Author Topic: HELP ME -- I have lost my bachelor skills (cob corn)  (Read 1693 times)

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
HELP ME -- I have lost my bachelor skills (cob corn)
« on: August 13, 2008, 12:26:01 AM »
Fresh corn on the cob ears in shucks.

I know boiling is the easiest, but I have grill available.

This should be sweet corn (side note -- the sweetest corn I ever had I got from a roadside stand on Maui) -- so your suggestions? 

If I have to boil it, should I shuck or not and for how long?

I swear I used to know this stuff...
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Flame

Re: HELP ME -- I have lost my bachelor skills (cob corn)
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2008, 10:16:24 AM »
This is how I do corn:

shuck it and clean off all the silkies.  Get a good sized piece of foil, big enough to securely wrap the ear totally.  Lay the ear on the corn, add a good hunk or 2 of butter, sprinkle with salt and pepper, give a squeeze of lime juice if you want, then wrap it up and put it on the grill.  Turn it occasionally during cooking time.  Usually takes about 10-15 minutes on the grill.

Unwrap, and it's ready to eat!

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2008, 10:17:50 AM »
I dunno.

I just dump it in water.

But instead of using margarine, I use real butter or sour cream or cream cheese.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2008, 10:25:00 AM »
I like to prepare my corn on the grill or in the microwave. On the grill, peel back the husks and remove the silk. Soak in water for 10-15 mins prior to grilling. Throw on the grill for approx 15 mins., turning about halfway through. (I'm not exactly sure of the time, so keep an eye on them) The husks will get burnt, but not the corn.

In the microwave, shuck and de-silk the corn, apply liberal amounts of butter, salt and pepper. Wrap in wax paper, fold over the ends. Wrap again in saran wrap and seal it up as best you can. Microwave each ear individually for 3-5 mins. (Depends on the power of your microwave)
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline debk

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2008, 11:19:03 AM »
I've done the microwave the way Thor does and it's delicious. Same on the grill.

When I do it for a crowd....I have an outdoor turkey fryer. It's great to boil water for a whole bunch of ears. I keep a saucepan of melted butter and a pastry brush on the side of the grill for people to butter their corn. Never near the turkey fryer because of the flame. We use it out on the driveway, away from the grill or anything else that can catch fire. Once it's done....we move the pot over near the grill....the water's hot enough to keep the corn hot.

When I do it in water, I add a couple of tablespoons of sugar.

Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.