Author Topic: Father Serra - A Controversial Canonization  (Read 11083 times)

Offline sargentodiaz

Father Serra - A Controversial Canonization
« on: March 01, 2015, 02:44:40 PM »
Where's the “controversy” coming from? The Left, of course.

Yes, Serra was a zealous missionary and he “took away” ancient Indian cultures from the natives of California.

But, just what was that “culture” other than living like animals, day to day, with no future and never traveling more than one day from where they were born. Crouching in the rain or starving when there was none. Being fodder for the massive Grizzly Bears that freely roamed the area.

All they had to look forward to from the day of their birth was hardship leading to eventual death. Father Serra and his fellow missionaries gave them filled bellies, relief from harsh weather – and the hope that there was something more to life than just dying and ending it all.

Anyhow, the story is @ http://americamagazine.org/issue/controversial-canonization

Offline obumazombie

• Siege engine to lib fortresses
  • Last of the great minorities
Re: Father Serra - A Controversial Canonization
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2015, 04:01:24 PM »
When I was stationed at Fort Ord, I got to work extensively at Hunter Liggett military reservation.
Junipero Serra peak is the tallest in the area, and the monastery is right in the middle of the area.
I never got to tour the monastery but it was still active.
If he is sainted I will be glad for him, his namesake and all his accomplishments.
There were only two options for gender. At last count there are at least 12, according to libs. By that standard, I'm a male lesbian.

Offline sargentodiaz

Re: Father Serra - A Controversial Canonization
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2015, 12:29:24 PM »
I did my BCT at Fort Ord in 1957-58.

When I went back in, went through the processing station at Ord.

And, in the 60's, I spent six months at the Defense Language Institute at the Presidio and lived in base housing at Ord. Spent a lot of time playing the golf course.  Everyone though we were Germans as that's all we spoke when playing.