Author Topic: Car people, please help!  (Read 10503 times)

Offline dixierose

Car people, please help!
« on: February 17, 2015, 05:23:43 PM »
My son has a 2000 Hyundai Elantra. I bought it at the Goodwill for 2000.00 about 6 or 7 years ago. It's been a great car...until recently.

The engine dies when you hit the brake; but not EVERY time you hit the brake. It's odd, the car will run fine one day, then the next it'll shut off when you hit the brake. In those cases, it will start right back up sometimes....other times it has to sit for a hour or so before cranking back up.

I had Autozone hook the "reader" to it; and he mentioned a vacuum leak, a transmission problem (he was vague on that); and something about the crankshaft.

So, does anyone have ANY ideas they can float my way?
When Harry Truman was President of the United States, he had a sign on his desk in the White House that said: "The buck stops here." If Barack Obama had a sign on his desk, it would say: "The buck stops with Bush." - Thomas Sowell

Offline thundley4

Re: Car people, please help!
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2015, 06:16:44 PM »
Does it stay running if he keeps his foot on the gas while braking?  Does it happen in reverse?

Looking around online, it can be a lot of things. Vacuum leak in the break lines, low idle speed, and a lot of others.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2015, 07:30:19 PM »
Does it happen when the car is moving or parked?

Hyundai issued a recall for the mass air flow sensor wiring harness.  You would have to contact Hyundai with the car's VIN to see if the repair has already been done.

NHTSA recall notice

This guy had an issue with his evaporation control canister, but an evaporation issue should have generated a computer code.
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kd-ix36A_Tk[/youtube]

If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline dixierose

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2015, 10:37:19 AM »
Thanks ya'll. I'll check those out.

When Harry Truman was President of the United States, he had a sign on his desk in the White House that said: "The buck stops here." If Barack Obama had a sign on his desk, it would say: "The buck stops with Bush." - Thomas Sowell