Author Topic: okay, what is this?  (Read 1927 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
okay, what is this?
« on: May 07, 2015, 05:39:56 AM »
Early this morning, I had problems opening up the computer, and the only way I could get out of it to restart it was the old Alt+Ctrl+Delete bit.

After which this popped up.

Now, what is one supposed to do with this?

The numbers kept changing as I looked at it.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
Re: okay, what is this?
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2015, 05:45:42 AM »
I nadined it.

What is Task Manager?

Applies to Windows Vista

Task Manager shows you the programs, processes, and services that are currently running on your computer. You can use Task Manager to monitor your computer’s performance or to close a program that is not responding.

If you are connected to a network, you can also use Task Manager to view network status and see how your network is functioning. If more than one user is connected to your computer, you can see who is connected, what they are working on, and you can send them a message.

I'm not sure if I'm on Windows Vista; I keep forgetting, and it's a hassle to look around for that information.

<<<not connected to any network.

Okay then; that's what it is, but what does one do with it?
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Re: okay, what is this?
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2015, 10:39:45 AM »
It shows everything running on your computer.  If a program freezes or stops running, you can use the Task Manager to stop it.  If your computer is running slowly, you can look at the Task Manager and see what is eating up all your resources and what your computer performance is (high disk activity, excessive memory use).
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.