Author Topic: why does  (Read 16448 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
why does
« on: March 03, 2016, 08:50:18 PM »
Why does it take forever for a page that's mostly youtubes for comments, to load?

As an example, I offer the latest page of the "what are you listening to" thread--although I'd noticed this problem as early as last Thanksgiving, when I first started a thread on Christmas music.

It takes ****ing forever, and one can't do anything else while waiting for it to load, other than sit there fuming.

I can't count the number of times I've gone to youtube and selected something to bring over here.....and then had to play and re-play and re-re-play and re-re-re-play the piece while waiting for the posting page over here to get loaded so I may copy-and-paste the link.

I swear.  There was one thing earlier today--that I had to play four ****ing times while waiting for the posting page to load so I could copy-and-paste the link.

I assume this is a software flaw, and if so, is SMF doing anything about it?
apres moi, le deluge

Offline BattleHymn

• Not right, but not left, either.
Re: why does
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2016, 09:01:08 PM »

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2016, 09:03:39 PM »
Is this the reason?

http://www.labnol.org/internet/light-youtube-embeds/27941/

Thanks, BattleHymn, sir.  That does indeed seem to be the problem.

I'd seen that you'd responded about a youtube I'd posted, and was going to respond to your comment, but then, damn it, it was taking forever for the "reply" page to load, so I said "fudge it" and walked away.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline BattleHymn

• Not right, but not left, either.
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2016, 09:09:39 PM »
Thanks, BattleHymn, sir.  That does indeed seem to be the problem.

I'd seen that you'd responded about a youtube I'd posted, and was going to respond to your comment, but then, damn it, it was taking forever for the "reply" page to load, so I said "fudge it" and walked away.

Yeah.  I'm on a Linux machine and that page still bogs down while trying to load.  No worries. 

Offline thundley4

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2016, 04:14:23 AM »
I have the same problem with video pages and I don't think it's my internet.

Offline FlaGator

• Another Pilgrim
  • Democracy can survive anything except Democrats
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2016, 04:58:34 AM »
This may be a browser issue. There was an option on many browsers to wait until all content is loaded before a page is displayed. Do some research on your browser to see if this is an option and if it can be turned off. That way the text will be displayed while it still loads images and videos.

I am using Chrome and I don't have this issue on either my windows 10 computer or my linux computer.
"My enemy's enemy is the enemy I kill last."
Klingon Proverb.

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2016, 07:11:30 AM »
This may be a browser issue. There was an option on many browsers to wait until all content is loaded before a page is displayed. Do some research on your browser to see if this is an option and if it can be turned off. That way the text will be displayed while it still loads images and videos.

I am using Chrome and I don't have this issue on either my windows 10 computer or my linux computer.

I use Explorer and Edge.  I right-click "properties," and don't see such an option, unless it's worded wholly differently.  Where do I find if this is an option?
apres moi, le deluge

Offline FlaGator

• Another Pilgrim
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2016, 09:44:35 AM »
I use Explorer and Edge.  I right-click "properties," and don't see such an option, unless it's worded wholly differently.  Where do I find if this is an option?

I'll look around and see what I can find.
Klingon Proverb.

Offline FlaGator

• Another Pilgrim
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2016, 09:51:22 AM »
I'll look around and see what I can find.

It seems like this is the default action for browsers now days (to display page while loading). I have found some stuff you can try to see if it helps

Try clicking “. . .” for more options, and choosing a new InPrivate browsing window. If this solves your problem, there could be trackers or other issues with a normal page.
Try clearing out Edge data out by clicking on “. . .” and choosing Settings.
Then click “choose what to clear” under Clear browser data. Delete your browsing history and cached files.

Restart Edge and see if it works successfully.

You can look for these errors with something called the System File Checker.
On your keyboard, bring up your options by pressing the Windows key + X.
From the list that appears, choose Command Prompt(Admin).
In the Prompt box, type “SFC / scannow” (no quotation marks) and hit enter. This will scan for any system file errors that may be causing you trouble and try to fix them.
If it finds an error that can’t be fixed, look it up to see how to proceed.

Read more: http://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/heres-how-to-fix-17-common-problems-with-microsoft-edge/2/#ixzz41wwkXQXs
Klingon Proverb.