Author Topic: Oil Falls Below $120 on Signs Storm Won't Harm Platforms (lowest since May)  (Read 2015 times)

Offline Wretched Excess

• Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happy Hour

is it just me, or are the dems running out of things to whine about?

Oil Falls Below $120 on Signs Storm Won't Harm Gulf Facilities

Aug. 4 (Bloomberg) -- Crude oil fell below $120 a barrel for the first time since May amid speculation that Tropical Storm Edouard won't cause disruption to most offshore oil facilities as it approaches the coast of Texas.

Edouard, which may reach hurricane strength tomorrow, hasn't shut significant oil output in the U.S. Gulf of Mexico. The storm is on a course for Galveston, Texas, the biggest U.S. petroleum port, and may pass close to Exxon Mobil Corp.'s Baytown oil refinery as well as BP Plc's Texas City plant.

``A lot of the fear about something really affecting those rigs appears to have slackened,'' said Gene McGillian, an analyst at Tradition Energy in Stamford, Connecticut. ``The threat is that there's a large enough amount of rainfall that those refineries could be affected for a while.''

Crude oil for September delivery fell $5.34, or 4.3 percent, to $119.76 a barrel at 11:42 a.m. on the New York Mercantile Exchange. New York oil futures have slipped more than $28 a barrel from the record $147.27 on July 11 as U.S. gasoline demand slowed, and a stronger dollar reduced the attraction of commodities as an investment. Oil touched $119.50 a barrel, the lowest since May 6.

Edouard, with maximum wind speeds of 45 miles (75 kilometers) an hour, may strengthen as it moves west, parallel to the Louisiana coast, before reaching the Texas shore tomorrow, the Miami-based National Hurricane Center said. There is a 20 percent chance it will strengthen to a hurricane before striking land.

More

Offline Lord Undies

Ha!  My wife is suppose to go to Houston Wednesday.  She doesn't want to go.  Personally, I'd like to go. 

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Ha!  My wife is suppose to go to Houston Wednesday.  She doesn't want to go.  Personally, I'd like to go. 
It will be past by then

If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Rebel Yell

• Redneck with a Brain
  • One more month, and I can forget about Obama.
So, this trend would mean that we can make it for the next ten years til we can get the offshore oil pumped, right?
I feel that once a black fella has referred to white foks as "honky paleface devil white-trash cracker redneck Caspers," he's abdicated the right to get upset about the "N" word. But that's just me. -- Jim Goad

Offline Lord Undies

It will be past by then

That's not the point.  She doesn't want to go.  Maybe she will get lucky and the Reliant Center will blow away.