Author Topic: Gregg Allman of The Allman Brothers Band dies at age 69  (Read 2179 times)

Offline thundley4

Gregg Allman of The Allman Brothers Band dies at age 69
« on: May 27, 2017, 02:59:52 PM »
SAVANNAH, GA.
Music legend Gregg Allman, whose bluesy vocals and soulful touch on the Hammond B-3 organ helped propel the Allman Brothers Band to superstardom and spawn Southern rock, died Saturday, a publicist said. He was 69.

Allman died Saturday at his home in Savannah, Georgia, publicist Ken Weinstein said.

Allman had cancelled some 2016 tour dates, announcing on Aug. 5 that he was "under his doctor's care at the Mayo Clinic" due to "serious health issues." Later that year, he canceled more dates citing a throat injury. And in March 2017, he canceled performances for the rest of the year.

Born in Nashville, Tennessee, the rock star known for his long blond hair was raised in Florida by a single mother after his father was shot to death. Allman idolized his older brother, Duane, eventually joining a series of bands with him. Together they formed the nucleus of The Allman Brothers Band.

The original band featured extended jams, tight guitar harmonies by Duane Allman and Dickey Betts, rhythms from a pair of drummers and the smoky blues inflected voice of Gregg Allman. Songs such as "Whipping Post," ''Ramblin' Man" and "Midnight Rider," helped define what came to be known as Southern rock and opened the doors for such stars as Lynyrd Skynyrd and the Marshall Tucker Band.
http://www.charlotteobserver.com/latest-news/article153058154.html

Offline Adam Wood

Re: Gregg Allman of The Allman Brothers Band dies at age 69
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2017, 04:16:50 AM »
Going to have to play Jessica REALLY LOUD this morning.

Offline dixierose

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2017, 11:02:01 AM »
His home was actually in Richmond Hill...just a few miles from my house. We are only 20 miles or so south of Savannah, so I guess the story said Savannah because it's the closest city. He was seen around town pretty regular over the years (he's lived here for at least 10 years). My sister has a picture with him at the local football field, where he went to see a friend's kid play football. One of my co-workers at Great Dane was neighbors with his housekeeper. He was kind enough to get me back stage passes when Gregg played in the Savannah Civic Center. I will say, Gregg seemed stoned out of his mind when he came out of the dressing room after the concert. To this day, it is one of the best concerts I've been to. Midnight Rider and Sweet Melissa are two of my favorite songs. Whipping Post is up there too.

Neat story. My dentist was a good friend of his, and he used to show me pictures of the two of them fishing. His kid was the one Gregg was watching play football the day my sister got a picture with him.

People around here pretty much left him alone, and respected his space. He would actually show up at the local Kroger from time to time.

I knew he's been sick for a while. He cancelled several concerts this year.

God Speed, Gregg Allmann. Your and Duane's music helped define a generation.
When Harry Truman was President of the United States, he had a sign on his desk in the White House that said: "The buck stops here." If Barack Obama had a sign on his desk, it would say: "The buck stops with Bush." - Thomas Sowell

Offline Ralph Wiggum

• It's unpossible that I'm a
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2017, 11:21:20 AM »
Grew up listening to music of that era.  Have had their greatest hits CD since college, always skips on "Rambling Man".

Rest in peace, Gregg.
Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Offline Maverick1987

• M o l o n L a b e
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2017, 09:16:25 PM »
For me, the worst part of getting older is hearing news like this, which seems all too frequent.

RIP Mr. Allman
Deplorable since 2016

Offline Adam Wood

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2017, 01:06:45 AM »
For me, the worst part of getting older is hearing news like this, which seems all too frequent.

RIP Mr. Allman
Amen to that.  I have to imagine that this is how my parents felt when folks like Glenn Miller died.