Author Topic: Why Yes, That Creepy Icon Is Your Free Copy of Windows 10  (Read 2621 times)

Offline mrclose

Why Yes, That Creepy Icon Is Your Free Copy of Windows 10
« on: June 01, 2015, 07:41:06 PM »

Saw this plop itself into my tray this afternoon and went looking.

Found an explanation for those of you who discovered it 'cluttering' their desktop icon tray too!

All around the world, Windows users are discovering a new icon in their notification trays—an offer to reserve a free copy of Windows 10. Sounds too good to be true, yes? Except Windows 10 actually is a free upgrade, and this really does appear to be the way you’ll get it.

Click on that icon, and up pops a description of how the upgrade process will work. (Were you hoping you’d get to download Windows 10 today? Sorry, this is just the reservation process.) Give Microsoft your email address—or not—and then Windows 10 will automatically download to your computer once Microsoft pulls the trigger.

When will that be? July is a pretty good bet. If you want Windows 10 on a disc, you can probably expect that to arrive at the end of August.

http://gizmodo.com/why-yes-that-creepy-icon-is-your-free-copy-of-window-1708121347
"When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead.
It is difficult only for the others.

It is the same when you are stupid."

~ Anonymous

Offline thundley4

Re: Why Yes, That Creepy Icon Is Your Free Copy of Windows 10
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2015, 07:52:59 PM »
I noticed it last night .  I told my wife we will try it out on an unused laptop before putting it on any computer we use daily.

Offline freedumb2003b

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2015, 09:00:42 PM »
I am on my "fun" computer -- should be great for Windows 10.

Could be ME, could be 7 -- the suspense is killing me.

I will let you know how it turns out.

Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an ax

Hello to the Baizuo lurkers from DU, DI, JPR and Huffpo

DUmmies can no more understand the "Cave" than a rat can understand a thunderbolt, but they fear it just the same. Fear the "Cave", DUmmies. Fear it well. Big Dog 12-Jan-2015

Proud charter member of the Death Squad Hate Force! https://conservativecave.com/home/index.php?topic=112331.msg1386168#msg1386168

Ted Kennedy is the only person with an actual confirmed kill in the war on women.

Offline Mike B the Cajun

• Pot Stirrer
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2015, 05:01:57 PM »
If Evaluation Build 10130, the current iteration of W10. is any indication, it still needs some refinement before the final release. The start screen is still that smart-phone, icon-filed thing. My big bitch with W10 is the lack of a favorites organizer in Atom, the new browser. Everything alphabetical, no choices. The Atom browser is just a warmed-over IE. Other than that, it seems to be pretty bug-free so far. We'll see.   
Don't get stuck on stupid...

I am of the CauCajun persuasion...  :-)

Leftwing lunatic thought process concerning police: I'm armed with bad breath and body odor. The police are armed with a badge, a tazer, a 9mm, and a shotgun.  I should antagonize them.

Offline mrclose

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2015, 05:24:45 PM »
For those who might be asking:

I have multiple computers, do I have to download Windows 10 on each computer?

You can download a .ISO file and upgrade each computer offline. The ISO should be available by the time Windows 10 launches.

Windows 10 will be offered two ways to existing Windows 7 and Windows 8/8.1 users. You will be able to download the update through  Windows Update or you can download .ISO media and use it do an in place upgrade.

How to: upgrade from previous versions of Windows using Windows 10 ISO file

How to: upgrade from previous versions of Windows using Windows 10 - Microsoft Community
"When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead.
It is difficult only for the others.

It is the same when you are stupid."

~ Anonymous