Author Topic: seeking advice from professional movie watchers  (Read 1847 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
seeking advice from professional movie watchers
« on: February 15, 2017, 05:11:47 PM »
I got a, uh, unexpected check in the mail today, and as I don't have any immediate needs, I'd like to get some more DVDs.

As most here know, because I'm deaf--born that way--movies (along with much else, including of course television) have never been any part of my life, until a heart attack floored me and friends got together to make up some method of enabling me to "hear" youtube on the computer.

Okay, so suddenly I got "into" movies.

The deal however is that I have to watch one eight or ten times before I finally "get" it, which is time-consuming, so I have to be selective about what I'm going to watch.  Thus far I've had really good luck.

I was familiar with the 1962 film Lawrence of Arabia before, but after I got the DVD of it and watched it a few times, I picked up on things heretofore invisible to me.  Ditto with the punch-lines in Gilbert & Sullivan's comic operas The Mikado and HMS Pinafore.  Every time I watch one, even if it's the sixth or seventh time by then, I'm always seeing and "hearing" things I hadn't before.

So.....while I'm still re-watching them to pick up what I'd missed on previous viewings, I've gone through the gamut of DVDs I own--which includes the aforementioned Lawrence, along with the 1970 classic Waterloo and the greatest movie ever made, 1989's La Revolution francaise.  And there's 1984's Amadeus and 1983's Peter the Great, 2002's six-hour long Napoleon, and the 1971 six-part BBC series Elizabeth R.

And the 1962 Gigot, starring Jackie Gleason.  It's a "heart-warmer," and hence not my favorite sort of thing, but I viewed it for sentimental reasons.

I'm now soliciting suggestions for a few other new movies where DVDs are available for purchase; I prefer the heroic epics (such as Waterloo or Peter the Great and somesuch).  Historical accuracy's important to me, personally, but I believe I'm familiar enough with history (of dead white men) that I can accurately see the fiction and non-fiction in a movie.

Any suggestions?  This is all a broad unexplored thing for me.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2017, 05:18:09 PM by franksolich »
apres moi, le deluge

Offline freedumb2003b

Re: seeking advice from professional movie watchers
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2017, 05:47:32 PM »
I got a, uh, unexpected check in the mail today, and as I don't have any immediate needs, I'd like to get some more DVDs.

As most here know, because I'm deaf--born that way--movies (along with much else, including of course television) have never been any part of my life, until a heart attack floored me and friends got together to make up some method of enabling me to "hear" youtube on the computer.

Okay, so suddenly I got "into" movies.

The deal however is that I have to watch one eight or ten times before I finally "get" it, which is time-consuming, so I have to be selective about what I'm going to watch.  Thus far I've had really good luck.

I was familiar with the 1962 film Lawrence of Arabia before, but after I got the DVD of it and watched it a few times, I picked up on things heretofore invisible to me.  Ditto with the punch-lines in Gilbert & Sullivan's comic operas The Mikado and HMS Pinafore.  Every time I watch one, even if it's the sixth or seventh time by then, I'm always seeing and "hearing" things I hadn't before.

So.....while I'm still re-watching them to pick up what I'd missed on previous viewings, I've gone through the gamut of DVDs I own--which includes the aforementioned Lawrence, along with the 1970 classic Waterloo and the greatest movie ever made, 1989's La Revolution francaise.  And there's 1984's Amadeus and 1983's Peter the Great, 2002's six-hour long Napoleon, and the 1971 six-part BBC series Elizabeth R.

And the 1962 Gigot, starring Jackie Gleason.  It's a "heart-warmer," and hence not my favorite sort of thing, but I viewed it for sentimental reasons.

I'm now soliciting suggestions for a few other new movies where DVDs are available for purchase; I prefer the heroic epics (such as Waterloo or Peter the Great and somesuch).  Historical accuracy's important to me, personally, but I believe I'm familiar enough with history (of dead white men) that I can accurately see the fiction and non-fiction in a movie.

Any suggestions?  This is all a broad unexplored thing for me.

Get the entire library of Akira Kurosawa movies.  The acting is superb yet relies little on the dialog, which is sparse.  See it in the original Japanese with English translations OF THE JAPANESE, not English subtitles of the English dubbing.  The differences are huge and we English speakers waste too many words saying what need to be said.

Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an ax

Hello to the Baizuo lurkers from DU, DI, JPR and Huffpo

DUmmies can no more understand the "Cave" than a rat can understand a thunderbolt, but they fear it just the same. Fear the "Cave", DUmmies. Fear it well. Big Dog 12-Jan-2015

Proud charter member of the Death Squad Hate Force! https://conservativecave.com/home/index.php?topic=112331.msg1386168#msg1386168

Ted Kennedy is the only person with an actual confirmed kill in the war on women.

Offline Wayne

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2017, 07:54:49 AM »
    PBS series on "Ruby ridge" Austin college shooting . You get the idea..  Just a suggestion to explore newer PBS films..

http://www.pbs.org/independentlens/films/

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2017, 08:06:28 AM »
    PBS series on "Ruby ridge" Austin college shooting . You get the idea..  Just a suggestion to explore newer PBS films..

http://www.pbs.org/independentlens/films/

I'll give a look-see at that on youtube, along with freedumb's suggestion above, this weekend.

When something's suggested, I check youtube first, to get an idea.  Since I have to "invest" so much time in "hearing" these things--playing them over and over and over again until I've gotten at least the most important parts--I'm sort of reluctant to go into unknown territory, for fear it might end up having been a waste.

Ideally, I prefer movies with at least some cavalry charges.  Just as with Lamond, the MrsCorpio primitive on Skins's island, I'm naturally biased towards my own people, and so as long as their "opponents" in the movies aren't Americans, I really enjoy watching redcoats trample over primitives in their noble attempts to bring decency and civility to the world.

That sort of thing.  And I keep on meaning to, but get sidetracked, check out the Robert the Bruce and Lionheart movies of recent vintage.
apres moi, le deluge