Author Topic: Need a suggestion for a new book...  (Read 2938 times)

Offline lars1701c

Need a suggestion for a new book...
« on: January 25, 2017, 03:46:03 PM »
Ok just got done the Jack Reacher novels and was wondering if anyone knows a good series along those lines?  Thanks :)
"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friend, is about the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it."
~~~ The late Dr. Adrian Rogers , 1931 to 2005

Offline DLR Pyro

Re: Need a suggestion for a new book...
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2017, 04:31:22 PM »
I like the John Corey series of books by Nelson Demille.  Start with Plum Island and go from there.
Biden is an illegitimate President.  Change my mind.

Police lives matter.

Basking in the glow of my white privilege

ProudDad Donating Member (1000+ posts) Wed Mar-09-11 08:50 PM
64.I'd almost be willing to get a job in order to participate in
A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE
  https://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=102x4763020

Offline lars1701c

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2017, 04:37:45 PM »
I like the John Corey series of books by Nelson Demille.  Start with Plum Island and go from there.

Thanks will check it out :)
"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friend, is about the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it."

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2017, 08:28:42 AM »

Thanks will check it out :)

"The Art Of The Deal" is never a bad choice . . . :whistling:
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2017, 10:46:03 AM »

Hard Choices is another one, but I can't remember the author's name.  :whistling:

Offline lars1701c

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2017, 03:03:59 PM »

When it comes to books/audio books i go strictly non political, i like a escape from reality :D but thanks for the suggestions 

Offline lars1701c

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2017, 03:04:52 PM »
I like the sci-fi/military type books, anyone read a good series from that genre?

Offline dixierose

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2017, 12:46:53 PM »
I like the sci-fi/military type books, anyone read a good series from that genre?

Brad Thor's books are pretty good.
When Harry Truman was President of the United States, he had a sign on his desk in the White House that said: "The buck stops here." If Barack Obama had a sign on his desk, it would say: "The buck stops with Bush." - Thomas Sowell

Offline nomad54

• Just Off Probation
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2017, 12:27:35 PM »

Now you're talking my language. 

Any of John Ringo's early work-Legacy of the Aldenata is good and the Last Centurion is excellent, although it is political.
Larry Correia's Monster Hunter series is a lot of fun.
John Scalzi's Old Man's War is decent.
Never forget the classics-Robert Heinlein's Starship Troopers, John Steakley's Armor, or Joe Haldeman's Forever War.
Some Kindle Unimited Authors that are pretty good in this genre are Jake Bible, B.V. Larson, Sara King, and while he is not super military, Andrew Hindle has a very good sci fi series out.

Offline lars1701c

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2017, 02:11:45 AM »
Now you're talking my language. 

Any of John Ringo's early work-Legacy of the Aldenata is good and the Last Centurion is excellent, although it is political.
Larry Correia's Monster Hunter series is a lot of fun.
John Scalzi's Old Man's War is decent.
Never forget the classics-Robert Heinlein's Starship Troopers, John Steakley's Armor, or Joe Haldeman's Forever War.
Some Kindle Unimited Authors that are pretty good in this genre are Jake Bible, B.V. Larson, Sara King, and while he is not super military, Andrew Hindle has a very good sci fi series out.

1. Love John Ringo's books :)
2. Will check out Larry Correia's books
3. I liked the first two books in that book line by John Scalzi's series
4. what kind of sci fi lover would i be if i hadn't read "Starship trooper? :D

Offline Wayne

« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2017, 02:39:06 PM »
   Harry Bosch by Michael Connelly..