Author Topic: Agents warn of new drug hitting the U.S. - extreme Ecstasy  (Read 5040 times)

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
Agents warn of new drug hitting the U.S. - extreme Ecstasy
« on: January 04, 2008, 11:27:13 AM »
Federal agents are targeting a turbo-charged form of Ecstasy that is gaining in popularity, fearing it will lead to fatal overdoses similar to ones experienced a few years ago caused by heroin mixed with fentanyl.

Michigan and nine other states along Canada's border would see the first wave of any such overdoses, and officials are warning that the so-called "extreme Ecstasy," which is mixed with methamphetamines, is becoming a problem.

"They (drug dealers) are remarketing and packaging it and trying to glamorize it," said Scott Burns, deputy director of the White House Office of National Drug Control Policy. "We just went through this issue with fentanyl. We learned a lot of things from that. We have to get on it early and get on it aggressively."

Advertisement

Lax views toward drug use in Canada, coupled with successes scored by U.S. agents against European Ecstasy producers and smugglers, have fueled the problem, Burns said.

Federal agents seized about 5.4 million dosage units of Ecstasy in the 10 states near the Canadian border in 2006, up dramatically from the 568,000 units seized in 2003, according to statistics from Burns' office.

About 55 percent of the units had methamphetamines in them, Burns said.

Royal Canadian Mounted Police officials do not dispute that their country has seen an increase in Ecstasy production or smuggling. They said 5.2 million units smuggled in from Canada were seized in the United States in 2004, up from 1.1 million in 2004, according to data collected with the U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration, RCMP officials said.

RCMP officials could not say how much of what was seized had methamphetamines.

"Prior to the past few years, we were seeing drugs brought into Canada," said RCMP Corporal Cathy McCrory. "We have taken the unsavory title of exporter of this drug."

Richard Isaacson, special DEA agent and public information officer for the Detroit field division, said it is too early to call extreme Ecstasy a problem in Michigan. But he said there is no denying that Ecstasy is coming into the country in droves through Canada.

"This is one of the major routes Ecstasy is making its way into the U.S.," he said, noting the Detroit office handles Michigan, Ohio and Kentucky. "It needs to be understood that Ecstasy on its own is a dangerous, potentially fatal drug. People have died from ecstasy. Mixing it with another hallucinogen you are going to exacerbate the damage."

Burns said federal drug officials now will warn medical facilities, drug treatment sites and others to get the word out.

"This is a public health issue," Burns said.

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080104/METRO/801040374

Blame Canada!!!!  :evillaugh:

I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline Flame

Re: Agents warn of new drug hitting the U.S. - extreme Ecstasy
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2008, 11:30:21 AM »
but all drugs should be legal, donchaknow? :confused:

Offline RightCoast

• Semper Fi means more than most will ever know
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2008, 04:42:32 PM »
but all drugs should be legal, donchaknow? :confused:

Great a libertarian found us

:-)
nine eleven is a car
nine one one is an emergency service
September 11, 2001 was an attack
Never Forget, or Minimize.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2008, 08:49:09 PM »
Maybe if we pass a few more laws or spend a few more billion dollars chasing ghosts, locking up people for 20 years on drug charges... maybe it will all magically go away.

Personally, I would have rather taken the billions wasted on the "war on drugs" and spent it on cancer research.   I don't give two craps about some dead beat drug user.  No one puts that crap in your body, you do.  Cancer on the other hand takes the lives of thousands of innocent people every year.

I think our priorities are just a tad screwed up.
Agreed.  The WOD is a war against personal choice and is responsible for 80+% of all crime.  Jeeze, damn near wave a magic wand a eliminate 80% of all crime, who would want to do that?  I can tell you who would NOT want to do that.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Rebel

• Stick a fork in us. We're done.
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2008, 08:49:22 PM »
I'm with you, FA. I think the War on Drugs is as winnable as the War on Poverty. You're no more going to stop people from doing drugs than you are going to stop people from being leeches.
NAMBLA is a left-wing organization.

There's a reason why patriotism is considered a conservative value. Watch a Tea Party rally and you'll see people proudly raising the American flag and showing pride in U.S. heroes such as Thomas Jefferson. Watch an OWS rally and you'll see people burning the American flag while showing pride in communist heroes such as Che Guevera. --Bob, from some news site