Author Topic: what the---(deleted)  (Read 3937 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
what the---(deleted)
« on: August 19, 2015, 03:44:07 PM »
Okay, I am really pissed off.  I got tired of that blue box telling me to upgrade to Windows 10 or Microsoft 10 or whatever it is, and finally said yeah, go ahead, which it did while I was gone this afternoon.

When I returned, this is what it looked like:

Where the fudging Hell is the Internet Explorer icon, or shortcut?  That blue “E” on the new taskbar is NOT the Internet Explorer icon or shortcut; it’s something else that offers no explanation about what it is.

So I get to the above, and type in “conservativecave” to get myself on the internet……somewhere.

I figure now safely on the internet, I can find my favorites.

Uh, no way; I’m compelled to go to the icon in the uppermost left-hand corner and open the “favorites” file, to get to where I want to go.

What the fudging Hell did Microsoft do?  And……why?
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Re: what the---(deleted)
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2015, 03:53:26 PM »
I haven't upgraded to W10 yet.  Is the Start screen still there?  There should be a link to Internet Explorer there.  Right-click on it and select 'pin to taskbar'.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2015, 04:23:50 PM »
They killed internet explorer.  :rant:  I upgraded one computer from Windows 7 to Win 10 and I regret it. It messes with my wi-fi adapter every time I shut it down and I have to reset it.

Win 10 also makes it harder to find anything  on that computer. There are four hard drives and 3 of  them have mostly music and movies. I'm half tempted to reinstall Windows 7 on it, but it would take forever to run the updates.

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2015, 05:21:18 AM »
They killed internet explorer.  :rant:  I upgraded one computer from Windows 7 to Win 10 and I regret it. It messes with my wi-fi adapter every time I shut it down and I have to reset it.

Win 10 also makes it harder to find anything  on that computer. There are four hard drives and 3 of  them have mostly music and movies. I'm half tempted to reinstall Windows 7 on it, but it would take forever to run the updates.

I woke up this morning, hoping all these "issues" had resolved themselves while I was sleeping, but alas no.

I don't like jumping over hurdles, going through walls, to get to the internet.   Does one suppose downloading Firefox would work, giving one immediate access to the internet once the computer's turned on?  I'm hostile about adding my own software, thus the question.

Also, because the star that used to indicate "favorites" no longer does any such thing, one has to go to one's "favorite" files, open that, and click on the appropriate line.  Surely this is not meant to be a permanent state of affairs.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Wayne

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2015, 08:35:58 AM »
  You can uninstall it and revert to your old server. Look in settings . I think . I loaded 10 and the same day went back to 7. 10 would be okay IF I had a touch screen. For now NOT.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2015, 10:13:25 AM »
I woke up this morning, hoping all these "issues" had resolved themselves while I was sleeping, but alas no.

I don't like jumping over hurdles, going through walls, to get to the internet.   Does one suppose downloading Firefox would work, giving one immediate access to the internet once the computer's turned on?  I'm hostile about adding my own software, thus the question.

Also, because the star that used to indicate "favorites" no longer does any such thing, one has to go to one's "favorite" files, open that, and click on the appropriate line.  Surely this is not meant to be a permanent state of affairs.

Firefox might work.

I had Google Chrome installed on that PC and it was still there and still works. Shockwave flash,(it lets you watch videos and play games online), was giving me some problems, but I fixed those.

Offline Mike B the Cajun

• Pot Stirrer
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2015, 04:18:37 PM »
To find IE, open the start menu-little windows on the bottom left of the screen-, click on "all apps"-bottom left of the start screen-, scroll down to "Windows Accessories", and on the drop-down menu, right-click on Internet Explorer, click on "pin to taskbar",  and the familiar IE icon will appear on the bottom of your screen.

Now, open Edge, click on the 3 dots, upper right side, click on "Settings", click on "Import favorites from another browser", click on Internet Explorer, and your old favorites should be in the Favorites menu. They will need to be organized, because they will be imported in alphabetical order.

Hope that helps.
Don't get stuck on stupid...

I am of the CauCajun persuasion...  :-)

Leftwing lunatic thought process concerning police: I'm armed with bad breath and body odor. The police are armed with a badge, a tazer, a 9mm, and a shotgun.  I should antagonize them.

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2015, 06:45:52 PM »
To find IE, open the start menu-little windows on the bottom left of the screen-, click on "all apps"-bottom left of the start screen-, scroll down to "Windows Accessories", and on the drop-down menu, right-click on Internet Explorer, click on "pin to taskbar",  and the familiar IE icon will appear on the bottom of your screen.

Now, open Edge, click on the 3 dots, upper right side, click on "Settings", click on "Import favorites from another browser", click on Internet Explorer, and your old favorites should be in the Favorites menu. They will need to be organized, because they will be imported in alphabetical order.

Hope that helps.

Thanks, sir, and I'd already done all that, figured it out.

It's good to know however that I did it right, thanks to your directions.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Mike B the Cajun

• Pot Stirrer
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2015, 11:20:18 AM »
Thanks, sir, and I'd already done all that, figured it out.

It's good to know however that I did it right, thanks to your directions.

[/No problem, Frank, glad to help, even if it was just to calm your mind.

Don't get stuck on stupid...

I am of the CauCajun persuasion...  :-)

Leftwing lunatic thought process concerning police: I'm armed with bad breath and body odor. The police are armed with a badge, a tazer, a 9mm, and a shotgun.  I should antagonize them.

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2015, 11:27:11 AM »
[/No problem, Frank, glad to help, even if it was just to calm your mind.

It's taking a while, because they released Windows10 before they worked out all the bugs, and a novice, unable to understand the quirks, with a unfinished computer program gets a lot of nervous moments.
apres moi, le deluge