Author Topic: Age And Unemployment Benefits  (Read 11431 times)

Offline mrclose

Age And Unemployment Benefits
« on: May 24, 2017, 02:13:38 AM »
I have a friend who is losing her employment because her company is going out of business, here in Virginia.
A major grocery chain that she has worked at for over twenty-five years.

My friend is in her 70's and will probably find it impossible to find employment .. due to her age after her store closes.
(The 'unspoken', "Too old" problem that a lot of senior citizens encounter)

My friend would like to collect unemployment but at the same time prepare to move into retirement.

Most states require that you actively seek employment when collecting benefits 'If' you are able bodied and are willing to take a job.
At 77 years of age my friend just doesn't have the energy to go through the job market anymore.

My question: Should my friend forget about applying for unemployment benefits or to put it another way ... would they turn her down anyway for not being "able bodied" due to age?

She is not looking for a handout, just help for the short term as she adjusts to never working again after all these years.
(In other words, she is going to take a really big hit on her financial situation)

I can't find any information on UE benefits and age on the Virginia sites!

Thanks 

"When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead.
It is difficult only for the others.

It is the same when you are stupid."

~ Anonymous

Offline Old n Grumpy

Re: Age And Unemployment Benefits
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2017, 08:14:48 AM »
If she is willing to work, I don't think they can turn her down because of age. That would be discrimination. there is no age limit as far as I know to stop you from working. If she has paid into it she should try to get some of it back.
Life is tough and it’s even tougher when you’re stupid

Basking in the glow of my white Privilege, while I water the Begonias with liberal tears!

I will give up my guns when the liberals give up their illegal aliens

We need a Bull Shit tax to make the Democrats go broke!

Offline Linda

• American by birth. Southern by the grace of God.
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2017, 09:15:24 AM »
I don't know about the state she loves in, but in Florida you can apply for jobs on line and that counts towards your job search.
A liberal who is mugged by reality becomes conservative.

Offline J P Sousa

• We Built Our Business - IN SPITE OF GOVERNMENT
  • I love the smell of gun powder in the morning
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2017, 11:42:17 AM »

From a Lawyers  :whatever: web site;
  if you live in Illinois, Louisiana, South Dakota, Utah or Virginia, you would be subject to a reduction in your Unemployment Compensation Benefits by a percentage of what you receive from Social Security.   

In Pennsylvania you do need to "look" for work and provide proof.
John Wayne: "America Why I Love Her"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5ZGz7h0epU

Get Over It! We Are Not All Created Equal ~Capt Katie Petronio

Obama Wiretapped The Trump Tower...FACT

The reason there are so many stupid people is because it's illegal to kill them.
~John Wayne

Online Rick

• Crazy old man
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2017, 07:50:11 PM »
Another option is to take some classes. She needs retraining. I did it, here in California, took two classes, welding and algebra,
and received my full unemployment benefits for 4 months

Offline mrclose

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2017, 01:01:56 AM »
Thank You Everyone for the replies.

Just to let you know .. my lady friend is heart-broken to be leaving a company that she has worked for since the day her husband passed over 25 years ago.

She is a good and kind lady that deserves a break in life.
"When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead.
It is difficult only for the others.

It is the same when you are stupid."

~ Anonymous

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2017, 08:48:57 AM »
If she is willing to work, I don't think they can turn her down because of age. That would be discrimination. there is no age limit as far as I know to stop you from working. If she has paid into it she should try to get some of it back.

Actually, the age discrimination laws (at least at the federal level) only protect workers between 45-70 years of age.

Even then, it's pretty much unspoken/unwritten that once you hit 50 (as I am) you're pretty much stuck wherever you are until you retire, and God help you if you lose your job.

I've had many contacts hit me up on LinkedIn asking me if I want to work for so-and-so company, but when they find out I'm over 50, I invariably get the, "Gee, thanks for that information, we'll be in touch," comment, never to hear from them again.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford