Author Topic: The stock market is turning into a sloppy, ugly mess—and it could get worse  (Read 3116 times)

Offline Ptarmigan

• Bunny Slayer
  • God Hates Bunnies
The stock market is turning into a sloppy, ugly mess—and it could get worse
http://www.marketwatch.com/story/the-stock-market-is-turning-into-a-sloppy-ugly-mess-and-it-could-get-worse-2016-10-13

It is getting dicey out there for Wall Street investors, although stocks eked out a modest rise on Friday.

U.S. equities have been bouncing around lately. And the trend has been predominantly lower. Although it hasn’t been the sort of dizzying tumble for equities that would elicit an instant spike in fear, it has been, however, the kind of plodding descent that has the Dow Jones Industrial Average DJIA, +0.22%  down nearly 300 points since the end of July.

In fact, the Dow and the S&P 500 index SPX, +0.02%  are on the verge of tallying three straight months of declines, with October shaping up to be the ugliest monthly fall since January—the month after the Federal Reserve raised rates for the first time in a decade. (Friday’s jump on better bank earnings will have to be factored after the close.)

I think the stock market could see a crash this month and after.
Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
-Napoleon Bonaparte

Allow enemies their space to hate; they will destroy themselves in the process.
-Lisa Du

Offline Rick

• Crazy old man
Maybe after the elections, but I'm thinking more like after Trump is sworn in.

Offline DumbAss Tanker

Slightly overdue for a cyclic recession anyway.  Although the recovery was unusually lame and there is no telling whether that will mean the so-called recovery continues to stagger along indefinitely because it really signaled the arrival of a stable long-term growth rate and a damping of cycles, or it signals the recession will be colossal when it does hit due to the lame recovery signifying fundamental unresolved economic problems.  I'm sure you can find a ton of economists to sagely tell you either one.
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline Carl

• Global Moderator
Given Shillarys promised war on the US energy sector and her indebtedness to Saudi benefactors I really do expect oil/gasoline prices to skyrocket if she wins.
That effectively will slam the brakes on the non financial economy.