Author Topic: Why Old-Timey Jobs Are Hot Again  (Read 12413 times)

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
Why Old-Timey Jobs Are Hot Again
« on: June 06, 2017, 02:14:11 PM »
Yes, Drudge had this.  I think that it's rather interesting.

Why Old-Timey Jobs Are Hot Again

Millennials are driving a resurgence of age-old crafts, choosing to become bartenders, butchers and barbers in part as a reaction to the digital age

By Lauren Weber

June 6, 2017 9:00 a.m. ET

69 COMMENTS   

Gentrification isn’t just taking place in working-class neighborhoods. It’s happening to jobs, too.

Walk around parts of Brooklyn, Portland or Pittsburgh, and you’ll find stylish cocktail bars, barbers and the occasional butcher shop staffed by young, college-educated employees. For an affluent segment of today’s urban economy, these jobs have been revalued from low-status semi-manual labor to glamorous occupations, says sociologist Richard Ocejo.

In his new book “Masters of Craft: Old Jobs in the New Urban Economy,” Mr. Ocejo examines the forces driving a resurgence of occupations such as butcher and bartender among young middle-class urbanites. A similar dynamic is at work with a handful of other jobs, including craft brewer, bookbinder, furniture maker and fishmonger.

The Labor Department projects that between 2014 and 2024 the number of bartenders and barbers in the U.S. will grow 10%, while butchers will see a 5% increase, compared with a 7% job growth for all occupations over the same period. Median pay for these jobs was less than $30,000 a year in 2016.

Millennials are drawn to these occupations, in part, as a reaction to “the ephemerality of the digital age,” says Mr. Ocejo, a sociology professor at John Jay College of Criminal Justice and the City University of New York Graduate Center.

Distinct from many of today’s most vaunted jobs in fields like information technology and financial services, these trades “are based in using your hands, with actual tools and materials, to provide a tangible concrete product,” he says.

Interesting--and pretty much in line with what Mike Rowe has said for a while.

The rest of this is here:  https://www.wsj.com/articles/why-old-timey-jobs-are-hot-again-1496754001

"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline Old n Grumpy

Re: Why Old-Timey Jobs Are Hot Again
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2017, 06:05:07 PM »
While it is good to see people wanting to work with their hands and to acquire manual skills, it will only be a matter of time till an illegal shows up willing to do the job for half price. :mad: :mad: :mad:

What we really need is for young people to learn to be plumbers, electricians, machinists etc. these are skills that never grow old.
Life is tough and it’s even tougher when you’re stupid

Basking in the glow of my white Privilege, while I water the Begonias with liberal tears!

I will give up my guns when the liberals give up their illegal aliens

We need a Bull Shit tax to make the Democrats go broke!

Offline thundley4

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2017, 07:15:48 PM »
While it is good to see people wanting to work with their hands and to acquire manual skills, it will only be a matter of time till an illegal shows up willing to do the job for half price. :mad: :mad: :mad:

What we really need is for young people to learn to be plumbers, electricians, machinists etc. these are skills that never grow old.

Those are more the skills that Mike Rowe has been pushing for. He takes a lot of flack from liberals when he talks about not everyone needs or should have a college degree.

Offline catsmtrods

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2017, 04:10:36 AM »

Finding HVAC techs in my area is fruitless!
"Liberalism is an essentially feminine, submissive world view. Perhaps a better adjective than feminine is infantile. It is the world view of men who do not have the moral toughness, the spiritual strength to stand up and do single combat with life, who cannot adjust to the reality that the world is not a huge, pink-and-blue, padded nursery in which the lions lie down with the lambs and everyone lives happily ever after."

~ Dr. William Pierce

"How many more times are we going to cower under tables and chairs, whimpering like mindless dogs, thinking that someone else has the responsibility to save and protect us?"