Author Topic: getting really tired of this  (Read 17734 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
getting really tired of this
« on: September 20, 2016, 06:46:10 AM »
This was posted elsewhere, although the question really belongs here.

I'm just really tired of this crap.

Now, I have a question, a damned serious question.

With their web-site being the way it is--along with some other conservative web-sites--how is it possible that Breitbart gets any traffic at all?

The above took me twenty minutes to copy-and-paste because I had to keep waiting for the Breitbart page to load.  I took the time only because I thought it important enough to taunt the supporters of Messalina Agrippina; otherwise, I would've just given up and gone somewhere else to read something else.

I don't understand this.  While Skins's island and Manny's jackass message-board come in instantly and easily, there's way too many places representing the other point of view whose sites are slow and clunky and awkward, so bad that after the first or second time, one just doesn't bother going there any more.

And if the problem's my browser, why should I download twenty or thirty different damn browers so as to get one that will work on a conservative site?  Why can't these conservative sites, like Skins's island and Manny's jackass message-board, make their sites compatible with all browsers?

Damn.  I can't tell how many times this happens.  For the longest time now, whenever I've seen a link to Breitbart or that place BlueStateSaint always goes to, or any link posted by our esteemed Ptarmigan, I just mutter to myself "**** it," and go on to something else. 

I'm sure I'm missing out on a lot, but why the Hell are such sites so difficult to get?

http://conservativecave.com/index.php?topic=109067.0
apres moi, le deluge

Offline ExGeeEye

• We don't need another
  • Spread the work ethic; the wealth will follow.
Re: getting really tired of this
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2016, 02:31:36 AM »
Maybe this will work for you; I use Pale Moon, but I think it goes well in Firefox as well.

I clicked the Breitbart link just above your first "getting tired of this post"  (on the other thread).  Saw that it was going to take for-copulating-ever to load, but also noticed that the body of the article seemed to be Present And Accounted For.

So, I went to the top of the browser where you might be seeing the circular-arrow "reload" button, and found (as expected) a red "X" in that location.

The Breitbart page stopped loading, and I was able to navigate the article just fine.  It contains a lot of pictures and maybe videos that didn't load because I interrupted them, but if I decided I care, I can right-click on the one that interests me and bring it through.

Giv'er a shot, see what you get.

Best wishes!  Out here.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2016, 02:34:50 AM by ExGeeEye »
My CCW permit was issued in 1791.

Charter Member: Vast Right-Wing Conspiracy
Associate Member: Basket of Deplorables
Charter Member: Listless Vessels

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2016, 08:57:28 AM »
Giv'er a shot, see what you get.

To check out your suggestion, I just tried that, on the Breitbart link I'd posted.

It works (I use Internet Explorer).  Not exactly smoothly, but it does work.  Thanks.

But I remain curious--how is it that Skins over there on Skins's island, Manny on Manny's jackass message board, miskie here on conservativecave, SarasotaRepub on conservativeunderground, Jim Robinson on freerepublic, &c., &c., &c. can build and operate web-sites that open immediately and cleanly no matter what brower's one's using, whereas sites with more resources--such as Breitbart or the one BlueStateSaint goes to, or all those Ptarmigan uses, and even the Drudge Report--are slow, clunky, and sometimes not accessible at all unless one does a bunch of "tricks" to make them workable?

Even the Drudge Report, which should be the gold standard for internet web-sites.

Their page loads okay and everything.....but if one wishes to clink on a link on it, one has to first "refresh" the page (so as to get the "hand" rather than the "arrow").  Every time. 

It's almost as if the bigger a site is, the less the owner(s) care about it being accessible.

But how are they going to get their message out, if too many people find it difficult to get there?

juno is a ****ing nightmare.  After 21 years of using it, I no longer do.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline miskie

• Mailman for the VRWC
  • Administrator
  • Make America Great Again. Deport some DUmmies.
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2016, 10:13:48 PM »
Its because Breitbart jams too much into their page between the advertisements and side columns. I have no problem with it, but only because of the obscene amount of internet Comcast gives me. If I were on a slower service, the load times would be unbearable. DU, CC, etc etc don't overdo it with adverts and other media jammed into the page, streamlining the process.

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2016, 10:18:58 PM »
Its because Breitbart jams too much into their page between the advertisements and side columns. I have no problem with it, but only because of the obscene amount of internet Comcast gives me. If I were on a slower service, the load times would be unbearable. DU, CC, etc etc don't overdo it with adverts and other media jammed into the page, streamlining the process.

Thanks for explaining it. 

But surely these bigger sites understand that by overloading, they cut out people who don't have the patience to sit and wait, and I'm sure I'm not the only one unwilling to wait.

Of course they want to put extra stuff into their site, especially if it's something that brings in revenue.  And I don't fault them for that.  However, there is ultimately a point of diminishing, and then negative, returns, in which marginal revenue doesn't make up for lost traffic.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline FunkyZero

• ha ha, charade you are
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2016, 08:46:11 AM »
Thanks for explaining it. 

But surely these bigger sites understand that by overloading, they cut out people who don't have the patience to sit and wait, and I'm sure I'm not the only one unwilling to wait.

Of course they want to put extra stuff into their site, especially if it's something that brings in revenue.  And I don't fault them for that.  However, there is ultimately a point of diminishing, and then negative, returns, in which marginal revenue doesn't make up for lost traffic.

It is really bad, Brietbart is absolutely infested with ads. I can navigate it pretty well now since I figured out Firefox with Adblock and element hider so I'll go there if I see something over the top interesting, but I avoid it when I can. But as the OP stated, it shouldn't be this way. I totally understand the need for ads, but when it gets so bad that it locks up browsers trying to run all the scripts, it's gone too far.

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2016, 08:46:57 AM »
Does this give any guidance here?

But my server's not CenturyLink; it's connectingpoint.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Ptarmigan

• Bunny Slayer
  • God Hates Bunnies
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2016, 10:43:20 PM »
Breitbart has way too many ads.
Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
-Napoleon Bonaparte

Allow enemies their space to hate; they will destroy themselves in the process.
-Lisa Du

Offline Maverick1987

• M o l o n L a b e
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2016, 10:39:52 PM »
Does this give any guidance here?

But my server's not CenturyLink; it's connectingpoint.

That's a pretty slow connection by today's standards.

Try Chrome or Firefox with Adblock installed for all web browsing. It'll take a little getting used to, but I promise you'll like the results.
Deplorable since 2016

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2016, 10:50:02 PM »
Well, what's funny about it is that it gives a grade of "F+" to the connection, but at the same time I'm eminently happy with it.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline It_Guy

• Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2017, 11:03:51 PM »
Well, what's funny about it is that it gives a grade of "F+" to the connection, but at the same time I'm eminently happy with it.

That's because you don't know any better.  Seriously.

When I got my first DSL broadband connection and the fact that it was always on as compared to ancient days of dial up, I was instantly gratified.

A friend of mine said he'd never pay $25/mth for broad band.  I told him that he didn't realize that he was growing old waiting for stuff download and once he tried broadband he'd never go back.

I watch 4K UHD content on an OLED set and two security cams doing streaming uploads.  25mbs is minimum, so I've got a 50mbs connection that periodically gives me 65mbs.  In today's world that's just decent.  My son has a 350mbs connection for which he pays $29/mth.  One would think that's more than plenty, but some people (gamers) have 1 gig connections.

Offline FunkyZero

• ha ha, charade you are
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2017, 07:14:31 AM »
This was posted elsewhere, although the question really belongs here.

I'm just really tired of this crap.

http://conservativecave.com/index.php?topic=109067.0

The Brietbart site has gotten notoriously bad in the past few years. I hear people complain about it all the time.
I don't notice it, but it is becasue I use this combination:  firefox+adblock+element hider+noscript+flashdisable (the last 4 being firefox addons)
I leave scripts disabled unless there is something on the page that doesn't load, then its a one-button click to enable/disable it.
I know it sounds like a lot, and it is atrocious, but websites have developed shameless behaviors with the screen hijacks and stuff. I don't have to deal with it anymore, I don't even see the youtube ads