Author Topic: Chinese train manufacturer wins US metro deal  (Read 2011 times)

Offline HAPPY2BME

• For The People And By The People
Chinese train manufacturer wins US metro deal
« on: January 21, 2017, 09:01:07 AM »
 A metro project evaluated at $270 million in the U.S. state of Massachusetts has been awarded to CRRC Corp., a conglomerate formed by the merger of China's top two high-speed rail makers, China North Railway (CNR) and China South Railway (CSR). A total of 134 trains will be purchased for the project, according to a Caixin report on Jan. 10.

An insider disclosed that the contract was signed between CRRC and the Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA) in December 2016. CRRC is the only qualified provider of metro trains to meet the MBTA's requirements. As a result, the MBTA decided not to solicit additional bids, the insider said, emphasizing that the decision was entirely legal.

China North Railway (CNR) won a contract worth $567 million for the Boston metro in October 2014, necessitating the purchase of 284 trains, according to earlier reports. This marked China's first batch of rail transit equipment to enter the U.S. market.

http://en.people.cn/n3/2017/0116/c90000-9167639.html

Offline freedumb2003b

Re: Chinese train manufacturer wins US metro deal
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2017, 11:04:36 AM »
I wonder if Trump will move in on this.

Hmm....
Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an ax

Hello to the Baizuo lurkers from DU, DI, JPR and Huffpo

DUmmies can no more understand the "Cave" than a rat can understand a thunderbolt, but they fear it just the same. Fear the "Cave", DUmmies. Fear it well. Big Dog 12-Jan-2015

Proud charter member of the Death Squad Hate Force! https://conservativecave.com/home/index.php?topic=112331.msg1386168#msg1386168

Ted Kennedy is the only person with an actual confirmed kill in the war on women.

Offline HAPPY2BME

• For The People And By The People
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2017, 12:21:02 PM »
I wonder if Trump will move in on this.

Hmm....

=========================

These type of transactions appear to be 'municipalities' making contracts with foreign governments using local city and state tax dollars for these contracts.

I don't see Federal dollars being spent here, but it certainly opens up opportunities for American companies to contest it, given the current theme.

Offline freedumb2003b

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2017, 02:09:18 PM »
=========================

These type of transactions appear to be 'municipalities' making contracts with foreign governments using local city and state tax dollars for these contracts.

I don't see Federal dollars being spent here, but it certainly opens up opportunities for American companies to contest it, given the current theme.

There are a RAFT of federal regulations dealing with how any business or municipality can interact with foreign countries.  For example if you download certain types of software, such as database managers, you have to promise not to share it with a long list of countries -- and I have seen China on that list a few times (can't remember the specific package).

I guess  I am saying not only are you probably right about challenging the award but the feds are involved in almost all B2B/M2B interactions with China, Russia, the ME, etc.
Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an ax

Hello to the Baizuo lurkers from DU, DI, JPR and Huffpo

DUmmies can no more understand the "Cave" than a rat can understand a thunderbolt, but they fear it just the same. Fear the "Cave", DUmmies. Fear it well. Big Dog 12-Jan-2015

Proud charter member of the Death Squad Hate Force! https://conservativecave.com/home/index.php?topic=112331.msg1386168#msg1386168

Ted Kennedy is the only person with an actual confirmed kill in the war on women.