Author Topic: really hot under the collar  (Read 11168 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
really hot under the collar
« on: October 25, 2016, 03:18:48 AM »
I am pissed as all get-out.

Because every time I opened up Firefox, I had to go through an obstacle course of saying "yes" to this thing and that thing and this other thing. 

Some of it had to do with making Firefox my default browser--I kept saying "yes," but the little window popped up every time I opened Firefox.

Some of the rest of it had to do with setting up default programs for all file types and protocols--I kept saying apply the ones the computer thinks best, but every damned time I opened up Firefox, I got this again.

I wish I could show photobucket screen-shots, but at this time (3:15 a,m.) photobucket.com appears to be down, so I can't do that.

So.....I "uninstalled" anything having anything to do with Firefox (i.e., anything where the date was listed as 10/24/16) and am back to using Explorer 11 and Microsoft Edge, both of which appear compatible with every web-site.....excepting Skins's island.

Now what should I do?  Any suggestions?  How come Firefox ignored my instructions about defaults?

Damn.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
Re: really hot under the collar
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2016, 11:47:57 AM »
photobucket's up now.

The first thing that appeared whenever I opened Firefox (I "unchecked" the box that's checked in the illustration below):

I answered "use Firefox as my default browser," but this kept popping up every time I opened Firefox.

The second one:

You know I have no idea what this ^^^ means.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2016, 11:50:11 AM by franksolich »
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Wayne

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2016, 01:03:57 PM »
"CHROME"  I used FF for awhile . Just like chrome better************today.

Offline Duke Nukum

• Assistant Chair of the Committee on Neighborhood Services
  • O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2016, 04:45:23 PM »
Sorry for the deleted post, I didn't see that you had unchecked that box.

I did find this on a search for the Firefox problem:

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1078922

But I am not understanding if in your case the Firefox and choose program dialog boxes are related. Was everything working fine for a while  and then this just started happening?
“A man who has been through bitter experiences and travelled far enjoys even his sufferings after a time”
― Homer, The Odyssey

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2016, 05:08:16 PM »
But I am not understanding if in your case the Firefox and choose program dialog boxes are related. Was everything working fine for a while  and then this just started happening?

When I first completed downloading Firefox, both boxes came up, as they were supposed to.

But then every single time I shut down the computer, went away, came back later, turned the computer back on, opened Firefox, I'd get the same two boxes all over again.  Every time I opened Firefox.
apres moi, le deluge