiddyBeowulf

• "Its on, its off, its on, its off." "That is called blinking, boys."
https://upload.democraticunderground.com/10141830540

Zorro (7,433 posts)

Foxconn Says It Plans to Build Factory in Wisconsin, Adding 3,000 Jobs

Source: New York Times

Foxconn, the Taiwanese electronics supplier for Apple and other tech giants, said Wednesday it would open its first major American factory in Wisconsin, a boost both for the battleground state’s economy and the Trump administration’s efforts to bolster domestic manufacturing.

White House officials noted President Trump’s direct negotiations with Foxconn for the project, which they said would create at least 3,000 jobs and represent a $10 billion investment.

Mr. Trump joined Foxconn’s chairman, Terry Gou, at the White House for an announcement on Wednesday, with two Wisconsin Republicans, Gov. Scott Walker and Paul D. Ryan, the House speaker, in attendance.
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/26/business/foxconn-factory-wisconsin-jobs.html

Sounds like a good thing, manufacturing jobs being added to a factory and surrounding infrastructure that will need to be built. Meaning, jobs, jobs and more jobs. No one could object to that, right? Except for DUmmies.

AJT (863 posts)
3. It's being built in Ryan's district.

Randy Bryce doesn't have a prayer. This sucks.

Yeah, screw the new jobs, it could stop Randy from beating Ryan.   :thatsright: Randy never had a chance but please do continue to contribute to his campaign anyway...just $10 dollars ought to do it.

cstanleytech (14,724 posts)
4. This going to be one of those plants where all the parts come in pretty much assembled and

they slap in a circuit board or something in it, put a cover over it and then label it as made in the USA?
Even if true, so? Again, this is going to employ thousands of people not including all the other jobs created to support the factory and the workers. This economic activity will create revenue for the state.

Cicada (993 posts)
5. 3 billion tax break, one million per job

Maybe Wisconsin could just hire people to improve ports, roads, bridges, communication, job training sites and boost the economy that way. For 75000 per year for ten years. I bet that would help Wisconsin more than a Foxconn plant. Those investments would improve profits for many firms, maybe creating as many jobs as Foxconn. Maybe more.
It over 15 years. Plus, you are going by the 3000 number in the OP. Walker believes "Foxconn’s investment could indirectly result in an additional 22,000 new jobs, with its planned 20-million-square-foot complex occupying a footprint three times the size of the Pentagon."

Dopers_Greed (1,145 posts)
9. The devil's in the details

I'm sure they won't be well paying, or a million other things.

But as long as Chump and Ryan get their PR win, right?
These will be better paying, full time jobs. Average is said to be $54K a year and benefits. Something seldom seen over the last 8 years.

cp (148 posts)
11. $3 billion Wisconsin taxpayer subsidies for 3,000 jobs

Excuse me?
Again the 3000 number is wrong, see above.

DUmmies just love to shit on success. This is a win-win for the state of WI and its taxpayers and because this was not some gov't boondoggle like a rail line they feel the need to hate on it.

Even the WI state Dems like the deal. So much so they are trying to take some of the credit.
The following is the statement of Democratic Party of Wisconsin Chair Martha Laning with regards to today's highly anticipated Foxxconn announcement:

"I welcome new business and jobs to Wisconsin. After six years of seeing job creation promises go unfulfilled and watching major corporations shut down factories or move jobs elsewhere (-BS WI unemployment rate is 3.1), it's great to see Democrats like Sen. Tammy Baldwin and Rep. Mark Pocan encouraging new economic activity in the southeastern Wisconsin.
http://www.wisdems.org/news/statement-on-foxconn-announcement

Fire...BAD!!! - John Fetterman

The policies that are indorsed by this party, that they backer of which are much of the 1 percent, causes a social structure much like the one back before the Revolution.

-Words of wisdom from Lady Freedom Returns

"Arguing with liberals...it's like playing chess with a pigeon; no matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon is just going to knock over the pieces, crap on the board and strut around like it's victorious." -- Anonymous

"A hat should be taken off when you greet a lady and left off for the rest of your life. Nothing looks more stupid than a hat." - P. J. O'Rourke

Offline SVPete

DU-folks' sour-graping is hilarious! It's 3000 well-paying jobs that Obama lacked the imagination - or desire, IMO - to bring to the US! It's 5X-10X more jobs supporting that facility and serving its workers. It might be just the start of even more work being done there, in an expanded facility.

Maybe if Obama gave a @#$% about working people ... maybe if Obama weren't petulantly bent on punishing WI voters for not ousting Scott Walker and daring to reelect him Governor ... maybe if Obama had a little understanding and a LOT less contempt for business he could have done this.

The WI D Party trying to claim a slice of the credit for this is humorous. :bouncy: Me too! :bouncy: Me too! :bouncy: Where were Tammy Baldwin and Mark Pocan during the 8 years of Obama? Why weren't they screaming for Obama to do deals like this?!
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline YupItsMe

Dummies don't nor ever will understand tax breaks.   The government isn't spending $3 billion dollars to get these jobs.   It's just agreeing not to steal $3 billion dollars from this corporation for a couple years. 

Offline DLR Pyro

Dopers_Greed (1,145 posts)
9. The devil's in the details

I'm sure they won't be well paying,

I can guarantee you this DUmmy.  Whatever the job pays, it will be 100% more than an unemployed worker is currently making.
Biden is an illegitimate President.  Change my mind.

Police lives matter.

Basking in the glow of my white privilege

ProudDad Donating Member (1000+ posts) Wed Mar-09-11 08:50 PM
64.I'd almost be willing to get a job in order to participate in
A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE
  https://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=102x4763020

Online Old n Grumpy

Leave it to the dummies to find a reason to bitch about anything good. they are complaining about 3 billion in tax breaks and didn't say one word about obama pissing away 8 TRILLION dollars and not creating 1 job. How well is solyndra doing today?
ESAD dummies. :thatsright: :thatsright: :thatsright:
Life is tough and it’s even tougher when you’re stupid

Basking in the glow of my white Privilege, while I water the Begonias with liberal tears!

I will give up my guns when the liberals give up their illegal aliens

We need a Bull Shit tax to make the Democrats go broke!

Offline BannedFromDU

• Gyro Member
  • Nothing personal.
Leave it to the dummies to find a reason to bitch about anything good. they are complaining about 3 billion in tax breaks and didn't say one word about obama pissing away 8 TRILLION dollars and not creating 1 job. How well is solyndra doing today?
ESAD dummies. :thatsright: :thatsright: :thatsright:

They don't care about anything they claim to care about. During the Bush years DU did nothing but crow about buying American. Now they scoff at it. No wonder the middle class doesn't trust them.
NJCher (31,658 posts)

5. IMO

a certain percentage of DU is depressed and has other mental issues.

Online Old n Grumpy

They will be crappy jobs, They will make you work 8 hours a day, 5 days a week. And sometimes there will be overtime.  That is cruel and dehumanizing. :rant: :rant:

This is just another example of the greedy rich fat cats squeezing the blood out of the working man. :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
Life is tough and it’s even tougher when you’re stupid

Basking in the glow of my white Privilege, while I water the Begonias with liberal tears!

I will give up my guns when the liberals give up their illegal aliens

We need a Bull Shit tax to make the Democrats go broke!

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline FiddyBeowulf

The policies that are indorsed by this party, that they backer of which are much of the 1 percent, causes a social structure much like the one back before the Revolution.

"Arguing with liberals...it's like playing chess with a pigeon; no matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon is just going to knock over the pieces, crap on the board and strut around like it's victorious." -- Anonymous

"A hat should be taken off when you greet a lady and left off for the rest of your life. Nothing looks more stupid than a hat." - P. J. O'Rourke

Offline FiddyBeowulf

Just to twist the knife a little more:
In Dan O'Donnell's new parody of "You're Welcome" from Disney's "Moana," Governor Walker brags about landing the Foxconn plant (and about all of his other big accomplishments in office). Listen to it here!
http://newstalk1130.iheart.com/featured/common-sense-central/content/2017-07-27-scott-walker-sings-youre-welcome/?j=1117792&l=4078_HTML&mid=1071611

Okay, okay. I see what’s happening here.
You’re face to face with success and it’s strange.
You don’t even know what to say, it’s adorable.
Well it’s nice to see Democrats never change.
Open your eyes, let’s begin.
Yes it’s really them, it’s Foxconn, breathe it in.
I know it’s a lot, my win, it burns,
‘Cause you know I clinched a third term.

What can I say except you’re welcome?
For thirteen thousand jobs
Hey it’s okay, okay you’re welcome.
For new investment coming in gobs.
Hey, what has two thumbs and got the big prize,
10 billion for WI? This guy!
When the chips were down, who won the plant from Ohio?
You’re looking at him, yo!
Oh, also I beat the unions, you’re welcome
And saved Wisconsin’s reserve funds.
Also, I slashed our jobless rate, you’re welcome
And got you all sweet tax rebates.