Author Topic: Finland, Progressive dream or nightmare  (Read 2442 times)

Offline FiddyBeowulf

• "Its on, its off, its on, its off." "That is called blinking, boys."
Finland, Progressive dream or nightmare
« on: March 22, 2016, 09:00:44 AM »

Finland wants to give everyone there roughly $900 a month to do with what they will. The poor's $900 will not be taxed and the rich will have nearly it all taxed. A progressives dream come true, right? But there is a hitch, Finland is going to dismantle nearly all social welfare programs and the bureaucracies that support them.    :evillaugh:

https://www.commentarymagazine.com/politics-ideas/great-experiment-finland/
Fire...BAD!!! - John Fetterman

The policies that are indorsed by this party, that they backer of which are much of the 1 percent, causes a social structure much like the one back before the Revolution.

-Words of wisdom from Lady Freedom Returns

"Arguing with liberals...it's like playing chess with a pigeon; no matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon is just going to knock over the pieces, crap on the board and strut around like it's victorious." -- Anonymous

"A hat should be taken off when you greet a lady and left off for the rest of your life. Nothing looks more stupid than a hat." - P. J. O'Rourke

Offline docstew

• My Wife is awesome!
Re: Finland, Progressive dream or nightmare
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2016, 01:02:29 PM »
Sounds like the FairTax prebate, which is intended to cover the costs of taxes on basic food, medicine, and clothes. Everyone gets it. It's assumed that the wealthy will get higher-end products, while those lower on the economic ladder will get basic items, therby reducing their tax liability.
What I love about the FairTax is that EVERYONE pays. You want those new Jordans? Taxes paid at point of sale. Got your money selling crack? I don't care, you still gotta eat. Taxes paid at point of sale. You here illegally? No prebate for you! You have to eat too. Taxes paid at point of sale.
Make a billion bucks, but don't buy anything? No tax. Your income (how much and from where) isn't the gov't's business.

Offline TXJohnny

• Probationary (Probie)
Re: Finland, Progressive dream or nightmare
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2016, 11:34:16 AM »
Having lived in Finland for 2 years, I doubt they can or will eliminate all social welfare programs. The cost of living is high, so the "poorest of the poor" will starve in droves on $900 per month.