Author Topic: Memorial Day  (Read 1557 times)

Offline thundley4

Memorial Day
« on: May 29, 2017, 12:18:16 PM »
I went fishing this morning at a small state conservation area about 1/2 hours drive from home.

They have a Veteran's Memorial in this small park.  While I was fishing near the memorial, I could hear a family out walking the trails with a couple of small kids.

I heard one of the kids ask: "What's POWMIA?' He said it as one word.

The dad only said it had something to do with the military.  I could hear the mom explain a little more. About it representing those that haven't returned to their families from serving their country.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
Re: Memorial Day
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2017, 06:43:59 PM »
Well, with roughly 1.3 million in uniform (2014 numbers) and 321 million "citizens" (2015 numbers), that's about 0.4 percent who are serving today.

Compare that to 1945 when we had 12 million in uniform with 140 million citizens which is about 8.5 percent.

Little wonder that Little Johnny's parents are f'n clueless.
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline Maverick1987

• M o l o n L a b e
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2017, 08:51:35 PM »
My frustration today has been the "Happy Memorial Day!" and "Thank you for your service" type sentiments on social media and even a few radio spots. While usually well intentioned, they completely miss the mark on what this day is about...and I don't feel like being "that guy" for correcting them
Deplorable since 2016

Offline dutch508

• Remember
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2017, 09:50:35 PM »
Memorial Day is always a hard time for me. It just brings back memories which are sometimes good and often times bad. Some of them are not even related to my time in the Army, but are the cause and effect of serving almost 30 years in uniform. People always want to know two things: Was it worth it and what was it like.
Those questions are very difficult to answer. In all ways I am who I am because of those years. I am quiet and withdrawn, very much a loner. I rarely smile. I find it hard to trust other people. I fight depression. I don't like being in large crowds or loud noises. yet with all that, I am one of the fortunate veterans without many health issues, either physically or mentally. I gave it everything I had and in the end it took everything from me. I can't honestly tell you I would do it all again... but I probably would... even knowing the price.
As for what it was like... It was both the greatest thing and the absolute worse thing that could ever happen to you. I find I can't explain it... you really have to experience it.
I good friend of mine wrote book about his experiences in Iraq and wrote a little bit about me. He sent it to me to read and asked if I was ok with what he wrote. It was spot on. In it I come off pretty crazy. Really- looking back on the time there I really was. You had to be just to get by. I think he understood that in the end.
And that is what it was like.
The torch of moral clarity since 12/18/07

2016 DOTY: 06 Omaha Steve - Is dying for ****'s face! How could you not vote for him, you heartless bastards!?!