Author Topic: Chris Evans is Your New Top Gear Host  (Read 10665 times)

Offline txradioguy

• Minister of Propaganda
  • Rule 39
Chris Evans is Your New Top Gear Host
« on: June 17, 2015, 04:57:39 AM »
Chris Evans has revealed he has received the blessing of Top Gear's former hosts, after it was announced he would be taking over the BBC show.

Speaking on his Radio 2 breakfast show earlier, he said he had texted Jeremy Clarkson, Richard Hammond and James May before the announcement was made.

Hammond, he said, had wished him good luck and said he "didn't blame him" for taking the job.

Clarkson also wished him "the best of luck", Evans said.

Clarkson "then gave me a piece of advice which I'm not going to repeat on the radio", the broadcaster told his listeners.

Clarkson's contract was not renewed by the BBC after he punched a Top Gear producer in March.

Evans, a noted car enthusiast, had previously ruled himself out of becoming taking over the show.

Evans said he had wanted Top Gear to carry on with Hammond and May and had not wanted to "contaminate the situation" by throwing his hat in the ring.

"Whenever I said 'I categorically rule myself out of running for office', it was because I didn't want to be a pawn in a chess game involving three of my friends."

The situation changed this week, he explained, with Hammond and May confirming they would not continue on the programme in Clarkson's absence.

This led to a conversation with Mark Linsey, the BBC's controller of entertainment commissioning, and an offer he felt he had to accept.

Top Gear, said Evans, was "the biggest television show in the world" and his "favourite television show of all time".

"I love producing TV... and so I said yes," continued the former TFI Friday host, who will lead an as yet unconfirmed line-up of new presenters.

Hammond, Evans went on, had told him he was "designed and built" for the Top Gear job and that his hiring was "always the BBC's very best option".

Evans also hinted obliquely that James May may play some role on the programme in future.

"We're going to meet up today and tomorrow and talk about things and who knows what might happen there."

Evans has signed a three-year deal to host and produce the BBC Two show, one of the corporation's most popular international exports.

It is watched by 350 million viewers worldwide, with overseas sales worth an estimated £50m a year.

Evans has also received the backing of Chris Goffey, who co-hosted Top Gear in the 1980s and 1990s.

The broadcaster, Goffey told BBC Breakfast, was "the obvious choice", asking: "Who else in TV is really clued-up about the cars and has got a persona to match Jeremy's?"

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-33162666
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Creator of the largest Fight Club thread ever!

http://conservativecave.com/index.php?topic=83285.0