Author Topic: Study: Online Dating Causes People To Lower Their Standards  (Read 3702 times)

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
Study: Online Dating Causes People To Lower Their Standards
« on: February 28, 2017, 08:32:04 AM »
Really?  Who knew? :whistling:

Study: Online Dating Causes People To Lower Their Standards

28Feb - by Kate Ferguson -  4 - In Beauty Studies Men Studies Relationship Studies Women Studies

BRISBANE — Dating apps are an extremely popular way to socialize and pick up others these days, but recent research suggests they might actually lead people to lower their standards as well.

According to researchers at the Queensland University of Technology in Australia, singles tend to have a clear idea as to what’s on their dating wish lists, but are actually more likely to go out with people they met online who don’t actually meet those requirements.

Behavioral economists Stephen Whyte and Professor Benno Torgler were behind the research published as “Preference vs Choice in Online Dating” in the journal Cyberpsychology, Behaviour and Social Networking. They watched the behavior of nearly 42,000 people between the ages of 18 and 80 who were using an Australian dating site called “RSVP” from Jan. 2016 through April 2016. About 78 percent of the participants were men.

Whyte explained the intentions of the study.

“We looked at whether or not people actually contact people who match what they say is their ideal partner in their profile, and our findings show they don’t,” he says in a university release. “Stating a preference for what you are looking for appears to have little to no bearing on the characteristics of people you actually contact.”

I . . . am not going to say a thing, except that I met my wife the old-fashioned way, through actually meeting her face-to-face (on a bus) . . . :whistling:

The rest of this is here:  https://www.studyfinds.org/study-dating-apps-online-love/
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline FlaGator

• Another Pilgrim
  • Democracy can survive anything except Democrats
Re: Study: Online Dating Causes People To Lower Their Standards
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2017, 11:34:44 AM »
Hanging out late in bars has the same result.
"My enemy's enemy is the enemy I kill last."
Klingon Proverb.

Offline BlueStateSaint

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2017, 12:45:17 PM »

Yeah, but 'swiping left' or 'swiping right' might knock someone's drink over.  That could cause a fight . . . :hammer:

:tongue:
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2017, 12:59:24 PM »

Hey, wait a minute. I met my wife in a bar. She was a waitress, but we've been together for over 30 years .

Offline freedumb2003b

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2017, 07:04:16 PM »
Hey, wait a minute. I met my wife in a bar. She was a waitress, but we've been together for over 30 years .

Sounds like it could be the opining lyric to an 80's song...
Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an ax

Hello to the Baizuo lurkers from DU, DI, JPR and Huffpo

DUmmies can no more understand the "Cave" than a rat can understand a thunderbolt, but they fear it just the same. Fear the "Cave", DUmmies. Fear it well. Big Dog 12-Jan-2015

Proud charter member of the Death Squad Hate Force! https://conservativecave.com/home/index.php?topic=112331.msg1386168#msg1386168

Ted Kennedy is the only person with an actual confirmed kill in the war on women.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2017, 07:48:51 PM »
Sounds like it could be the opining lyric to an 80's song...

Opining, or opening? Either could work, I guess.

Offline freedumb2003b

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2017, 07:56:44 PM »
Opining, or opening? Either could work, I guess.

It passed spell check and maid it.

DUmmies can no more understand the "Cave" than a rat can understand a thunderbolt, but they fear it just the same. Fear the "Cave", DUmmies. Fear it well. Big Dog 12-Jan-2015

Proud charter member of the Death Squad Hate Force! https://conservativecave.com/home/index.php?topic=112331.msg1386168#msg1386168

Ted Kennedy is the only person with an actual confirmed kill in the war on women.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2017, 08:30:33 PM »
It passed spell check and maid it.

I have some Chrome extension that also cheques grammer as weal as spealing.

It underlined "Cheques, grammer weal and spealing.

Offline freedumb2003b

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2017, 09:33:26 PM »
I have some Chrome extension that also cheques grammer as weal as spealing.

It underlined "Cheques, grammer weal and spealing.

I always worry Chrome extensions will suck both my mind and precious bodily fluids and send them to the Mothership.

Offline FlaGator

• Another Pilgrim
  • Democracy can survive anything except Democrats
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2017, 09:41:52 PM »
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPudE8nDog0[/youtube]
"My enemy's enemy is the enemy I kill last."
Klingon Proverb.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2017, 09:57:01 PM »
I always worry Chrome extensions will suck both my mind and precious bodily fluids and send them to the Mothership.

Google does that whether you use it or not.

Offline BlueStateSaint

« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2017, 07:19:44 AM »
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPudE8nDog0[/youtube]

Earworm time . . . :hammer: :whistling:

I actually don't mind the song.

Chase her.