Author Topic: Dutch Ovens  (Read 14285 times)

Offline Dblhaul

Dutch Ovens
« on: August 20, 2015, 12:28:03 AM »
I'm cooking more and more with the Dutch Ovens I got. From Cornish game hens , enchaladas, to chicken pot pie. Any more ideas / recipies out there?

Offline catsmtrods

Re: Dutch Ovens
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2015, 05:25:22 AM »
I do this a lot in cooler weather. I's great! We did a pot roast with all the trimmings while camping last week.

http://dontwastethecrumbs.com/2015/02/no-knead-overnight-artisan-bread/
"Liberalism is an essentially feminine, submissive world view. Perhaps a better adjective than feminine is infantile. It is the world view of men who do not have the moral toughness, the spiritual strength to stand up and do single combat with life, who cannot adjust to the reality that the world is not a huge, pink-and-blue, padded nursery in which the lions lie down with the lambs and everyone lives happily ever after."

~ Dr. William Pierce

"How many more times are we going to cower under tables and chairs, whimpering like mindless dogs, thinking that someone else has the responsibility to save and protect us?"

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2015, 10:34:26 PM »
I use mine for just about everything.  Daily cooking, baking, frying... it just makes food taste so much better.

Two words: pan pizza.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Dblhaul

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2015, 11:46:39 PM »
I'm doing the three legged dutch ovens. Cooking on campfires and briquetts.

Finding that temp controll is the main thing, more coals on top!

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2015, 03:35:37 PM »
Resurrecting a dead thread . . . My cousin takes his on camping trips, and does a rock salt-encrusted prime rib on said trips.  He says it's great--but what he then does is make ice cream with the Dutch oven!  The rock salt does wonders for the ice cream.  I'll have to get his recipe and share it here.
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2015, 03:38:24 PM »
Resurrecting a dead thread . . . My cousin takes his on camping trips, and does a rock salt-encrusted prime rib on said trips.  He says it's great--but what he then does is make ice cream with the Dutch oven!  The rock salt does wonders for the ice cream.  I'll have to get his recipe and share it here.
Lomo al Trapo

I want to try this at home.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Boudicca

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2015, 07:17:28 PM »
Lomo al Trapo

I want to try this at home.

This guy obviously has perfected the recipe!  I want to try it as well, after the New Year. Christmas belongs to ham and then ham and pinto beans soup/stew and Jambalaya.  Both of which, incidentally, belong in my Dutch oven.
Sneaking into a country doesn't make you an immigrant any
more than breaking into someone's house makes you part of the family.
(Poster bolky from thehill.com blog discussion)

Offline Dblhaul

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2016, 11:47:31 PM »
I seem to continue to grow my cast iron collection. Chicken fryer now!

Offline Dblhaul

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2017, 11:23:07 PM »
New Lodge pan arrived today. A Great Smokies pan, 20% of the cost went to fire victums in Tenn.

Offline HAPPY2BME

• For The People And By The People
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2017, 06:31:29 PM »
Dutch ovens are the traditional goto for slow oven cooking.

We replaced our's with a much more efficient method though.

Its called INSTANT POT, and is replaces the both the dutch oven, the crock pot, and the pressure cooker all at the same time.