Author Topic: Soon to be HUGH!!!! DU and the Atom Bomb at Hiroshima  (Read 6558 times)

Offline Uhhuh35

• Subtle Like A Nuclear Weapon
Re: Soon to be HUGH!!!! DU and the Atom Bomb at Hiroshima
« Reply #50 on: August 07, 2008, 05:42:22 PM »
Uhhuh, did you ever see "White Light, Black Rain"? A lot of the older people feel that the bombing was the fault of the Japanese because they started it. The older people who are suffering from all kinds of illnesses due to it are being treated like lepers over there. It's really pathetic when you think about it. One said it's as if the government just wants them to hurry up and die off. I understand they were our enemy, but their damn government shouldn't treat'em that way. Most of the ones suffering were just kids at the time of the bombing. Damn right we should have dropped'em, but the Japanese government needs to own up to it's responsibility to the citizens of those two cities.

Japanese society values youth and beauty while shunning age and ugliness. You don't see very many handicapped people in public, they're usually kept at home or at a home for them.
When I was first stationed in Japan, the people would see me, smile and flash the peace sign. I used to think, "These people are so polite. How did we ever go to war with them?" But after learning the language and culture my attitude about them changed, as it would if you became more familiar with any foreign culture I guess. While the Japanese are polite on the surface, they can treat each other like shit under their shoes and enjoy it, especially the older ones. Sometimes with big smiles on their faces, other times in ways that are so subtle, you won't even realize what happened until later.
You've probably seen the picture of the two Japanese diplomats handing over the Declaration of War to an American Diplomat just hours after Pearl Harbor? Well, in my opinion, not a lot has changed since then. Man they've been the same for what, 5000 years? They're not gonna' change anytime soon.
So now when a Japanese flashes the peace sign at me I can't help but think, "Yeah, we had to nuke you ****ers twice". I know that sounds terrible but, that's how how I see it now.
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
— Albert Einstein.

Offline RightCoast

• Semper Fi means more than most will ever know
Re: Soon to be HUGH!!!! DU and the Atom Bomb at Hiroshima
« Reply #51 on: August 07, 2008, 07:04:24 PM »
I am personally grateful to Harry Truman, Curtis LeMay, Paul Tibbetts (and the rest of the 509th Bomb Group). 

Without the dropping of that bomb, my grandfather - a newly trained paratrooper who had just been assigned to the 508th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne - would have very likely seen some of the earliest action in any invasion of the Japanese home Islands, and being as green as a spring blade of grass, it very likely would have been the last action he saw.  No Grandpa, no DefiantSix's momma.  No DefiantSix's momma, and DefiantSix would have never been here to grace the world with... well with his....

Aw shit, I just wouldn't have been here.

The man the baptised both my kids and performed my wedding ceremony was stationed on Okinawa about 6 months after the surrender.  He knows without a doubt that he probably would have died somewhere outside of Tokyo if those bombs had not been dropped.    That's good enough for me.  Right decision.
nine eleven is a car
nine one one is an emergency service
September 11, 2001 was an attack
Never Forget, or Minimize.